7 weeks post op and totally fed up | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 weeks post op and totally fed up 7 weeks post op and totally fed up

Unread 04-26-2005, 10:29 AM
7 weeks post op and totally fed up

Im 7 weeks post op and totally depressed. Part of me wants to return to work but in a way im frightened. I have been carefull not to overdo things as i know it will affect my speedy recovery but at the same time i just want to get my life back to normal. I notice that some people are back at work within 6 weeks but i still dont feel ready to take that step and having an incisional hernia does not help. Any ideas on how you should be feeling before taking the step of going back to work??? Any support would be greatly appreciated. Am i just being a big softy and should i just go for it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2005, 10:50 AM

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to feel. I guess alot depends on what kind of job you are returning to, how much stress, both physical or mental. Of course it's a little scary but we also get pretty antsy at home and don't want to lose all our get up and go (its' easy to do that huh?!). First off, listen to your body when it comes to the physical. When it starts to whisper "Ive had enough for today"- heed its warning. Try starting back part time, a few hours per day, etc and see how it feels. I think its normal to feel worried about getting back to the day to day routine but we are not expected to do it all at once. And if anyone says you should- tell them to pound sand. Its your recovery and your body.
Start a little at a time and before you know it you'll be doing your old normal thing without even realizing it!
Unread 04-26-2005, 11:07 AM

((Whisper33))

I am also 7 weeks post-op. I returned to work last week after the doctor released me to return to a "normal" life. I posted on the exact same subject that you're posting about just before my doctors appointment. I had tons of anxiety about getting back into a normal routine. I am happy to say that I have found a wonderful amount of support through my co-workers. I'm happy I went back when I did. I've explained how I feel both emotionally and physically to the people who are my direct superiors and they have been just great in my transition back to work.

The only problems that I do have are the swelly belly (which is really bad when I work 8 hour days) and being drained (I usually crash and burn when I get home from work).

I am on an emotional rollercoaster so I've been taking meds as needed to adjust my mood swings and will speak with my GYN doctor in two weeks to discuss hormones to help me until my ovaries decide to work again.

Some tips for you that other sisters here have offered me:

Wear control top pantyhose when your out and about. The have been a life saver for me!!!

Change positions often throughout the day! If your sitting, stand a bit.............if your standing, walk for a bit. Try not to stay doing the same thing for a long period of time.

..........and some advice from me..............tell you supervisors what's going on with you emotionally and physically. Make them aware of how you feel..........so...........if you need to get out early or need to change positions, they will be able to understand why.

Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Back to work

Dear Whisper,

I had a part-time job and went back to work at 7 1/2 weeks. I did alright, but because I was thinking about other things and not concentrating on my body, it was somewhat of a work-out. I was tired and achey, but nothing I couldn't handle. I think the extra movements at work actually made me feel stronger. It was great to get out and back to work. It makes you feel like yourself again.

I agree with patmac and kayemm. Do what you can for yourself to be comfortable, talk to your superiors, and take things slowly. It was a little scary for me, too, but so liberating at the same time.

We wish you all the best.

Lots of S!!!

Cinderellen
Unread 04-26-2005, 04:03 PM

Hi Whisper,

As the other women said -- I think it depends a lot on your job AND I also think it depends on what you need to do when you get home. I had my hyst (TAH/BSO) 2 days before you did and went back last week at 6 weeks. I have a desk job and it was a pretty low key week but I still found myself getting tired and leaving after about 6 hours and then I came home a laid down for about an hour until my DS's got home. Then I was up and ready to keep with a normal evening (dinner, walking, homework, practices, etc). However if I had a physical job or one where I couldn't have left early then I probably would not have wanted to be back.

I find I'm still very tired this week and not working a full day yet. But then again I also think I have a cold (maybe allegies I've neve had before??) and that is wearing me down so it's hard to tell. Normally I'd push through the cold but the combo is really wearing me down.

My boss has been absolutely great too -- he even called me over one morning to tell me that he thought I worked too late the day before (I had still left early!) Now how great is that!

So net, a lot depends on your job and your home life -- if folks are willing to be flexible with you then you'll probably do fine. Just listen to your body -- you don't need to impress anyone.

Nancy-Anne
Unread 04-26-2005, 04:12 PM

Hi Whisper

In this country you'll find that our GPs usually sign us fit for work between 8 and 13 weeks (8 - 10 weeks for keyhole for example, but 12/13 weeks is more usual). Most employers (HR offices anyway) will be prepared for a 13 week absence, and some also ask for an occupational health consultation before returning so that you and your employer are sure that you're fit for work.

I suggest that you try building up to busy days at home / out and about. For example, get up and dressed at the time you would for work, then have a busy morning, without straining your op. site, and see how you are in the afternoon. Use this as a guage for your recovery, and start to build up how much you do gradually. If you have a big dip and feel exhausted at the thought of doing anything it's normal and shows that you're not quite ready yet. Having tested yourself you'll have something to tell your GP when you go for your next certificate/release for work.

My physios were very keen to point out that every body heals differently, and I really hope that you can find a good balance for yourself.

Livingdoll.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register