post-op, first update, 1 week and 1 day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-op, first update, 1 week and 1 day post-op, first update, 1 week and 1 day

Unread 10-31-2008, 11:59 PM
post-op, first update, 1 week and 1 day

hi Sisters out there!

I am fairly new to this website but have found it incredibly helpful and comforting....

I am 1 week and 1 day post-op for a TAH (total, abdominal)...plus the Dr. took out my appendix as she said there were signs of endometriosis on it....

She removed 1 large fibroid growing on the outside of my uterus connected with a stalk....both ovaries had cysts/endo as well as endo on my tubes...

I had an ablation 5 years ago, trying to save everything, but both endo and fibroids grew back and have caused alot of pain....

My stay at the castle was 3 nites....way longer than I anticipated...

I opted for a spinal because of adverse reaction to general...but he put something in it to sedate me and I slept thru the whole thing...

recovery: not as groggy, but lots of pain, and the spinal wore off very quickly; had to go on a moraphine drip for 2 days....

day 1 - vomiting and nausea the first nite; couldn't get out of bed; couldn't eat anything;

Day 2 - lots of vomiting and nausea; could only sit up; liquid diet;

Day 3 - went off the morphine to pain pills; still some nausea; started eating solids; started walking, had shower, started feeling like I would actually live but very very sore!....

Day 4 - walking, showered, got discharged; had a 2.5 hr. drive home - it was hell!...the Dr. on call for the weekend didn't issue any painkillers; found T-3's at home to get me thru the first couple of days at home...

I am now 1 week and 1 day....the first few days at home were rough; hard to walk without being hunched over....hard to get in/out of bed, BM's were painful....hard to sleep....hot flashes started....taking alots of advil and tylenol...

yesterday and today I've noticed I'm walking straight, I can sit up easier, I have a bit more energy, I'm eating more, taking less advil/tylenol....

however, I really did not realize how major this surgery is and it has seriously knocked me on my ***; I have my own consulting business and there is no way I am ready to go back to work anytime soon!...I can sit at the computer for about 1/2 hr. at a time, at the most....

My family is very supportive; it is hard to ask for help all the time; it is also hard to not over-do it; BUT I do not want to injure myself, tear, etc......I know it will make the healing process longer....

I thought I would be outside walking by now, and my recovery is slower than others that I am reading about, so I'm somewhat discouraged.....

In terms of how I feel today:

- bladder is still somewhat sensitive; going a bit more often; it is tender;

- BM's are also tender....

- can feel my insides - they feel sore, esp. on the left side, probably because of appendix also being removed;

- can feel top of vagina - feels sore

- hot flashes - several a day, but they don't last long

- nite sweats - blankets are on and off alot

- taking melatonin to help me sleep

I don't think I know all of the 'lingo and acronyms' of this website yet, so bear with me!

I hope my info is helpful to others; your stories are great and I'm so happy I found this website...

all the best,

Rona from Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:07 AM

Hi Rona

I know what you mean about the surgery knocking the stuffing out of you!

But you seem to be doing pretty well to me 1 week and 1 day post op :-)

After the first week I seemed to notice a change in how I felt every other week. There would be huge steps forward that had probably gone on daily but comparing to 2 weeks before helped me see it.

Just wanted to offer some encouragement & hugs!

Katy
Unread 11-01-2008, 04:37 AM

I am still shocked at how I feel. I had my op on the 13th so almost 3 weeks ago, and its been a hard slog up till now. It amazes me that we are expected to be back at work in 6 weeks after a TAH, that would leave me just 3 weeks left. Miracles would have to happen in that time. Fortunately for me as I work term time it would almost take me up to the last week or 2 of term and being a school (boarding) matron, they are the busiest days, so I wont be going back till about 5th of Jan. phew

Rona, don't be hard on yourself by comparing your abilities with others, we are all so different and I imagine the reasons that brought us to the stage vary medicly so much that must influence a lot, and besides, we are all of different sizes, strengths, ages too. I use the information of others as a guide only to check my progress.

Look after yourself

Claire

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register