Post Op Tenderness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Tenderness Post Op Tenderness

Unread 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Post Op Tenderness

I am almost 64 and had a TAH BSO on 1-10-12 with removal of the cervix. I was concerned about my age and I really believe my recovery will be slower than that of a younger woman. However, I am otherwise healthy and am pleased so far, 4 days post op. can anyone give me an idea of when the unbelieveable abdominal tenderness might start to ease? I defintely also have pain from the 9" incision he had to make and the many internal stitches done, but I am managing to do without painkillers during the day. I'm trying to avoid them because they are constipating. Also, there is no comfortable position in bed and changing positions is very uncomfortable. Just slept a little in a recliner. Any suggestions on getting comfortable in bed? Thanks and thanks to HysterSisiters for this great site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Re: Post Op Tenderness

You might be surprised about your healing, you might heal faster than a younger woman if you are healthy and take good care of yourself.

As to the tummy tenderness, it depends on how you heal. I had no pain except for the incision pulling when I moved and that stopped at about 10 days or so post-op. It was there one day and gone the next.

Getting comfortable in bed can be quite an ordeal. I sleep on my side and was able to do so right away by doing the following: I had a very small pillow tucked into my tummy, and a larger pillow or a body pillow on top of it that I could hug. I also had pillows tucked into my back to hold me in that position. So try lots of pillows to prop you up. You might even want to try pillows under your knees if you sleep on your back.

I wish you a good recovery.
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, information, and encouragement, Danni. I appreciate it! I wish you continued health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 10:22 PM

It just takes time for the tenderness to go away. I have had 5 surgeries, and had the same incision cut open 3 x. On average I would say for me that it took about 2/3 weeks to really feel like I would not die if I sneezed or coughed. As the last post stated, use pillows. The more you move around and use those muscles it really works the soreness out within reason. You still have to remember your contraindications such as no lifting, bending over, etc. however getting up and down from a seated position and walking and getting in and out of bed should become less painful. As much as I wanted my hubby to just get hold of my hand and get me up, I always tried to do it myself. It only made me stronger. wishing you the best, Shell
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:32 AM

Hi Wantstosail!
I am of a similar age, nearly 63, and had the same op. as you, I gather. All organs removed, including cervix, with a long vertical incision.
I did wonder about the age issue, but I think the main one is fitness before surgery. (Of course, complications, expected or unforeseen, would be another major one)
It takes a fair while for anyone to recover from the major surgery we have had, and yes, there is a heck of a lot of abdominal tenderness and pain in the beginning anyway.
After about 3-4 weeks, I found things definitely started to improve, though sometimes it seemed like I took a backwards step and felt worse again.
Walking is a big aid to recovery as long as you listen to your body and don't overdo it. It's good to build up gradually though, and then have a good lie-down when you get back home.
The pillows in bed help a lot to get comfortable. I held a small pillow against my abdomen for ages, even though I was able to sleep on my side from early on without a back pillow. I felt it was helping to hold my insides in (just joking!).
I have made an excellent recovery and can do everything I used to pre-op. You will get there too - but don't expect much of yourself too soon! It is a long road! Be very careful to avoid heavy lifting,vacuuming, sweeping, etc for about 6 weeks.
Age is no barrier at all to a good recovery, all else being equal! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register