Scheduled TAH On methadone for 4 years for a lortab addiction. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

On methadone for 4 years for a lortab addiction. On methadone for 4 years for a lortab addiction.

Unread 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM
On methadone for 4 years for a lortab addiction.

I am having a TAH in 3 weeks. I am scared they want be able to control my pain post op. Has anyone had this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Re: On methadone for 4 years for a lortab addiction.

Hi carriethweatt -

I don't know how this will impact your pain management. Please tell your doctor, if you have not already, so they know what is going on.

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:17 PM

Thank you. I plan on talking with doctors nurses everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:23 PM

4 years on methadone is a long time. The idea of the methadone is to wean you off. If you think it will affect your pain after surgery, ask for a different type of pain killer. Perhaps demerol.
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:59 AM

Yea 4 years is a long time. I tried getting off the methadone. I have fought with depression and insomnia for most of my life. After I got on the methadone I started sleeping regular and the depression went away for once. I tried getting off one time it through me into a major depression and couldn't sleep so I got back on it. I got on loratabs because of my Endo pain so hopefully after I get well from my surgery would be a better time to get off of it.
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM

If you have a TAH you are probably looking at a 2 or 3 day stay at least. I would suggest a written plan before you go in, and keep a copy of the plan. You'll need to stay on your usual meds, plus have post op meds in adequate doses, is my understanding. If your facility has a pain management consult service, maybe your Dr could work with them. It'll be important to have a plan in advance. Also be sure the anesthesiologist knows your meds and history. I hope you can get everyone working together so you have a good experience.
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Carriethweatt, you definitely to make sure that your surgeon, anesthesiologist and hospital know about the methadone and what your dosage is. *All* of the medications used to manage pain during and after surgery are various sorts of opioids, as is methadone itself. They're using the same receptors in your brain as the methadone is. Your doctors will need to be very careful as to how (and even if) they mix other opioids with the methadone you're already on.

Also, you need to make sure that either the hospital pharmacy can supply you with methadone during your stay or that your regular pharmacy is willing to issue you enough methadone in advance. Accessing your regular pharmacy during your recovery period may also be an issue, especially the first couple of weeks. You won't be able to walk more than a few blocks or to drive.

I've read previous posts from other sisters who were on methadone - try doing a search of this site on the word "methadone" and see if you can pick up those posts.

As for eventually weaning off methadone (or not), I'd suggest that's an issue for the future. You don't need it on your plate right now.
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Carriethweatt, you definitely to make sure that your surgeon, anesthesiologist and hospital know about the methadone and what your dosage is. *All* of the medications used to manage pain during and after surgery are various sorts of opioids, as is methadone itself.
(((carriethweatt))),

I agree that you definitely talk to your entire medical team about your upcoming surgery. Whomever prescribes the methadone may need to speak to your surgeon and anesthesiologist about what might be best for you.

One thing to know is that not *all* medications used to manage pain during and after surgery are opioids, so you do have a lot of other options.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register