Scheduled LSH Symptoms got better??? Serious second thoughts!! HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Symptoms got better??? Serious second thoughts!! HELP! Symptoms got better??? Serious second thoughts!! HELP!

Unread 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Symptoms got better??? Serious second thoughts!! HELP!

I'm on the emotional roller coaster that I'm sure all of you have been on... and I'm hoping for some advice.

It's been a year of irregular periods, heavy bleeding, painful cycles three weeks out of every month and anemia. I have two fibroids in the uterine cavity. After months of consultations I finally found an amazing surgeon, decided on the LSH and left her office happier than ever.

Now I'm only ONE week away from the surgery - and my last cycle was NOTHING like the others?!? Hardly any clots! Lasted half as long! And now I'm waiting for the floodgates for this cycle, and so far, it's been very tame too! I'm so confused about what to do. Do I cancel? Is it the birth control pill finally impacting these fibroids?

I feel like the minute I cancel - I'll get hit with another flood of bleeding. SO CONFUSED!?!?!?!

Has anyone else had this happened? My pre op appt is TOMORROW! And I have to pay $740! Ugh.

Thanks for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Re: Symptoms got better??? Serious second thoughts!! HELP!

I didn't have fibroids but I had a year of horrible random bleeding and clots before I had a D&C and uterine ablation. A year after that I started having really bad pain every four weeks (no bleeding though from the ablation). Milder pain every two weeks in between. The pain got to be horrible and went to see my doc who tried to do another d&c and ablation due to fluid filled pockets in my endometrium (Sept 24). My lining was so thin it perforated, but she was able to scrape some of the pockets away but not ablate. Since then, just a few weeks ago, my pain has been pretty nominal. My bleeding has stopped. But I know it is just a matter of time before the pockets fill up again and possibly back up into my tubes and I am not willing to deal with that pain again, so, I am going through with my procedure next week. I am also done having kids (my tubes are clamped), so there isn't a big emotional issue for me either.

I don't think there is any 'cure' for fibroids, and I believe the alternative to hysterectomy for bleeding issues - ablation- is not a good idea with fibroids, either. Since you are seeing your doc tomorrow, make a list of questions and discuss further alternatives (can fibroids be removed without a hysterectomy by D&C or something else?) or what complications or issues may arise from postponing your procedure to see what happens. Maybe the BCP's are helping and there is a way your doc could have a look (TV Ultrasound?) and see if there is an improvement.

I hope you get some answers!!
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:52 PM

Thank you for sharing your story! It does pain me to think of any type of reoccurrence and I don't really like the idea of having to stay on the pill long term either. Not to mention that we have been paying for all of these tests and appts out of pocket so far, so if I postpone and end up having the LSH later - I'll just have to pay all over again! Gotta love insurance! Good luck with your procedure!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM

I had the same thoughts! I have suffered for so long. PCOS ,endometriosis , painful periods, heavy bleeding with large clots and I get my period the other day and it was nothing! Pain free , no clots.. My surgery is the 24th! I said it's just a fluke and one good period doesn't mean it will not go back to the painful way of life I am used to! So for me, I am keeping my surgery scheduled , but I understand your hesitation. I think it's just irony that it would happen like this right before surgery. As if we arent stressed out enough about surgery we then second guess ourselves because for whatever reason it was an easy cycle month! Good luck and hang in there!!
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:09 PM

I often say that Murphy's law is tattooed across my forehead but c'mon!! Comforting to hear you've also had this happen thanks for sharing!!
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:26 AM

The rollercoaster continues... so this morning the bleeding is back! Who would have thought I would be excited to see this?!? But I am starting to feel better about my decision with these old familiar miseries starting to set in again... Looking forward to my pre-op appt today to solidify all of this!!!! Best of luck to those who are headed in today!
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:48 AM

This isn't totally the same, but I will give you my experience. For the past two to three years my bleeding had gotten heavier and with clots. Now it wasn't anything like some women on here report, but it was heavy and went from 5 days to 7 days. Anyway our out of pocket maximum had been met, so I decided to have my tubes tied so i didn't have to deal with any type of birth control anymore. I was also going to get an ablation. I scheduled it a couple months in advance. The last two periods before that surgery only lasted TWO days, which really made me question whether or not to go through with the ablation. Anyway, after the doctor could not do either procedure once he got in there due to my enlarged and attached to abdominal wall uterus and a large fibroid on a stalk, we decided on the hysterectomy. It was scheduled three weeks away, so I got a cycle before the surgery and it was more like normal. I think maybe the stress from worrying about surgery *might* cause our cycle to go haywire, but that's just my thoughts. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Unread 10-16-2013, 05:55 AM

That is so helpful and so interesting to hear! Thank you for sharing! I think you're right - there is a LOT of stress in my life right now besides the pending surgery, so I think my body is revolting. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register