Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Surgery

I went for my pre-op today. My surgery is on Monday and I am getting nerveous. I throught that on your pe-op you would have a EKG done but I was told that I do not need that done. They usually do this for patients with high blood pressure or diebatic etc. Did any of you ladies ha a ekg done at you pre-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2002, 02:15 PM
I was allowed to use an "old" ekg

Hello!

I have HBP and a heart murmur, so they were very keen on an EKG and an echocardiogram (sigh). But I had had both done back in May and the docs said that was just fine. If you've had one done up to 6 months ago that should be fine. Otherwise, the last EKG I had took me about 5 minutes (including the time the nurse took to hook me up to the monitor). And I was able to do it in my cardiologists office - and my primary care physician has the machine too.

I'd ask your doc if there is any particular reason why he/she doesn't think you need one. If the response is reasonable, great! Also, check with the anesthesiologist; some of them want one anyway (my GYN didn't really think I needed one, but the anesthesiologist was very keen on one) Hope all is just fine - good luck!!!

- Denise

P.S. - If you *do* have one - ask for a copy of the report; it seems that everyone wants a copy of that thing. I had to fax it to my anesthesiologist, to the main hospital admitting office, and to my GYN. If you need to send copies "worldwide" it's easier to just have a copy to xerox for them, rather than constantly calling your primary care (or whomever did the original test). Just my thought....
Unread 10-09-2002, 02:29 PM
Surgery

I did not have an EKG at my pre-op either. I was surprised, as at age 49 I thought it would be required. My doctor did not feel it was necessary---just said "I don't usually order those on "healthy" patients".

You'll be in our thoughts on Monday. Very best wishes for a smooth surgery and recovery. Remember to Pamper,Pamper, Pamper!!

's and Blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Surgery

Hi,

I had the same experience as Shelley. I am also 49 & dr said because I was otherwise healthy, I did not need to have an ekg.

All the best to you,

Mongie
Unread 10-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Surgery

When I worked in a pre op area we only routinly did EKGs on patients over 50 or with known cardiac problems or high blood pressure.

Caren
Unread 10-09-2002, 10:31 PM
EKG

I did not have an EKG. The nurse explained to me they have a set of guidelines they follow for example, age, weight, past medical history, blood pressure, etc. I'm 45, but they said I was too young to have it done as a routine. I love being told I'm too young for something!
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:05 AM
Surgery

Hello......I am 34 yrs old and only had a urine test and blood test pre-op. The :doc: felt confident enough with this & that was enough for me.
I am a happly little rincess: now and ........hurray
Love, JulieS
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:02 AM
they scheduled an EKG for me too

considering no high BP, questioning why. They did tell me I had some bad reactions with anesthesia last surgery, so maybe that explains it.

Good tip on getting copies for others, don't remember who posted that but I thank you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register