Resuming sex 6 weeks after vaginal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Resuming sex 6 weeks after vaginal Resuming sex 6 weeks after vaginal

Unread 07-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Resuming sex 6 weeks after vaginal

According to my gyn, I am allowed to resume sex at six weeks post op. He feels that my stitches along the vaginal cuff should be healed by then. What have other doctors said about this? My 5 year wedding anniversary falls on the same weekend and we wanted to take a romantic out of town trip....but to be honest I'm afraid of cutting it too close...Any advice ladies? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Re: Resuming sex 6 weeks after vaginal

Oh sweet Jesus...my surgery was June 1st and I still have not had sex!!! I am beyond terrified!!! Good luck!! My doctor gave me the "go" at 6 weeks, told me to go slow, for me to be on top, and to use alot of lubrication! Im so scared and so is my husband!!! I guess when the time is right it will happen!!! Hugs xoxo and happy anniversay!!
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:04 PM

DH and I DTD this weekend for the first time. Honestly it wasn't that bad . I agree with the PP and use lube and go slow. Warning TMI ahead LOL The first time we DTD, full penetration did not occur. I had a rectal repair that is still a bit tender and we didn't want to force it, however the 2nd time was much better. Again, going slow is the key. Allow yourself time to stretch, my Dr. said it can take a few times of it being "uncomfortable/painful". I should add that I had cramping after words, but I am not sure if its related to sex. I have had continuous cramping for the past 6 weeks which we are investigating.
Anyhow,
enjoy your weekend together, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly143 View Post
Oh sweet Jesus...my surgery was June 1st and I still have not had sex!!! I am beyond terrified!!! Good luck!! My doctor gave me the "go" at 6 weeks, told me to go slow, for me to be on top, and to use alot of lubrication! Im so scared and so is my husband!!! I guess when the time is right it will happen!!! Hugs xoxo and happy anniversay!!
Thank you kimberly. I'll remember to take it slow. Wish me luck!!
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura30 View Post
DH and I DTD this weekend for the first time. Honestly it wasn't that bad . I agree with the PP and use lube and go slow. Warning TMI ahead LOL The first time we DTD, full penetration did not occur. I had a rectal repair that is still a bit tender and we didn't want to force it, however the 2nd time was much better. Again, going slow is the key. Allow yourself time to stretch, my Dr. said it can take a few times of it being "uncomfortable/painful". I should add that I had cramping after words, but I am not sure if its related to sex. I have had continuous cramping for the past 6 weeks which we are investigating.
Anyhow,
enjoy your weekend together, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and have fun.
Thank you and I will take it slow. Im scared of pain and infection. I wonder if it is a risk. Any information on that?
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:23 PM

sorry I can't help with the infection stuff. I would think that if you have been given the all clear, you should be good to go. But don't quote me. LOL i was terrified of the pain, but for me there really wasn't any inside, it was just my perri area stretching and that was only uncomfortable. I think we can work it up in our head to be worse than what it is. YKWIM?
Unread 07-25-2012, 05:45 AM

My DH and I dtd when I was almost 6 weeks post op. my stitches were not completely gone and my gyn said no until the 8 week mark. But I could not wait any longer. We had full penetration with me on too. That way I could control everything. I had no pain or spotting afterwards. It was amazing. My "O" was better I agree take it slow Go at your pace.
Unread 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura30 View Post
sorry I can't help with the infection stuff. I would think that if you have been given the all clear, you should be good to go. But don't quote me. LOL i was terrified of the pain, but for me there really wasn't any inside, it was just my perri area stretching and that was only uncomfortable. I think we can work it up in our head to be worse than what it is. YKWIM?
Thanks laura 30, Youre right...Im letting my imagination run...I gotta cut out this anxious way of viewing my recovery. I appreciate your time and happy healing to you. Take good care.
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM

I definitely wanted to wait until my dr cleared me, saw too many horror stories on here of women who didn't. My dr cleared me at 6 wks po & said not to be surprised if I saw pink or had cramping afterwards. To me that screamed "not healed!". I have never had an uncomfortable pap but this internal exam was not comfortable. A couple wks later I put my finger inside and felt along the top of the cuff. It felt sore like you feel when you press on a healing cut or sore. To me, soreness means, "Not healed", so we didn't go for it. At 9 wks po I felt inside and didn't have any soreness so decided to go for it. We did but it wasn't the greatest because we rushed, my mind was on the cuff, and things fizzled quite rapidly. At 10 1/2 wks po we tried again and that was the magic number for us. We both had a couple glasses of wine so we were really relaxed. Let me just say it was Great ! The big "O" was a big "O" and felt really good. I had no discomfort and no bleeding.

So listen to your "body" (after you've been cleared) and not to some random date that the dr gives to everyone. For you it may be WAYYYY sooner than 10 wks. I certainly would have had I been ready. I am sooooo glad we waited until my body was completely healed on the inside. Your body will thank you and reward you!!
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:22 PM

Dear Laneylaine,
Thank your for your reply. I sincerely appreciate your being open with me. After reading your post. it prompted me to approach my husband.....I had a talk with the hubby and we agreed to do a test run when cleared....
that way I wont feel so pressured. I thank you for taking the time to help me with this . It definitely helped. Thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register