Return to work after total abdominal hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work after total abdominal hysterectomy? Return to work after total abdominal hysterectomy?

Unread 09-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Return to work after total abdominal hysterectomy?

Just wondering when others return to work after an abdominal hysterectomy in an office setting with no lifting. I am 3.5 weeks post surgery and planned to return part time this week but ended up holding off as I was still having some abdominal discomfort but I kind of feel like a wimp. I don't know whether I'm being reasonable and intelligent about healing or just being overly cautious. Of course it doesn't help that I have a male boss and work in an industry that expects 24/7 availability. (I have been working remotely doing the bare minimum almost the whole time I've been home). What are others' experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2015, 04:32 AM
Re: Return to work after TAH?

I went back to work part time at 4 weeks. I would still come home tired and a bit sore. I went back to work full time at 8 weeks. I am now almost 4 months out. I still have the occasional twinge of pain and am still very tired sometimes.
Unread 09-18-2015, 05:02 AM

I think it's very individual, I went back at 3 weeks with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2015, 05:47 AM

I went back to work at a part-time desk job at four weeks with no problems - but I had a female boss who's herself a cancer survivor. (My surgery was for cancer.)

Given the expectations of your boss and your industry (24/7 availability?!), it sounds to me as if you're being reasonable and cautious.
Unread 09-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Return to work after total abdominal hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmdh View Post
Just wondering when others return to work after an abdominal hysterectomy in an office setting with no lifting. I am 3.5 weeks post surgery and planned to return part time this week but ended up holding off as I was still having some abdominal discomfort but I kind of feel like a wimp. I don't know whether I'm being reasonable and intelligent about healing or just being overly cautious. Of course it doesn't help that I have a male boss and work in an industry that expects 24/7 availability. (I have been working remotely doing the bare minimum almost the whole time I've been home). What are others' experiences?
I had Tah Bso on 28th July. I went back to work at 4.5 weeks. I am an accountant in Investment Banking so very long days at a desk but have had no issues what so ever. Very individual though. I was not getting pressure but keen to get back into the office environment and see everyone as my surgery was an emergency so I just disappeared one day.
Unread 09-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Re: Return to work after total abdominal hysterectomy?

I am a little more than 3 months out from my surgery. I went back part-time, to my desk job, at four weeks. I was very sore and swollen when I got home each day - I think from being in the car (45 minutes each way daily commute), shuttling kids, going to the grocery store - just kind of jumping back in way too soon. I slowed down a bit after that and then went back full-time at six weeks with no issues. At eight I felt almost completely normal other than some sharp twinges, and now often forget that I even had the surgery until I experience PMS and no period!
Unread 09-18-2015, 06:52 PM

I had my TAH 3 days before you had your surgery. I took 3 weeks off and I returned to work full time this week with no problems. I also have a desk job with no lifting involved. However, as we all know everyone heals differently and at different times. If you feel you need another week and you can take it, do it, don't rush yourself as you want to make sure you are properly healed. Wishing you all the best!!
Unread 09-19-2015, 11:47 AM

I went back at 8 weeks as I had all that time off paid. I was still having problems at that time. Wished I took more time off. I went at back part time for 2 weeks. I have a physical demanding job. So everyone does heal differently. Don't feel like a wimp, it is your body that is healing..
Unread 09-19-2015, 06:08 PM

Don't feel like a wimp. I'm approved from my short term disability until Oct 20. Had my TAH abdominal up and down incision sept 8. I have two male bosses and have had zero time to date off. I am run ragged and highly stressed at my desk job. If my doctor says I can be out until Oct 20 you best believe I'm going to be out.

I too have done the minimum at home and answered emails etc for my temp etc. I've got the are you okay calls that lead into where is that file.

Listen to your body. You only have now to let yourself heal.
Unread 09-19-2015, 11:18 PM

I am going back Monday. My TAH was 8/21. I am an RN. My job is pretty demanding. I hope it's the right choice. I went from working 65 hours a week to 70% of 40 hours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register