Scheduled dVH/RALH Do I need my Mom to come stay?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I need my Mom to come stay?? Do I need my Mom to come stay??

Unread 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Do I need my Mom to come stay??

Well, I'm officially waiting.......waiting for my insurance company to approve my hysterectomy.....waiting for this so I can schedule my surgery date....& waiting for the facility my doctor wants to use to be a preferred provider for my insurance plan again. The good news is the facility will be back on my plan 8/15/11 (the agony of waiting is almost as bad as the bleeding and pain I am having.) My husband will be with me the first day I come home from the hospital, but after that, I'm sending him back to work. Do you think I actually need someone to stay with me while he is gone? ie my Mom? She has offered to come and stay but she herself is riddled with health problems and I fear I'll end up taking care of myself and her too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Re: Do I need my Mom to come stay??

I have been wondering the same thing. I will send my DH back to work the next day and I love my mother, but sometimes she can make things worse. The only problem that I foresee, is needing to eat and we are really not supposed to do ANYTHING for 2 weeks from what I have been told by my doctor.
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:42 PM

Yes, you will need someone the first 3-4 days after the hospital. You will be on pain meds and not fully yourself. Maybe you won't need her to stay that long. Gook luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM

DH and I talked about this again tonight and he thinks the same as I do, I wouldn't be resting like I'm suppose to be. He only works 10 minutes from home, so he's agreed to come home and prepare my lunch day 3 and 4. After that, he'll be home for the rest of the week. He's agreed to help me prepare meals ahead of time to put in the freezer so he only has to heat them up. We haven't told anyone about my dVH, with the exception of my parents, yet since we don't know date/time yet. My mom was suppose to come stay with us when I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago, but she changed her mind at the last minute. DH and I did almost this exact arrangement back then. Thank you ladies for your responses.....now I'm going to get back to my anxious waiting...lol.
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:44 PM

I've been concerned about this too. I don't really have anyone here to stay with me once I get horm from the hospital after the first day and will mostly have to take care of myself because my husband works 12 hour days. My doctor says I'll be there for 3-4 days and I'm expecting they'll kick me out after 3.
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM

It depends. Do you have kids you need help with? I had my surgery on a Tuesday, came home Wednesday. My husband went to work Thursday. I have 3 kids, but they're in New England with the grandparents until August. I was fine by myself and I had an abdominal incision and stairs to deal with.

I know everyone is different, but if you don't have kids you'll need help with, you probably won't need your mom.
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:20 PM

Im having DvH Tuesday, and my DH is going back to work Wednesday if they release me early enough, or Thursday otherwise. I'll be home alone with my 2 boys from there on out through the day. If you arent navigating a bunch of stairs while you are on pain meds, I think youll be fine alone. Just set up as many of the things that you need regularly close to you to limit your times up and down during the day.
Unread 06-30-2011, 04:18 AM

Thanks ladies! My child is going to stay with friends for the first 2 days, then he will be at daycare all day until my dh picks him up. I think I will feel much better about this as soon as we have an actual date. DH says I'm a type a personality that can run as long as there is a plan. Dear Lord I love this man!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register