26 and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

26 and scared 26 and scared

Unread 05-03-2002, 07:38 PM
26 and scared

Hello to all of you...
I am so glad that I found this website.
First of all I just want to say that I am 26 years old with 2 children 9 & 6 (I know, I am so young). Happily married for 12 years. I have had excruciating pain in my pelvic are for about 3 years now. First, the Dr. did a laporoscopy and she found a cyst on my ovary about the grapefruit size. The pain was still there. I went to a new Dr. last September because I had uncontrollable periods that lasted about 20 days out of the month and very heavy. They did an exam and it came back that I had cervical cancer, stage 0. I did not care for the Dr. much and changed Dr.'s again. The new Dr. did a laporoscopy and found nothing except that I needed my appendix taken out. This whole time I am still have very bad pelvic pain. So, I had my appendix removed by a general surgeon. He comes back with if my pain is to extreme I should have my ovary removed. All the Dr.'s know of the cervical cancer and say nothing about it. I once got a reply, "it is stage 0 still and you are so young". Very frustrated and not knowing what to do, I did a lot of research and realized that I needed to make a Dr. listen to me. Today, I had an appt. with a new Dr. and he is going to do an abdominal hystorectomy removing both ovaries and cervix uterus. My bladder is falling so he will do a tuck or something (I forget what he called it). I am so overwhelmed and exhausted from all of this. I have many more ongoing symptoms but I have already made this message to long so I will spare you of that. I do not know when the procedure will be yet. I am just wondering if any of you have some advice as to what to expect. I will be taking hormones and what should I expect from that? Will I gain weight, become more moody, get divorced, what will happen? How long of a hospital stay can I expect? I will ask my Dr. when we have the pre-op appt. I am just a bit anxious to hear from women that have experienced this.
Thank you and the best of luck to all of you. Thank you very much for this websit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Poor Dear

You poor thing... I am sorry that I cannot relate to the cancer thing... but I just wanted to give you a and say that everyone is here to listen when you need to talk. It sounds to me like you know what you need to do. This site has given me such relief just by the amount of info there is. The pull down menus on the front page are invaluable. Look through them.. look at the cancer board and hang in there.
Unread 05-03-2002, 11:26 PM
Hello Beme

Welcome to Hystersisters. I am so glad you found us. And so very sorry you have gone through so much. You have come to the right place for information and support.
First let me say that you are going to be okay. You will get through this and life will be good again. I know it is very overwhelming right now.
Please take the time to go through all of the pull down menu's on the Home Page. There is a lot to learn there from other women who have gone through this successfully.
For most of us you can expect to be in the hospital 2-3 days. You will be kept comfortable while you are there on different pain meds. On a scale of 1-10 I can honestly say my pain never went over a 1. You will be up walking probably within 24 hours after surgery. The more you walk the better you will feel and the faster you will recover.
The average recovery time, in terms of going back to work or resuming sexual activity is 6-8 weeks. But during that time you will get stronger every day. It is important that you get lot's of rest, take walks to build your strength and take very good care of yourself. Try to have someone lined up to help with the kids for a few weeks. You may be able to drive and do very light tasks after 2-3 weeks. It can take 6-12months for a full recovery. But most of us feel pretty good around 6-8 weeks.
Please visit the Hormone Jungle for some insight on hormones. Yes you will need to take them. I am using a little patch on my rear and feel totally like I did before. No, I haven't gained any weight. There is life and sex and good relationships after hysterectomy. We promise.
Also, for support please visit the Cancer Concerns forum . Here is the link:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for....php?forumid=6
Keep us posted on your surgery date.
Here is a link to a list of questions to ask your doctor next time you see him. It is pretty thorough.:
https://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php

Good luck and let us know how else we can help.
We are here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 11:35 PM
26 and scared

Oh sweetie,
This is so much for you, at such a young age.

A year ago I was told I needed a hyster........ and I put it off. At that time my friend went in to have a complete hyster/ab incission everything gone.
I made it a point to go and see her the very next day to SEE her face and see if she was in pain etc.
I could NOT believe my eyes......... she was sooooooooooo okay. Sore......... but okay. I was totally amazed.

I just had hyster 5 days ago, and my proceedure was not an ab incission......... and I swear to you from the bottom of my heart, it was NOT anywhere near the horrible pictures I had in my head.
Others told me this......... and I did not listen...... as you might not b able to do either.
But I will tell you again.............. it is nothing like you are imagining.
As for hormones, I do not take them....... but the many many woman I know who do, are perfectly fine....... even keel emotionally and NONE have gained weight or gotten divorice ..

You have ever right to be scared and confused....... this is scary.
It is the unknown.........and being fear is filling in all the parts we havent as yet experienced........ it only goes to reason that all the parts are fearful.

We are all here for you
Take care
xo DonnaFay
Unread 05-04-2002, 01:49 AM
26 and scared

Thank you so much for the support. I have been on this website all night reading everything that I can find. I can not tell you how much relief this is (as I am sure you all know). I am very excited (and nervous) for the hystorectomy. I can not wait until Monday when they call me with the date. The thought of not being in pain gives me such great joy. The one thing that I truly fear is that I will have the procedure done and like the other three operations, the pain will still be there. I luckily have a very great and supportive husband and he has helped me so much with other operations that I have had. I am forever greatful to all of you. Every woman on this website is so strong and caring. I do not have friends that have experienced this situation so it is very comforting to know there is always a listening ear out there.
I am forever greatful.

Mandy
Unread 05-04-2002, 06:05 AM
26 and scared

Hi there...I am 28 so do not feel to bad...I didnt have the cancer but I know a friend who did and they frooze it....and she hasnt had any problems..But i was having alot of problems and my back hurt all the time and in the pelvic area too......ecspecially during romantic times and it didnt make it any fun.....They left my ovaries but they took the uterus and cervix and they had to do a bladder thing and I had a severe case of endometriosis where everything was smahed together and growing together....They undo it all and repaired my bladder and my uterus was as hard as a rock they said luckly I have two kids 9, 8......

My husband was with me the whole time he slept on a chair that turned out into a bed and I was in the hospital two nights and three days...I had my surgery on Friday afternoon I went home Sunday afternoon....I was determined I wasnt going to lay around acting like a baby..If I was able to put up with the pain for two and a half years then I was able to do it now....I got up took my shower and it was painful to get up because you are very sore..I had an IV with demeral in it but everytime I used it it knocked me out and I didnt want to be out.....Then I started drinking lots and lots of water and walking they where amazed on how much I wanted to walk but it made me feel good.....I am home and the doctor is amzed how well I am recovering...Everybody is different so it may of helped me but may not someone else and they need to do as their body feels and if it says wow stop you need to stop...

Just remember to and then get plenty of and then to when you can....

I hope this helps....

Jodie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register