Being weepy and having flashbacks... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Being weepy and having flashbacks... Being weepy and having flashbacks...

Unread 07-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Being weepy and having flashbacks...

Hi.. This is my first time posting, except for the intro. My surgery was done on July 14 using the da Vinci robotic device. Here's my question, have any of you had flashbacks of your operation? I awoke with a cold sweat after I dreamed I was back in the "on deck circle" being prepped for my operation. I could see the room and all the medical staff with their shower caps on looking down at me. I've had similar occurances even while awake. I try not to cry in front of my family, but these thoughts get me very upset. Other times I cry for no apparent reason... I was taking birth control pills up to my surgery date, and am wondering if there is a connection. I used to get weepy 1/2 way through my cycle. Has anyone experienced any of these? Many thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Re: Being weepy and having flashbacks...

Hey choochi face-
Had my daVinci Jun 29th - all I remember is starting to slide myself over on the operating table, then feeling like I blinked, and then a very nice nurse was holding my hand & telling me I was done and everything went awesome. I'm sorry you're feeling weepy..did you have your ovaries removed? That might be adding to your emotional reaction. I wish you could feel like I did..I was so happy and relieved everything was over and went well! Try to focus on the positive..let your family and friends know you could use a little extra support now too! And don't forget to reach out to your sisters here...we're ALL here for you!! I'm sending lots of get well wishes and positive energy vibes your way, sister!!
Di
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:07 AM

Hi...had my surgery 7/13 and barely even REMEMBER it (I had a great anesthetist!), so no "flashbacks"......however I have been weepy periodically since, although I've been told that I'm not that far out from it, and things (emotions) should settle down in the coming weeks.....one can only hope!!!
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM

Thanks ladies for the kind words of support... I will get through this. What I think, also, is that before my operation I was putting on a brave face, even kidding about my surgery and now I am releasing all the fears and tears I kept bottled up. take care.....
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:36 PM

Choochi I tink you're right. You are remembering a scene from a traumatic time.

I was first taken to a room to prepare me for the operating room. I was in a very small hospital way out in the country here in southern Louisiana so it was nothing like hospitals most of us think of. Anyway i remember 2 women talking to me telling me they would be taking care of the anesthesia and I recall saying a little prayer asking my angels to watch over me. I heard one of the women tell me that I would be getting something to help me relax. next thing I knew I was in my room with people around me and I realized I had been through surgery. So there wasn't even any scene for me to relive. BUT I have been crying my eyes out ever since I got home. For no reason at all. I can be sitting watching TV and some thought will hit me and the tears just come flooding out. I assume it's hormonal. It feels alot like my menopausal symptoms from years ago. They took both my ovaries but I figured since I was post menopause that I would not experience any of those things. I was wrong...

love the emoticon you used!
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks, Chebo... It helps somehow to know that we are not alone in our situations... Thanks for posting. take care
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:13 PM

Hiya,

I definitely had surgery flashbacks for a few days/weeks. I have never felt so weak in my life just after I woke up and I kept thinking about that feeling and hoping I would never feel like that again. Given the intensity of the moment and the emotions around it, I think this is perfectly normal and the memory has pretty much faded...good luck with your recovery!

Unread 08-01-2010, 12:57 AM

I kept my ovaries but have cried every day since my surgery. I even called the Nurse Practitioner for my surgeon and asked again to make sure if they DID leave my ovaries. She called me back and said "I promise you, we did leave your ovaries." I asked her if all the "manipulating" they did could've disrupted my hormones and she said no. I told her how emotional I've been and she said that it's probably from the anesthesia and pain medication. Apparently after I was out in the OR, it took the surgeon over an hour to get the da Vinci instruments in place because I am obese with a very large stomach -- the surgeon told me on my first followup visit he had to "pull every trick he knew out of the book" to do me lap and that he had to do a lot of "manipulating" of my insides once he was inside my abdomen.

I've been sitting here reading posts crying for no apparent reason...I don't know, but just wanted to share with you that I am crying, too.

Best wishes,

Dana B in Houston, TX
1992 - Endometriosis & D & C
2005 - Novasure endometrial ablation for heavy bleeding (no period for 5 years)
7/16/10 - da Vinci assisted laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy due to fibroids, severe abdominal pain and nausea/vomiting (ER visits & missed work) -- kept ovaries
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:46 AM

Thanks Avatar and Deb for sharing your experiences with me. I do still have my ovaries so maybe this is why I'm still riding this emotional roller coaster. I know I will get through this, but sometimes it's hard to convince myself. Deb, our surgeries were 2 days apart, let's be strong for each other...
take care.....
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:22 AM

It's traumatic to your body. I've not had any nightmares about surgery but I've had other nightmares. I feel like I've been having PMS almost constantly. I don't think my ovaries are quite working right again but I heard it can take a few months to get back to normal if you keep them. It will get better hun. Just allow yourself to grieve if you need to and know that things will straighten out eventually.
I'm 8 weeks post op now and am just now feeling like I'm really glad I had this done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register