Surgery Nov 30, a few silly details - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Nov 30, a few silly details Surgery Nov 30, a few silly details

Unread 11-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Re: Surgery Nov 30, a few silly details

I am going in for a SAH on Wednesday and will be in the hospital for 2 days. I plan on packing a nightie, granny panties, slippers, hard candies, wet naps, chapstick, a pillow, an ipod and a small glass container with chocolate for the nurses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Surgery Nov 30, a few silly details

Quote:
Originally Posted by japennington View Post
I had LAVH removed everything except right ovary and I was off for 8wks. I'm a computer tech and do LOTS of lifting and squating around in the floors. I think time off depends on so many things. I would prepare doc for worse case then call a couple days after and you and your dr will have a better idea of how long you will be off. Don't let them pressure you. You need to take time to heal. That is VERY important. As for things to take:two things I couldn't have done without-my microbead pillow, it is so perfect if you cough or sneeze to hold your belly;and my fanny pack( I clipped to bed rail and kept tissues, chapstic, hand lotion,book,mp3 player, small note pad, phone,etc) it was great. Best of luck to you! I hope you have a quick and easy recover! rincesses:
Sorry for all the typos. Its late and my dang computer won't let me edit :ekk: I meant prepare work for the longest amount of time off, you will know more after surgery. Also, sorry about the crazy green face-i usually just type in the smiley and got it wrong,ya think. Lol
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:46 AM

Hi: Only you and your doctor know what you body needs. Your coworkers are clueless in that area. Everybody is different when it comes to healing. We as wemon are care takers by nature it is difficult for us to do what we need to do for us. I understand you concerns about leaving you job short handed I have the same concerns but what I try to remember is if I don't take care of myself properly none of the other things in my life such as employment, family, finances etc will matter. I try to remember First things First and in this case YOU are first. A friend once told me "if you have your health, you have everything"

Take care of yourself and many blessing to you
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japennington View Post
and my fanny pack( I clipped to bed rail and kept tissues, chapstic, hand lotion,book,mp3 player, small note pad, phone,etc) it was great. Best of luck to you! I hope you have a quick and easy recover! rincess:
I love the idea of the fanny pack! I'm going to use that. Usually I get so much stuff on my tray table there's no room for the food tray! lol Thanks for the tip!
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minngal View Post
My surgery is right around the corner on Nov. 30 (I'm bad at the acronyms but its laprascopic, removing uterus, cervix and possibly ovaries, doc doesn't know for sure yet).

Anyway, I'm sure there is a thread answering this and I've been searching, I just can't find it. What should I pack? My doctor thinks I'll probably just be overnight, two at the most. Do I want comfy sweats to wear home? Slippers to wander around the hospital? Well I be awake enough in my hospital room to be bored? Should I bring a book? My laptop? Make-up and a work project?

And maybe you ladies can offer advice on a little work conundrum. Several people at work who have had hysterectomies are offering advice on how long I'll need to be gone, but it is all rather self-serving on their part because I'm leaving the office short-staffed, so I don't know how to take it. They all say I won't need to be gone more than a week and a half, but they have desk jobs and I tend to run up and down stairs, across fields, take off at a moments notice (I'm a newspaper reporter) and cover things last minute that have me working 12 hour days. One woman says I should need two weeks off at most, and I know she was gone 6 weeks when she had her surgery. And she doesn't do what I do - she writes book reviews. I don't want to leave people in the lurch, but how do I explain I need time to heal before I can come back to chase leads and run after cops and fire trucks? Especially since my medical condition is really none of their business?
Hi Minngal,

I had the exact same surgery as you are having. I also had BSO. I was also leaving the office short staffed and planned to be gone for 3 weeks. If I had it to do over, I would have taken 4 weeks at the very least. My job requires a lot of standing and walking. You only have one chance to do this right.... Don't listen to any other staff member, and take the necessary time for yourself. You will heal better, faster, and be ready to get back to work after the proper time off.

Best wishes!!
Julie
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:40 PM

You only get one chance to recover... I am lucky because I am able to take 10 weeks off of work to recover. I am at week six and am just feeling about 70% of who I am. So glad that I am able to take my time. TAKE ALL THE TIME YOU CAN! Do things for yourself.. nurture YOU.. The normal routine is just around the corner and you will be back at it in no time but how often do you just stop and take care of YOU.. Really?
It's the holidays.. enjoy them honey!

As for hospital I took nothing as I knew DH would be there when I woke up and if I needed anything he would be there for me as well as a few dear friends. I needed nothing except clothes to come home in really..
Hope your surgery went well and wish you a speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register