Clear Liquid Diet - Questions & Suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clear Liquid Diet - Questions & Suggestions Clear Liquid Diet - Questions & Suggestions

Unread 08-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Clear Liquid Diet - Questions & Suggestions

Hi there,

So I'm trying to think of as many variations of liquid things I can have on this very long day, just over a week away for me.

I have made a list of:

- Water
- Clear broth (different flavors)
- Apple, cranberry and grape juice
- Various different herbal teas (can't stand regular tea/coffee without milk or cream, so it's banished altogether for this day)

I'm not sure of the following, so would appreciate if some of you could clarify for me:

am I allowed to have:

Soda Water
Tonic Water
Ginger Ale
Sprite

Jello - flavored and colored

Lolly-ices & ice-pops (frozen fruit flavors)

Hard fruit candy to suck on

Honey (with the herbal tea)

Many thanks for you help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Re: Clear Liquid Diet - Questions & Suggestions

Grimelda,

I was allowed to have everything on your list except the hard candy. I found sprite and jello got me through fine.

Best wishes!
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM

That's a great list. I have done prep several times. The only question is the honey. Did your doctor approve that?

I also drink Gatorade.

My one caution is not to overestimate how much you need. You want to ingest a lot of liquids, but I ended up with oo much this time. I have leftover broth, juice, and Gatorade and I ate half the jello.

Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Clear Liquid Diet - Questions & Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimelda View Post
Hi there,

So I'm trying to think of as many variations of liquid things I can have on this very long day, just over a week away for me.

I have made a list of:

- Water
- Clear broth (different flavors)
- Apple, cranberry and grape juice
- Various different herbal teas (can't stand regular tea/coffee without milk or cream, so it's banished altogether for this day)

I'm not sure of the following, so would appreciate if some of you could clarify for me:

am I allowed to have:

Soda Water
Tonic Water
Ginger Ale
Sprite

Jello - flavored and colored

Lolly-ices & ice-pops (frozen fruit flavors)

Hard fruit candy to suck on

Honey (with the herbal tea)

Many thanks for you help
Well to be honest I really can't remember what I ate. I think I ate like two jellos and some apple juice. Mostly I drank water. I was to nervous to eat so never got hungry. Plus my booty was sore from all the pottying, so wanted make sure as little as possible came out. Lol I bought some chicken broth, but never even opened it. Try not to worry to much. Just get stuff that you will use after in case you end up like I did. Huggs and cheers to a great surgery.
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM

I also bought some Gatorade for the day. The liquid diet really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I wasn't as hungry as I thought I would be.

One thing I wished I had known about is Ensure Clear. I would have bought some of that for the extra calories.

I have quite a few food allergies, so there were some things I couldn't have (Jello, broth, ice pops). I mostly drank juice that day. Carbonated drinks are fine, as long as they're clear (no cola or Dr. Pepper).

I cheated just a little and had coffee with cream in the morning. I figured it was early enough in the day that it would be OK. I didn't have any problems. I'm sure that was through my system by the middle of the day.
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:46 PM

I thought I was going to starve and I was hungry in the morning, but once my bowel prep started I didn't want to eat anything. I had to drink 64 oz of gatorade with a bottle of miralax in a little over an hour so my stomach was so full from that I didn't have anything the rest of the day but some water before bed. All I ate before then was some jello and a couple popsicles. I really wasn't that hungry. I was so nervous and kept busy trying to get all my last minute preparations done before my bowel prep started. Good luck. Don't forget to get some flushable wipes for your bowel prep. Your butt will thank you.
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:27 AM

I bought the chicken broth mix from Costco and it was delicious. I was pleasantly surprised; it was delicious. I will drink this on a regular basis. I did have three coffee cups (Starbucks mug) of it when everyone was eating pizza for dinner. I usually drink Coke Zero, but I used this day to indulge in my other favorite, regular Dr. Pepper. I also had vitamin waters, when I would usually only drive the zero's. I had a little bit of jello, but I think the chicken broth was more satisfying for me. Good luck
Unread 08-27-2012, 03:51 AM

Just check which colors are ok for you to have. I'm not allowed any red, orange or grape jello, drinks or ice pops.
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:13 AM

check w/ your doctor. I was not allowed anything red or purple. most anything I could clearly see through was ok, also hard candy was out.
I mostly drank ginger ale & ate either green or orange jello & had left overs for both. I am not a big soup or broth fan.
definitely recommend flushable wipes - I used them before surgery & after since it was hard to bend & the wipe was soft & moist.
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM

The doctor didn't say anything about honey, it's just a little research I did. I don't actually like it that much, just desperate to have some variety on this day

I totally forgot about Gatorade and flavored mineral waters - ooh! I'm going to be spoiled for choice, now - wow! getting excited over all these liquids, lol!

I read something about red and dark colored fruit flavors, coming to think of it, so I may be I should stick with lemon and lime flavors. Apparently you can get white cranberry and grape too - who knew?!

I was on the fence about the candies - some sites say you can and some say you can't. I'm calling the doctor's clinic tomorrow, so I'll probably ask then, just to make sure.

Thanks, everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register