Keep Cervix? Personal pros and Cons, please! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep Cervix? Personal pros and Cons, please! Keep Cervix? Personal pros and Cons, please!

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Keep Cervix? Personal pros and Cons, please!

I have read a few articles on the pros and cons of keeping your cervix, but would now like some personal opinions.

What are mini periods like, anyway?

Your help is very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM

i have never lived without mine so all i can say is that life is good with my cervix and i get no mini periods at all. what kind of hysterectomy are you having? are you keeping your ovaries?
Unread 06-28-2007, 09:37 AM

Hi there dscoochie,

Keeping my cervix was not an option for me and it had fallen so far that intercourse and even tampon insertion were extremely painful. I have also never experienced the big O from my cervix being stimulated, so it really was no great loss. For me, one plus is that I can now rule cervical cancer out of my future.

All the best with your research and decisions and use the "search this forum" to help you find other threads that have assisted with this. Take care and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:39 AM

I had my cervix taken out when I had my surgery 2 yrs. ago. They say it's possible you lose your sex drive and ability to orgasm after that happens, but I must say they are wrong. A few months after my surgery I was ready for sex like in the beginning of my marriage. Now I do have little episodes where the feeling is stronger than others, but for the most part sex is so much better bc there is no more pain. As for miniperiods, I don't have ANY problems whatsoever with that. I don't bleed at all any more. I hope this helps a little!!

Jen
Unread 06-28-2007, 10:42 AM

I had my cervix removed with my TAH. I had previous per cancerous cells, a cone biopsey and a polyp removed over the years. I am glad that I never have to worry about any of those ever again.

Too soon for me to tell anyone about sex without a cervix. I am only in week 4 of recovery. I kept my ovaries though. I can tell you that in my mind, my sex drive appears to NOT have diminished. =)
Unread 06-28-2007, 10:46 AM

I am keeping my cervix. After 8 C-sections there is a lot of scar tissue and the dr. felt it was safer to cut above the cervix. The lower you go the more risk there is to the bladder and he felt that since none of my children has 'passed through the cervix' it is still healthy and strong and there isn't a reason to remove it. However, he has promised to cauterize the cervix so that I don't hve any mini periods.

Liz
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Hi Dscoochie,

I kept my cervix. I had normal pap smears for years and a sturdy cervix and my Dr. felt it was a good choice to leave it. My Dr. told me in pre-op that he thought the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex.

Here is a recent article from the National Women's Health Resource Center (NWHRC) on the cervix. Might help you with your research:

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/healthywomen/28042/

I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and I have not had any mini-periods.

In the end...do what is *best* for you.

Mary
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:16 AM

I had my cervix removed. I did some reseach before surgery and decided to have it out. I did not want any chance of getting any mini periods. Also my fibroid was very low in my uterus so the doc was happy with my decision. He said it was easier and safer just to remove it. He also said that it is difficult to remove the cervix later. I have no regrets and sex is fine. No problems with O's or anything.

I wish you all the best with your descision and upcoming surgery.

Helti
TAH
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:27 AM

My Dr. and I talked about it yesterday and he's taking mine. He feels that why leave it and risk cancer when he's already going to be in there. He said very few of his patients experience difficulty with having a pleasurable sex life without it. For me also, It hurts when my cervix is hit during sex, so good ridance to it.
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:37 AM

My cervix was removed along with everything else! Everything was sick in one way or the other. I'm not missing it one bit! Sex is better than ever!
Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register