unable to urinate 3 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

unable to urinate 3 weeks post-op unable to urinate 3 weeks post-op

Unread 06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
unable to urinate 3 weeks post-op

Had a vaginal hysterectomy with a&p repair and bladder sling on May 10.
Feeling good, taking my recovery slow and easy. Biggest problem is I still can't urinate. Went to uro today and had another catheter put in, he 'loosened' a stitch and put me on Flomax for 1 week. Next week if I still can't "go", he will teach me how to self cath at home. He seems to feel bad about this but promises me he has never had a patient who was unable to regain the ability to urinate. I am trying to stay positive. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? If so, how long did it persist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Re: unable to urinate 3 weeks post-op

Hi beachdreams

Welcome to Hystersisters! I had almost the same surgery as you and struggled some in the beginning to urinate too. I was able to go some, but after two weeks we found that I wasn't completely emptying and I had to begin self-cathing for about two weeks. As I healed it continued to get better. I think swelling is a factor in all this too.

Try to stay calm and rest to let your body heal. You had a lot of work done and the bladder lies so close to the uterus anyway many women struggle to get the easy use of their bladders back after a hysterectomy. It sounds like you have a good dr who will help you get through this. I still find my bladder to be a little bit 'shy'. I have to sit and think about relaxing everything so the flow will come unhindered. It's not a big deal, but it is there and it's different. I'm very happy that I don't have the incontinence problems I had before. I will take slow to flowing freely without control any day.

I hope you heal up and feel better soon. Keep us posted on your progress.
Rita
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:08 PM

I had my tension free sling May 11 and after 8 days on suparpubic cath, now I am self-cathing at least once each day. Wondering how you are doing and if you are now able to void on your own? I am getting very worried and nervous about this and wondering what other damage might be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:28 PM

What is a tension free sling? If you self cath once a day, does that mean you are urinating somewhat on your own? I go back to the uro on Tues (have cath in until then, so I don't know if I can pee on my own yet) Will be taught to self cath if needed......I'm still confidant that time will bring healing
Unread 06-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Not to be rude, but you will have to look it up on the internet. It is some type put in without stitches but held in place by tension and done by the doctor who did my surgery.
It is the only kind of sling done here.
I seem to go ok except in the morning when I cannot void. I just hope it gets better without having to cut the sling. Any help appreicated since I am getting very depressed with all of this.
Unread 06-13-2010, 07:45 PM

I will be 5 weeks post op tomorrow. Still cannot pee! I do not have a catheter at this point. I do clean intermittent self cath. My doc said 4x's a day, but I pee way more than that! At my 8 week mark, if I am not able to pee we will talk about loosening the sling. I have to say that each day I have had some dribble once a day while standing over the toilet. Today I actually had 3 legit streams of urine, albeit small streams that did not empty my bladder, but hey, it's progress. My recovery from the a&p has been slow...I still have sutures that are pinching and itching - I hope they come out soon. I refuse to give up hope that I will have a full and complete recovery in the near future

estes, how are you doing?
Unread 06-13-2010, 09:15 PM

To Beachdreams: It will be five weeks this Tuesday and I have to cath each morning. Then, the rest of the day, I can go normally although the stream is slow to start and I am not sure I am emptying the bladder. I go back to the doctor tomorrow and the doctor and his staff have been great. I have had, in the last week, terrific bladder spasms and I will see what the doctor says about that.
Thanks so much for answering. Everyone says it will work out and I do like being dry. They say you have to retrain the bladder and I know I had a lot of work done with the first surgery in Feb and the sling surgery three months later.
It is nice to know that you feel everything will finally work out.
You mentioned stretching the sling. I only knew they could cut the sling and I was not sure if incontinence would return although my doctor said the side would give sufficient support for continence. Please keep in touch if you do not mind. Thanks again.
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:55 AM

I had the same problem after my surgery, but thankfully didn't have to come home with a cath.

I do know that it is 'harder' to urinate now. Almost like i have to really concentrate on going pee, totally focus on going and i go twice while sitting there...meaning i have a stream and then a few seconds later more stream.

Feel like a 2 year old sometimes "okay now go pee pee in the potty".

I wish you girls the best!
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Thanks. This is frustrating but I am working on it. It does help to talk with people who have or have had the same problem so I know what to expect..success of failure!
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM

I am going in next Tuesday where my doc will insert something through the urethra to loosen the sling. He wants to try this before going in for more surgery. He was kind enough to call in a pain prescription that he wants me to take 30 mins before my visit. My husband will need to drive me in. I'll let you know how it goes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register