Scheduled SAH Does anyone know about a "painful" DRAINAGE TUBE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anyone know about a "painful" DRAINAGE TUBE Does anyone know about a "painful" DRAINAGE TUBE

Unread 03-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Does anyone know about a "painful" DRAINAGE TUBE

My surgery is coming soon and I'm horrified. I'm hearing so many things. Can anyone tell me what they know about a drainage tube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Re: Does anyone know about a "painful" DRAINAGE TUBE

Did your dr say you will have one? The only "drainage tube" I had was a catheter, lol, and it didn't hurt. I enjoyed not having to get out of my hospital bed to pee! I had TLH-BSO. My advice to you is to stop reading the post-op section and worry about after the surgery after the surgery. People tend to post topics when they are feeling bad. Write questions down and ask your dr. Tell your dr before the op and the nurses when you check in if you are really scared and anxious. They can tell you all the steps and give you something to settle your nerves. Hugs to you! It will be ok.
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActIII View Post
Did your dr say you will have one? The only "drainage tube" I had was a catheter, lol, and it didn't hurt. I enjoyed not having to get out of my hospital bed to pee! I had TLH-BSO. My advice to you is to stop reading the post-op section and worry about after the surgery after the surgery. People tend to post topics when they are feeling bad. Write questions down and ask your dr. Tell your dr before the op and the nurses when you check in if you are really scared and anxious. They can tell you all the steps and give you something to settle your nerves. Hugs to you! It will be ok.
Okay, will do! I will just stay on the pre-op forum. My dr never said anything about a drainage tube. Thats why I was concerned. I've had catheters before but wasn't sure thats what ppl were speaking of. Thanks for your encouragement and I'm gonna take your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM

If you saw a recent thread, then you may have come across the one where the member's doctor may have pinched her bowel so a drain was put in to be safe. Otherwise, if posts were not discussing catheters, then you may have been reading a thread that included a tummy tuck, complication such as a seroma, or a cancer thread. Or, you may have read a thread by a member from a different country where medical practice may be a bit different.

Without extenuating circumstances, the only tubes you should have are the catheter and IV. If you are concerned, talk to your surgeon about the specific details for you.

S
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM

I had a radical hysterectomy on 1/31/13 and I did have a drainage tube. It was out of my right side with a little plastic ball like thing that the blood would go into by suction. We would have to empty it out. I had it in for about a week. If you get one, make sure you take a deep breath in and slowly breath it out when your doctor removes it. It wasn't that bad for me.
Unread 03-15-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcalny View Post
I had a radical hysterectomy on 1/31/13 and I did have a drainage tube. It was out of my right side with a little plastic ball like thing that the blood would go into by suction. We would have to empty it out. I had it in for about a week. If you get one, make sure you take a deep breath in and slowly breath it out when your doctor removes it. It wasn't that bad for me.
I hope I don't have to have that. Thank you and the other Sister's that responded to this post. I'm just so nervous. I'm so emotional. Not sure why but I'm just a ball of tears lately and feeling depressed. Is this normal????
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:23 AM

I wouldn't be nervous if you have it. Just ask your doctor so you don't have to worry about something that you don't know will happen. No need for the extra worry! I would also talk to your doctor about your feelings and emotions. They may be able to give you something that will help ease your anxiety and depression. Try not to worry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register