Digestive Issues - Surgery was August 19th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Digestive Issues - Surgery was August 19th Digestive Issues - Surgery was August 19th

Unread 10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Digestive Issues - Surgery was August 19th

Has anyone had digestive issues after hysterectomy? I had surgery because of Stage IV endometriosis. I had everything taken out except for my left ovary and cervix. I never had issues like this before my surgery. I am burping, have a lot of gas especially after eating. There are times when I am nauseous and sometimes I have acid reflux. Not to be gross, but my boyfriend tells me that I have gas all through the night. Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Re: Digestive Issues - Surgery was August 19th

I had an SAH as well and like you, ended up with a lot of gas that released upwards rather than out the other end. This went on for a couple of months. However, I did not have nausea or acid issues. I think that some of our bodies handle the air left in our tummies from being opened up in different ways. I am now back to normal. Did you have shoulder pains too after surgery?
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I didn't have shoulder pain after surgery. I do have stomach cramps after I eat too much or food that is greasy or too heavy. I also have a UTI and taking antibiotics. The antibiotics may be causing my nausea. I just really want to be able to eat what I want. I have lost about 8 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM

I had a LAVH/BSO because of constant gastric pressure. My vaginal ultrasound found a 1.5 cm cyst on my left ovary, a tipped uterus and according to the ultrasound an enlarged uterus (13.5 cm on ultrasound, but only 7 cm on path report "normal size???"). Surgery was recommended by my Gyno and performed on 09/07/11. Now I have an awful nausea that is not getting any better. I'm hoping that this will pass with time.
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:42 PM

I had to have a hysterectomy because of a mass in my ovary found in November, 2011. I had an automobile accident and I thought my back pain was a result of the accident. My orthopedist took an x-ray and saw something he didn't like. He sent me for a CAT scan and they found the 4cm X 6cm mass in my left ovary. My doctor did laproscopic surgery and found that the mass was a chocolate cyst and I had stage 4 endometriosis. I am thankful it wasn't ovarian cancer. After the surgery, my endometriosis came back aggressively and I had my hysterectomy on August 19th. It has been a tough road. I had to have a spinal fusion last summer because of the accident and that surgery was like getting a tooth pulled compared to this one. I have cramping, gas and am sometimes nauseous. I had an abdominal hysterectomy and my scar goes from hip to hip. Someone said that probiotics are good for stomach issues.
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:47 AM

Hi Dsigai,

I've been taking Align (probiotic) since the surgery but it is not helping with my nausea. I don't have any cramping but I have gas for which I'm taking Gas-X. My nausea is worst in the morning and gets better after a have a bm and it continues until after dinner. I hope that you start feeling better.
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the message. I was up until 3 am this morning with the tired but wired feeling and gastro issues. I looked up all the menopausal symptoms and realized the gastro issue was one of them including sugar cravings (I have been eating cotton candy and last night at 2 am I ate tootsie roll pops). I talked to the nurse in my doctor's office last week and she told me that I would have to go see a gastro doctor. She didn't know where it was coming from. Now I know, menopause. I still have 1 ovary so I am not sure if this is temporary. My surgery was the 19th of August. I had these symptoms for a while. My doctor just wanted to wait a couple of months to see if these symptoms were in fact temporary. My boyfriend is getting frustrated with my hot flashes because he is always cold and I am hot. Otherwise, he has been a great help in dealing with all these issues. Are you experiencing some of the same things I am? It is nice to have a place to visit where people are experiencing the same things you are.
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:53 AM

I was up at 4:00 a.m. with bad nausea. It is very funny that both of us were searching the net for menopausal symptoms. I also found that nausea is one of them. I just hope that it will subside soon, as I don't want to take hormones. I was already experiencing the gastro symptoms (GERG, gas, etc.) before my surgery and it was the main reason why I had it. Now, I'm having second thoughts about my hysterectomy because the nausea feeling is awful! Perhaps the gastro issues were just menopausal symptoms and had nothing to do with the small cyst. I have a post op appointment with my GYN this Friday. I hope he can give me an answer. Hugs!!!
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Digestive Issues - Surgery was August 19th

I had a lot of GI issues post op (SAH). They weren't too bad the first two weeks once I started on stool softeners. The gas pain came and went, but Gas-X helped. However, I had a lot of acid reflux after 3 weeks on ibuprofen, so stated on Prilosec. I had a lot of bloating and nausea in Weeks 4-7, but finally got things smoothed out with magnesium citrate, MOM and Miralax. I also started eating yogurt in for the probiotic effect.
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Hi Beryl55,

This is good news! I have hopes that by week 7 the nausea will subside. I'm still an emotional wreck...I have been crying for about 3 weeks and driving my DH crazy! I'm a recent " Empty Nester" (youngest son started college) and I'm missing them so much...It is almost unbearable. I'm looking forward to Christmas to have them home for at least a few weeks. Not a good time to have had my surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register