How long do American sisters stay in hospital for a TAH? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long do American sisters stay in hospital for a TAH? How long do American sisters stay in hospital for a TAH?

Unread 02-09-2007, 08:30 PM
How long do American sisters stay in hospital for a TAH?

I was precertified by my doctor with the Insurance for a 5 day hospital stay. I went in on Wednesday, surgery at 11:00am and came home Friday at 10:30am. Had a TAH/BSO. Was glad to be home but really missed the hospital bed with the electric controls and side rails which made it so much easier to get up out of bed....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2007, 12:05 PM
new here

Hi, I'm new here and scheduled to have a laproscopic supracervical hys. on Feb. 21. I'm a little scared but also waiting for relief from sudden abnormal bleeding. More nervous about recovery and not having help afterward (lifting, errands...) My parents are coming to help but can only stay for a week after and we really don't have anyone here. Any wisdom from those who've been there?
Unread 02-12-2007, 02:01 PM

What does BSO mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2007, 02:49 PM

I may be going in for a hysterectomy soon and was fascinated by "passing gas" being one of the check points used to see how soon you can go home. Why is that?????
Unread 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Miss Trixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Trixie
I was precertified by my doctor with the Insurance for a 5 day hospital stay. I went in on Wednesday, surgery at 11:00am and came home Friday at 10:30am. Had a TAH/BSO. Was glad to be home but really missed the hospital bed with the electric controls and side rails which made it so much easier to get up out of bed....
What does BSO mean? I'm having that and I dont know what it means!!??
Unread 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM

Bilateral Salpingoopherectomy---Removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries = BSO
Unread 02-12-2007, 03:32 PM

passing gas is a sign of normal/restored bowel function. It is important that they are certain you'll be able to have proper bowel movements once released.
Unread 02-15-2007, 11:34 AM

I spent 5 nights in the hospital. I didn't "pass gas" until the next day after I got home. In fact, I basically lived on gatorade and jello for the first few days at home. This slow recovery may have been due to the fact that my fibroid was adhered to my colon and had to be pried off or the fact that I had a verticle incision.
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:03 PM

My insurance initally approved me for two days, but right after I came out of surgery, my DR. told my DH that I will be in for an extra day. (I have an EPO plan) He mentioned it to me the next morning, after I was coherent enough. I had a TAH, and my right ovary removed to to multiple chocolate cysts. I didn't have any major complications while I was in the castle, but really wished I came home after 2 days. The 3rd night was a real b*&%$. Didn't have the greatest of roommates, they were up all night chatting with their husband/father of their baby, or were snoring. Was lucky if I got one hour of sleep. Oh well!
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:30 PM

I had a TAH/BSO and had surgery 730am wednesday and was sent home 10am friday. Doc asked if I wanted to stay another night but I was ready to go home! His reasoning for no long stay was basically infections (he did not allow me to shower at hospital or let anyone but him check under bandages, said showers are clean but not sterile!! lol) also says most sisters are more comfy at home in their own bed and/or couch. I know I was more comfy at my moms house. Also in my case I had to travel 250 miles from home to hospital and he didn't want me worrying about things at home.

As far as insurance goes, I do have some but for those who don't all hospitals are now mandated to offer uncompensated care (charity care, or financial assistance) of course this is based on income levels. I administer that program at the hospital I work at (altho small with no surgery center!) and most hospitals will work with you to help as much as possible.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register