Should I do this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I do this? Should I do this?

Unread 08-16-2001, 08:28 PM
Should I do this?

Hi ladies - I am so happy I've found this board - I was hooked on the Disney Cruise Line Board for months before our Magical Trip on 7/28, and now have found a new "home" I guess. Here is my concern.

I am 40 yrs old - (just!) We have 2 DS, 12 & almost 7, both C-Sections. After the last DS, I had a tubal - our family is complete. I have had some problems with heavy periods over the last few years, but this last one has cause concern.

I've been bleeding for the last 5 weeks - 1st -light, 2nd, 3rd (during our cruise - talk about scary and a pain in the butt too!) and 4th VERY heavy, and this last 5th is heavy to average flow (no more giant clots!)

I went to my Dr. last week and after an internal Ultrasound - found out to have polups(sp), thickening of the Uterus lining, and low and behold, a Complex Cyst on my left ovary.

I found out today that my blood work came back normal, and after a CAT scan learned that the cyst is 7 cm, and has compartments.

This is our plan: Next Wed, 8/22 I will have a D&C - and have the tissue analyzed.

THe following Wed, 8/29, the Dr will remove the cyst, I believe abdominally, and if the results from the D&C tissue warrent it, do a full Hyster. (Right now I am assuming abdominally) He also said I can choose to have everything taken out - even if the D&C tissue doesn't show any C or pre-C cells.

Finally my ?? Am I too young for a Hysterectomy I know the pros are no more bleeding, or cramping. And taking everything out - lessens my chances for those organs to become diseased in the future.

My BIG question is -- what are the Cons to having one?
How will my life change?
HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2001, 09:13 PM
Should I do this?

Well Sweetie, To be honest with you, I can only think of a few cons.
!. After a hyster, other organs can prolapse....this is stopped by either more surgery or re-inforcing when they are in there at time of hyster.
2. If they take your ovaries, there is a greater chance down the road, even of you do respond to HRT, that you will have problems with your thyroid and adrenal glands.
3.Long recovery process.
4.And finally , some emotional changes if you are not totally sure you want this, or they take your ovaries.
That said, I am 37 and having one and repairs for bladder and rectum prolapse too and looking forward to seeing it go! No more periods, No more pain, No more worrying about whether or not these organs will get cancer later on, no more wondering if this might happen later after my problem gets worse. Then I might not handle the surgery as well as I would now.
It is such a personal decision. Everyone probably has different pros and cons.
I only know for me it is the right choice. Young or not.[I am 37] And in a way, even though my hubby has a vasectomy, I felt like something was being taken away from me. My choices were being limited.
Now I realize they aren't. This will open my world again to no pain and planning around the heavy days, and hurting all the time. And I also realized I don't live in my uterus. I live in my heart, soul and mind. I am and will be after surgery-the same person.
Does age matter----only if your heart and head think it does. Please compare your quality of life now to before this all started. Is it the same? Would you liek it different? How much pain are you willing to live with? These are some of the questions that I had to ask myself to find the pros and cons.
I wish you well! Have a beautiful look in the mirror, and know whatever you decide, it is right for you!
Peanut
Unread 08-17-2001, 05:26 AM
Should I do this?

The good news for you is that there is no reason to jump into surgery until you want it. There is no life threatening condition that is forcing you into a decision right now.

That said, most hysts are done not to save lives but to give us back our quality of life. I can't think of a single reason NOT to have had mine, it was the best thing I ever did for myself. You are never too young if the situation warrents it, I was 37, some women are in their twenties and just can't live a normal life.

This is a personal decision, but don't concern yourself that you aren't in enough pain yet and don't deserve one yet. It's amazing to me the guilt that some women feel, like they haven't tried enough remedies and are "giving up". When you decide that your uterus is more trouble than it's worth, have the hyst and don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2001, 05:36 AM
Should I do this?

Your never to young.
Seriously though I am only 33 and I am now 8 days post op. My surgery was 8-9-2001, However I worried that maybe I was to young as well, but like you I was done with child bearing, and I needed to have such surgery in order for me to live a healthy future, no matter what though, age could not hinder my decision because if I would of let it, then instead of waiting on my healing process, I would be waiting for another painful period, and painful PMS> And God knows how many monthes and yrs. went by when I and my family suffered through those times.

I hope that your D&C is a promising one, and that you can overcome the age issue, because, there as you'll find here at this site, there is alot of younger woman whom have had to have the surgery done.

Good luck to you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Unread 08-17-2001, 06:09 AM
Should I do this?

Hey!! We are almost in the same boat!! I'm 38(just!) and have 2DD and 1DS. After the ds-I had the tubal also!! So having more children wasn't what we wanted. I had lapro done 9 years ago for pain in abd. and hip/leg. When Doc got in there-the adhesions were too bad and thick to laser. He wouldn't do a hyster at the time because of my age-but did a d&c to try to slow down the preiods. THat worked for a while-But now I flood and have developed a severe pain in my left side-knife like and BURNING!! So he agreed it's time-For insurance purposes-he's going in blind-don't know what he'll find once he gets in there!!! AS for no more children-remember that one of the GREATEST Blessings we have as mothers is getting to raise the children God has given us-THEN getting grandchildren!!!! I know-I have a precious granddaughter who is 17 months old and the best part is she lives next door!!! God is always on our side with blessing galore!!! Keep your chin up and keep reading everything on these boards-I know that's wwhat I'm gonna do!! susie
Unread 08-17-2001, 07:22 AM
Hi Shercara

Like everyone else said, you have time to make this decision, keep coming to this site and asking questions and viewing other experiences from ladies just like you!!!
For me, and I am only 37 it has been a total blessing!!! I am almost 9 weeks post-op, and I still expect my periods to hit any day, but guess what NO PERIODS, NO PAIN, NO planning my life around periods and when I did plan it would happen anyway!! My 12 year old neice even told me last summer, "everytime we do something you are on your period" and it was true!!! I used to have cramps about 14 days out of the month, not just when I was on my period, I feel like I have control over my life again and it has been wonderful, I kept both my overies because I am only 37 and did not want to go through menopause, and have done wonderful in my recovery, I swear I had more pain before surgery than after!! I had a vaginal hysterectomy with NO complications.
This is only my experience but I thought I would share
take care of yourself
Kelly
Unread 08-17-2001, 09:59 AM
Should I do this?

Hi Shercara Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy that you've decided to make this place your new home: it's my home too, and has been since last September

Shercara, as the others have pointed out, you have the opportunity to take your time and to explore your options. Have you seeked a second, even a third opinion? An hysterectomy is a major surgery. Not only does it entail a long recovery, it also involves physical and emotional issues associated with the removal of a reproductive organ. And, it usually is done to improve our quality of life.

I would suggest that you check in the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives message board where you will find others who are exploring alternatives to surgery.

Wishing you the best of luck in your quest for answers. We'll be with you every step of the way, regardless of your decision.
Unread 08-17-2001, 06:42 PM
Should I do this?

i am 24 and do not feel that my age was ever an issue. i have suffered from the beginning and am so excited that i finally can go on with my life. my symptoms were so severe that i never considered any other factors. if your symptoms are interfering with your life, you should seriously consider it.
Unread 08-17-2001, 06:51 PM
WOW you guys are GREAT!

THANK you all for your kind words and concern -- this is one WONDERFUL Place - I feel so blessed to have found it and all of you and thank you for your help and support.

THe D&C is still scheduled for 8/22, but the other surgery was moved to 9/5 (Dr's schedule)

While doing more thinking - I'm really not that concerned about age- and loosing part of my body -that I no longer need. That really doesn't bother me.

The DR said he needs to go in abdominally to remove the complex 7 cm cyst. This could also involve the left ovary, and tube. He may have to remove them also. He could do a hysterectomy through the same incision, at the same time. If the lab results come back questionable from the D&C - It will make my decision easier to go ahead with it, to take everything out. If all is okay - then it will be up to me what I want to do --

Leave one or both ovarys and uterus?

Take out the left ovary and the uterus and leave the right one?

Take everything out? With no ovaries - how will my life change and sex life change?

My other concern is hormone therapy.

What are the cons?

I am preparing a list of ?? for the Dr to ask on Monday and appreciate all this wonderful first hand feedback.

Again with many thanks,
Sher
Unread 08-17-2001, 07:05 PM
Should I do this?

i wanted to say that it is a hard decision no matter what you are going through. i wish you the best. i do know first hand that hormone replacement therapy is a last resort for me because i had so many problems with"the pill". the MD says that bad or reverse reactions are due to the body reacting to the hormone and the hormone sources or the sam in both pills, just in different strenghts.there are many cons to surgery but getting everything necessary in one trip would save you double recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register