Bowel prep questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep questions Bowel prep questions

Unread 08-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Bowel prep questions

My hysterectomy is sept 4th. I get to start bowel prep (10 oz mag cit and 2 ducolax) as soon as I get back from taking kids to first day of school. Yay! I need to get the butt paste still and my liquid diet for the day. But after web searching I'm scared I'll still be going by surgery time early, early the next morning. Worried I'll barf it up (pharmacy lady said to freeze till it is slushy like, she's done it so many times and it is the most palatable way). I tend to get the loose stools on my own without any medical help andam scared if taking all those lalaxatives! How long does the throne time last? And I need some suggestions for funny or entertaining books that I can have on my kindle? Maybe I'll just watch Lost again. The stupid bowel prep has me more anxious than the surgery! It will be LVAH but possibly open depending on the mass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Re: Bowel prep questions and funny book suggestions.

I would love these answers, too. I'm supposed to be doing my prep on Monday. As for reading material, I'm currently reading book 5 of the Game of Thrones series which seems strangely and ironically appropriate!
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:27 AM

I was anxious too but it will not be too bad. I had to take 2 Ducolax in the a.m. and drink 64 oz. of Miralax starting in the afternoon every 1/2 hour until gone 6:30pm. The Miralax was mixed with water and had no taste. The bowels started in about 2:00pm and did not stop until about 9:00pm. Definitely stay by the toilet and do not plan on going anywhere. Also, I had A&D ointment for my bum and it helped a bit to sooth it. I also had the wipes available to clean up my bum area. I had to be at the hospital the next day at 6:00am, and I only had to go slightly once (I think it was nerves). Honestly, you will not have anything left in you! As far as the liquid diet, the only thing I had was broth. I was so full from the liquid I had to drink.

I wish you luck and try not to worry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM

I am 3 wks post-op had LAVH and had the same cencern with the bowel prep! I may not have good advice I had myself so worked up over it that I ended haveing to drink 1 1/2 bottles. bathroom time wasnt too bad I followed some advice I got from a friend of mine who had her surgry 2 wks before me and that is make sure you have some baby wipes. good luck with the surgery!
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Bowel prep questions

I started my prep at noon on Sunday, had to be there at 5:30am on Monday. I was finished by 9pm, had to drink the citrate of magnesia at noon then 8 oz. of liquid every hour til 6pm.The A&D and baby wipes are a good idea, my rear was sore from all the liquids. Nothing but soft foods the day before either. By the time I could eat after my surgery, I was starving!
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Bowel prep questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariahrose View Post
My hysterectomy is sept 4th. I get to start bowel prep (10 oz mag cit and 2 ducolax) as soon as I get back from taking kids to first day of school. Yay! I need to get the butt paste still and my liquid diet for the day. But after web searching I'm scared I'll still be going by surgery time early, early the next morning. Worried I'll barf it up (pharmacy lady said to freeze till it is slushy like, she's done it so many times and it is the most palatable way). I tend to get the loose stools on my own without any medical help andam scared if taking all those lalaxatives! How long does the throne time last? And I need some suggestions for funny or entertaining books that I can have on my kindle? Maybe I'll just watch Lost again. The stupid bowel prep has me more anxious than the surgery! It will be LVAH but possibly open depending on the mass.
Thanks ladies. We already have wipes in there for my kiddos. I'm sure I will be fine by the next morning since I have to take all the stuff in the morning. At least I love jello.
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM

I've drank that stuff on 4 occasions (I've had 4 colonoscopies) and its really not so bad. It's like a really sweet 7-up. But defiantly make sure it's as cold as you can get it.

Good luck !! My bowel prep is on the 29th and surgery on the 30th.
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Re: Bowel prep questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariahrose View Post
And I need some suggestions for funny or entertaining books that I can have on my kindle? Maybe I'll just watch Lost again.

You may find what you're looking for in our Review It! forum. If not, then you could try starting a new thread there to see what the ladies come up with?

Best wishes!

:bunnyhug:
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Bowel prep questions

Uncle John's Bathroom Readers have been a long time favorite. It's filled with short stories, nonsense trivia, lots of fun stuff.

Constipation was a major issue for the first week post op. I would strongly recommend that you have stool softeners or milk of magnesia on hand. My doctor told me at my two week post op visit that I still need to be careful not to engage my core muscles including bearing down or pushing for bowel movements.
There are also some great recipes on here that I wish I had found prior to my surgery, stuff you can make ahead to help keep you going easily.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Re: Bowel prep questions

Me too y'all. Surgery on Tuesday the 27th and no word about any prep from hospital except pre-op physical (done) and no food/drink for 8 hours. I've been badly constipated for months, lacitives and stool softeners don't seem to help. Kind of worried about being too "overloaded" for surgery?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register