how much walking should we do post op per day? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much walking should we do post op per day? how much walking should we do post op per day?

Unread 07-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Re: how much walking should we do post op per day?

It might also depend on what kind of physical condition you were in prior to surgery. Me? I kind of pride myself on being totally out of shape, (something I plan to change) so if you were in excellent shape prior, then more walking might be more tolerable. I feel kind of good I'm able to go upstairs to the bathroom at this point. I live in a tri-level and have to go up or down stairs no matter where I go in my house.

Just listen to your body and don't over do. I have found that when I do, my body protests big time and I pay for it all the next day.

Take care, dear syster, healing and hugs your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2009, 07:58 AM

I just started walking yesterday - 30 minutes around neighbhorhood. I am 3 weeks 2 days postop. I was tired in afternoon and had to lay down to rest, but my bruising actually felt better yesterday. I have read several posts were ladies have started walking about 3+ weeks and start to turn the bend, build energy and feel better so that's what i'm looking forward to. I am attempting again today. Now if I can only get a solid night's sleep I'll be good to go. Good luck my sister.
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:43 AM

I am 12 days out from my TAH and yesterday I did 3 loads of laundry (downstairs in the basement) remade the bed and didn't really lay down to rest at all. I did a lot of reading and then cleaned up after a big dinner. I was sore and tired at bed time, but today I do notice that I am more crampy than usual. But not hurting enought to take anything. So I will rest a bit today. No church. I haven't been out to any stores. One 30 minute ride in a car, which made me feel a little sick and I waited in the car: didn't even go in the store. My DH is going away this week, probably Thursday and I am a bit worried what I will feel like home alone. You know how you have one little ache, or itch or burn and you think: this is it: a complication!! Hopefully that won't happen while he is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2009, 10:16 AM

Just pace yourself, you aren't anyone one of us, we all have our own get back to it schedule. Your body has been through a lot, so it deserves the rest until you are able to get back in the swing of things. I am bored out of my mind after 3 wks but know that I have ONE chance to heal properly so I am trying to be patient with myself. Be a princess and if you need a note, we will write you one! Now get a book put your feets up Sista.
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:54 PM

I'm almost 2 weeks post op and all I'm doing is walking around the house every hour or so, and going up and down the stairs slowly and carefully two or three times a day. I do little chores like getting myself something to eat, putting laundry away, folding laundry, picking blueberries in the backyard, etc. just because I get bored sitting in my recliner. No pain meds except Ibuprophen for the last several days. I get tired and sore just sitting at the computer for very long. At your stage I was doing next to nothing besides getting up to pee and getting a snack. No point pushing yourself - you will feel much better soon enough! I am waiting until my two week check up this week to ask how much more I should be doing, like more walking outside for instance. At your stage I would under-do it, not over-do it! Going up and down those stairs is probably more than enough!
Unread 07-19-2009, 02:13 PM

Make sure to take it easy! I pushed myself too hard after a laproscopic hysterectomy and ended up with a surgical incision hernia for which I have to have another procedure in August!! Pamper yourself - make sure to take any recommended stool softners or laxatives as this was a problem for me as well - load up on the fruit!!!
Unread 07-19-2009, 06:41 PM

Hi kbenji ive been walking six houses down the street and back everyday thats about it I started about 8 days postop I could not do more getting a liitle farther now maybe 8 houses lol doctor said little strolls so that I do
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:24 AM

Hi JCHart, I am walking like you- I didn't run marathons before, but was walking 3-4 miles/ day before my TAH (also kept my ovaries). I walk around my neighborhood slowly with my DD's and they take my dogs! But,I am not lifting or doing any housework, so walking is it! My DR also said no fitness walking, so I don't push. It feels good and helps me sleep, so I keep it up. I couldn't walk much until 2 1/2 weeks post-op, though. Good luck to everyone!
TAH 6/30/09
adenomyosis, endo. (surprise), &fibroids
kept ovaries
Unread 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM

This week, 5 post-op, I am starting to walk the hills around my house. I try to go one more driveway each day. I can't believe how out of shape I feel!
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:56 AM

I am walking a loop around my block, with a gentle hill and it feels really good to be outdoors. I walk very slowly- stroll is more accurate! I also feel out of shape, but it will come back! I definitely feel better when I walk, and don't feel any pulling or anything. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register