Hungry but no appetite | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hungry but no appetite Hungry but no appetite

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Hungry but no appetite

Hi! First off I hope everyone's recovery is going well or at least gradually getting better!
I had LSH July 6, I was off meds the next night, no bathroom issues, was initially able to eat up until the afternoon of the 8th. Since then I haven't had much of an appetite. I get hungry but nothing is appealing to me. I eat dry toast, saltines, broth and protein shakes with fruit, chai tea with skim or coconut milk from Starbucks and that's it.
Is anyone else having this problem (especially those that have had LSH)?
Btw I have both ovaries and cervix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Re: Hungry but no appetite

I had the same problem the first week and half or so but made myself eat small things like a scrambled egg and bran muffin. I am a protein person and feel sick to my stomach if I don't eat something with protein every day. A bite of peanut butter, some nuts/almonds, an egg etc. Hope it gets better for you!
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:43 AM

Yes, I do the scrambled egg also and the protein shakes. Firewezi, above all protein is helpful in healing. I think we will eventually get our appetites back for our previously loved foods. For now, most of what I look at is a complete turn off too, even when my tummy is growling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM

I feel bad posting this question since my recovery as Been relatively smooth and quick and others seem to be having such a hard time. It is good to know though, that I am not the only one with this "issue"
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:16 AM

Don't feel bad, my recovery has been awesome also other than a couple of minor issues. Others learn so much from each and every question. I posed our issue to my gyn this morning and he said it is completely normal, but should start to really ease up for us around week 4 or 5 post surgery. Said with the bowel prep stripping all the bacteria in our bowels, and everything jostled around so much during surgery, the bowels by far have the hardest time getting back to normal and apparently can create these eating issues for us also. Wishing you the best hun.
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM

Don't feel bad about posting anything about your recovery. All posts are needed as you never know what sister may need to hear your comments

I too had this problem and was pretty much relegated to eating whatever I had a "taste" for and even that was limited. Now at 3 1/2 mos po some things have come back (like chocolate!) and other things (like cheese!) I no longer like. Believe it or not chocolate was disgusting to me after surgery and I just started liking it again a couple wks ago. Wish I could have left that one behind
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Shanika that you for sharing the information from your doctor.
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM

Def. don't feel bad. We all handle things differently! I've had no surgery pain but my bladder has been a pill! It didn't like my surgery at all and has given me fits. I sure hope it learns to chill out soon!

And, I can say the plus of not being hungry has made me look at food differently and I've lost some weight. I needed to!
Unread 08-03-2012, 04:07 AM

Going into week 5 and still no appetite but hungry
Unread 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM

I had a list of all the foods I wanted to eat after surgery when i was ravenous during the bowel-prep. Now I just want broth and cream cheese on bread. My poor husband keeps wanting to make me a nice dinner but I won't give him a reason to!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register