Ultrasound | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-28-2003, 04:31 AM
Ultrasound

I would like to know if anyone else is having an vaginal ultrasound before their TAH I have an appointment tomorrow at my gyn He said it is just to check everything before He said unless I have any cysts on my ovaries then I can keep them Lots of Luck to everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2003, 04:46 AM
Ultrasound

I had a vaginal ultrasound and an endometrial biopsy. I am waiting for a TAH/BSO for complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia.

The ultrasound did not hurt and showed abnormalities in the lining of my uterus.
Unread 04-28-2003, 06:17 AM
Ultrasound

Yes, I had a vaginal US before my TAH/BSO. It was instrumental in diagnosing the reasons for my hysterectomies - tumors on both ovaries as well as thickened uterine lining. I found the examination a little uncomfortable because they were making sure they saw everything they could, but I wouldn't call it painful, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2003, 06:42 AM
Ultrasound

I had a vaginal ultrasound the day after my doctor tood a uterine biopsy to check the lining for endo. While it was alittle uncomfy (pressure is all, really), i think it was cause the tech really was trying to see everything. She never did find my left ovary though. I have cysts on my right one however, plus a couple of new fibroids that had grown quickly. I was glad to have the more thorough exam done, aside from the goopy ultrasound gunk, it was a piece of cake!!
Good luck!
Unread 04-28-2003, 07:10 AM
Ultrasound

Taz, I had a transvaginal ultrasound also. It didn't hurt, but the doc and tech were talking in such technical terms that I couldn't understand what they were saying. That scared me, so I told them so, and they then explained in layman's terms so I could understand. Those big words sounded awful but it turned out not to be so bad. Everything I had was benign.

So, my only advice it to speak up if you don't understand! Relax, it will be fine.

Lou Ann
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:15 AM
Taz

I had the ultrasound done too and it's like the other ladies have described.

Just one note, the person who does the ultrasound cannot give you any information regarding the results. So, if you aren't told anything it's just that their doing their job, it doesn't mean anything horrible or that they are being mean or anything, okay?

Just thought I'd add that info in case you didn't know ahead of time. It's hard to be there and expect some info and then not get it right away. Your doctor will be informed of the results.

Rita
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Ultrasound

Yes i had a vu and a 11cm mass was found so i am having a tah/bso 11 may.i found it quite surreal as they use a condom to cover the probe not at all painful. take care Heather
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Ultrasound

I had my ultrasound at the emergency room when I went in doubled over with pain. They did both the belly one (like when you are pregnant) and the transvaginal one. Neither of them hurt. but I was very uncomfortable for the belly one because they made me drink a half gallon of water before doing it because a full bladder helps unfold the uterus. Given that I had been suffering major problems with my bladder, that was pretty much torture. I got to empty my bladder for the transvag, but they gave me so much water that I still arrived back home with a horribly full bladder. It took a half hour of agony before I could pee. whew!
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:42 AM
ultrasound

I have had may vu and for most of them my dr has done them so he could really see what he needed and if he needed the us tech then they would come in. I much rather have my dr do as much for me than anyone else. I just had a vu almost 2 weeks ago and going in for hopefully my last surgery on May 16th.
I had my hyst 4 years ago and with my age at the time he wanted to leave on ovary and said it may have to come out, well now we are at that point. I was told 7 1/2 years ago that I had stage 4 endo and needed to finish having my kids so I could have the hyst. I would love to talk with anyone going through the same thing. Now that I know I am not the only one going through this. Thanks
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Ultrasound

The ultrasound has been the only pleasant part of this experience. Well, okay, not PLEASANT but at least it wasn't painful.

I had the ultrasound early on as a diagnostic tool. The next step the DR wanted to do was a uterine-lining biopsy. I absolutely refused. I told my DR that when my uterus was out of my body and in her hands she could biopsy my uterus to shreds - but not before.

Actually, my ultrasound technician told me everything! I already knew I had fibroids so we agreed on which ones she'd measure (the 5 biggest). I helped her locate my ovaries (the pitifully small things). And, blessdly, my uterus was already so enlarged I didn't have to go through the drinking tons of water and trying to hold my bladder.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register