Post Op Day 3 with Da Vinci - Any help for gas pains? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Day 3 with Da Vinci - Any help for gas pains? Post Op Day 3 with Da Vinci - Any help for gas pains?

Unread 09-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Post Op Day 3 with Da Vinci - Any help for gas pains?

Today is Day 3 post op and I'm feeling good other then being bloated and gas pains. Haven't really taken the pain meds either (maybe just one or two a day). I am taking Motrin, Stool Softener and Gas x. Does anyone have any more suggestions for gas pains other then Gas X, heating pad, and walking. I have been doing all of those. My belly is bloated too, but thankfully the swelling in the rest of my body went down.
I'm sure once I have a BM all will be better, but who knows when that will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Re: Post Op Day 3 with Da Vinci - Any help for gas pains?

Have you tried pure peppermint tea? It is very soothing on the stomach and helps ease wind. Or you can get peppermint oil capsules that are used to treat IBS, I took tons of them my first 4 days. (in the UK they are called Colpermin)
If you are not too sore, lie on your back and try gently rubbing your abdomen in an anti clockwise direction so passing under your ribcage from right to left with the flat of your hand, then gently down the left side. Also, you could try gentle pelvic tilts with your knees bent up. I was given this exercise by the hospital physio.
With the help of some suppositories I had a BM on Day 4 and it was a MASSIVE relief, hope yours comes soon!!
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Hi Catherine,
I didn't get my first BM until 3 days after my operation and was horribly bloated and gassy before then. Your first BM should be coming up soon. I was drinking warm water, as you need lots of liquids for the stool softener to work. I also spent about 1 hour per day sitting on an upright chair (the chair at my study desk), which seemed to get things moving. Maybe worth contacting your doctor about suppositories if nothing has moved by tomorrow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM

be real careful what you eat. My Dr told me only baked chicken or turket and plain rice or mashed potatoes, until I had my first BM> I followed his instructions, I never had the first bit of gas pains. I had my first BM at 4 day post op.
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM

I hate to say, but I never found anything that helped with the gas. Moving around did help it pass. From being blown up for the surgery, it seemed to settle in my shoulders. It was awful to say the least! On a lighter note, once the gas is over, you should be home free. For me, that was the worse part. You are almost over the hump honey, keep your chin up!
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM

I found something that helped. I stood by my bed and leaned over the mattress. I had my knees resting on the bed rail and feet on the floor, so I didn't have too much pressure on my stomach. It totally helped and I ended up in the bathroom too :-) Maybe it will help someone else. You just want to have a little pressure on your belly (it shouldn't hurt). It actually felt good to have just a little pressure on my stomach.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register