questions about a myomectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions about a myomectomy questions about a myomectomy

Unread 06-07-2009, 04:56 PM
questions about a myomectomy

Can you tell me if a myomectomy requires an incision? Also how long were you on restrictions, for lifting etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Re: questions about a myomectomy

We have several myomectomy resources in the Resource Database. The following one specifically lists information regarding the various type of myomectomy including abdominal, laparoscopic, and robotic!

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=jump&lid=1133

Hope this helps!

Unread 06-08-2009, 05:04 PM

I have so many questions. Is a Myo not a good option depending on where they are located? I know the largest is pushing on my bladder. Is that a problem for removal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2009, 10:27 PM

From the research I did prior to my LSH the placement does effect the outcome, but a doctor experienced in myomectomies can give you a better idea.
The placement must effect what type you can have, open or lathroscopic, although I think most doctors prefer to do and open myo so they can get all the fibroids out.
Also recovery is stated as 6-8 weeks with an abdominal/open myomectomy.
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowstar View Post
From the research I did prior to my LSH the placement does effect the outcome, but a doctor experienced in myomectomies can give you a better idea.
The placement must effect what type you can have, open or lathroscopic, although I think most doctors prefer to do and open myo so they can get all the fibroids out.
Also recovery is stated as 6-8 weeks with an abdominal/open myomectomy.
Thats why I didn't want to do the Myo route to begin with. A long recover time. I don't plan on having anymore kids so it didn't make sense for us. I just wish the ins would see it that way.

Is it really any cheaper Myo vs Hyst?
Unread 06-09-2009, 10:16 AM

That I don't know. I can't imagine a myo being cheaper as it can be more labor intensive.
I opted for an LSH as the recovery time was way shorter. My Doctor did offer Myomectomy as in "if you are trying to maintain fertility". But I am 43 and even though I don't have kids once he gave me a 5% chance of getting pregnant with my own egg and going through the whole fertility thing I had second thoughts.

Will your insurance really not pay for the hyst?
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowstar View Post
That I don't know. I can't imagine a myo being cheaper as it can be more labor intensive.
I opted for an LSH as the recovery time was way shorter. My Doctor did offer Myomectomy as in "if you are trying to maintain fertility". But I am 43 and even though I don't have kids once he gave me a 5% chance of getting pregnant with my own egg and going through the whole fertility thing I had second thoughts.

Will your insurance really not pay for the hyst?
See thats what i thought and wondered why its considered an alternate option(or is it not according to ins?). What would be cheaper option?
The ins co has asked for more info.
I had my pre-op today and the dr said a myomectomy is not a good option because one of the large fibroids is inbeded in the uterus wall.
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM

ah but here is the rub. does your doctor perform myomectomies?
If they don't have experience with them they really can't tell you if you are a candidate or not.
My first doctor said a myo would leave my uterus "like hamburger", but she only does open TAH types of hysts. My second didn't do them, but did send me to one who did. She does lathroscopic surgeries, but was uncomfortable with the size of my fibroid uterus. My 3rd opinion said it was possible to do a mymomectomy but we would have to do open surgery. He also gave me the LSH option.
I found in my research that it is all who you talk to. It is so frustrating that doctors who don't perform a surgery, or treatment like UAE will just dismiss them. And you as the patient would never know if they were even possible.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register