Am I doing too much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I doing too much? Am I doing too much?

Unread 12-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Am I doing too much?

I had my LAH on 11/26, so its been just over a week.
Since Monday I have been dressed each day and up from about 11-12 midnight. Granted in the evenings I lie on the couch and watch t.v. but during the day I'm up and down the stairs (I have a 3 level condo) and yesterday I wanted some fresh air and walked about 750 yards down the road and also my hubby drove me to a store cos I wanted to buy some curtains on sale and we walked round the store slowly. Last night my tum was a little sore (the kind of soreness you get from doing too many sit-ups).

I'm just wondering from reading other posts if I'm doing too much? I'm sort of a bit bored, although I have books to read, I just want to be up and doing stuff - I was quite active before, I love yoga and would regularly walk about 2 miles in good weather - I know I can't do this yet but I really miss it. Hubby's really good - he keeps telling me to take it easy - but I dunno - I almost feel guilty for just sitting/lying around all the time. Also even with sleeping pills, I'm still having a little trouble getting to sleep - I think its from inactivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Am I doing too much?

I had a TAH, and a week later I was at the grocery with my husband pushing a cart, to help me keep my balance. I was told by my doc that stairs were ok, as long as I take them slowly. I went up and down one flight of stairs to my sister's apartment and did fine with it. I think I walked around at the mall, too, if I remember correctly.

You're probably fine, as long as you are feeling fine.
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Am I doing too much?

I was walking 2.5 miles at 2 weeks, and boy, did it feel good. If you were quite fit before your op, then your recovery will probably go faster. It's important to look after your mind as well as your body, so if you can comfortably get out and about, your mood will be better than if you were stuck inside all of the time. Believe me...if you've done too much, you will know it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Am I doing too much?

Boy you guys are amazing. I had a total hysterectomy, abdominal surgery on Oct. 30. I pretty much laid around that first week, but walked inside the house around a track I worked out. After one week I walked outside about a half a bloc one day and then the block the next. I walk a mile a day now. It's 5 weeks today. I love to walk and did 2 miles a day most week days. Post-op I didn't go out until my third week. Went to the store, drove, and came home and rested. I find now that on those days I do more, I'm pretty tired at night. And I also have the feeling still of not wanting to do a lot. I'm going to be 65 in January, so I think this has something to do with a slower recovery. The good thing is everyday is better. I've enjoyed this time letting go of everything and not going in too many directions.
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Am I doing too much?

I think our bodies will tell us if we're doing too much. I had my tah 17 days ago and from the first day back home I was changing diapers and cooking. I haven't felt overly tired, and the pain has gotten better and better. I was also in very good shape before the surgery so I think that makes a difference. I'm sure that yoga will be a good way to ease back into regular life later on!
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Am I doing too much?

Hi! I had my LAVH on 27/10 and still wouldn't be able to walk a mile. Admittedly, I was extremely unwell before the surgery but I do think that if you are feeling O.K. and aren't having any pain then you should keep it up. It is so great that you're feeling better!
Hugs and Kisses Ashanti
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Am I doing too much?

i had my surgery on the 19th and have problems with bleeding does anyone else do that
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Am I doing too much?

I think I have been out 4 times since my surgery on Nov 19th. I have been up and about in the house. Since I have the lovely swelly belly, I have been wearing my pjs in the house. When I go out, it is sweat pants which I feel kind of odd wearing to church.

I get tired very easily. I hope to go to town in the morning to do some brief errands, and on Saturday I have a employee lunch at a restaurant.

I had my staples for 12 days, which I think hampered me in getting out. It just hurt too much. Plus the weather has been lousy here in Northern Indiana, and that has definitely put a slow down on my going out.

I hope to get out more next week. I am about ready to go stir crazy at home.
Unread 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Am I doing too much?

I'm at week 3 and was up walking the second day and out and about (mall shopping) after 7 days. I have been walking on the treadmill doing a couple of miles per day since week 2 and feeling great but I can tell when I overdo it because my belly swells and becomes tender.
I was fine with the walking and going up and down the stairs but definitley overdid it two nights ago by going to my work holiday party for 2 hours and wearing boots with a heel (yes, I know, what was I thinking??) and standing for too long. I was treated to a pedicure yesterday and today I had to cancel everything because my belly is super tender!
I agree with Fuzzy Penguin as I too was in quite good shape before my surgery and feel this was an advantage to getting up and moving - however I feel it becomes a disadvantage to me when I expect I am capable of doing what I did before 3 weeks after major surgery.
I have another holiday party to attend tomorrow afternoon, but I'm committed to wearing flats to this one!!!
I wish everyone health and happiness throughout the holiday season - and please learn from my mistake and don't forget to take it easy and wear sensible shoes!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register