Did anyone have the regional (Spinal) anaesthesia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone have the regional (Spinal) anaesthesia? Did anyone have the regional (Spinal) anaesthesia?

Unread 01-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Did anyone have the regional (Spinal) anaesthesia?

Hello,

My surgery is tomorrow, and at this point, the only thing I'm worried about is the anaesthesia. Since I've never had surgery before, it is hard for me to fully recognize the fact that something can be administered to me that will not allow me to feel anything during the procedure.
My doc is suggesting I have the Spinal anaesthesia. She states it has a quicker recovery time that the type administered with the tube, and that they would give me something additional to make me sleep through the procedure. Has anyone had this? If so, if you could share your experiences, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2004, 12:43 PM

Jen, my TVH/BSO was done under spinal anesthesia with conscious sedation, and this was the best surgical experience I've ever had.

In the preop waiting area, my anesthesiologist injected "something to help me relax" AKA versed, into my IV.

My urinary catheter and spinal catheter were placed after I "relaxed." I have no memory of the surgery. The next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room.

I was numb from the knees down when I woke up, but I was able to walk by the time I reached my room on the patient care unit. In the past, I had problems with nausea, vomiting, and severe headaches after general anesthesia. With the spinal, I had none of these problems. I didn't have a sore throat, either, and I didn't feel "drugged."

I'd choose spinal anesthesia again. For women who want to be aware of what's going on during surgery, but don't want to feel pain, spinal anesthesia with lighter sedation is also available.

Good luck with your surgery, and I hope this helps you.

Best wishes, Helen
Unread 01-21-2004, 01:34 PM

Thanks alot Helen,

I'm told that Versid is what they will administer to me to make me sleep, and that it will knock me out without the longer recovery time the body needs after waking up from general anesthesia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2004, 03:58 PM

I had a general with the spinal and was totally out of it most of the morning. Only remember someone asking in recovery if I was in pain and I said no. Don't remember going to my room but when I opened my eyes, everything was spinning. They kept giving me anti-nausea drugs but I kept telling them I wasn't nauseous, just dizzy. That evening I rewarded them by several times.

The anesthesiologist the next morning said I'd had a severe reaction to the general (duh, ya think)....I tried to tell him how easily I got motion sick before surgery. He said to get the motion sickness patch behind my ear if I ever have another general. At any rate, they also gave me a long lasting pain shot immediately after surgery and I didn't have to use the pca pump...it was wonderful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register