Choosing a surgeon | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Choosing a surgeon Choosing a surgeon

Unread 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Choosing a surgeon

How many doctors did you interview before making the decision to have surgery? How did you know the doctor you picked was the "right" one?

I have met with 4-5 doctors in the last couple of years, and I am still unsure as how to proceed. I thought I knew after meeting my 5th doctor on Friday, and now I'm not so sure again. He only does DaVinci- or that is his method of choice. He seems so kind and so thorough- ordered an mri before surgery because he wants to make sure he knows what we are dealing with- NO doctor has done that before.

I'm now afraid of the fact that he does DaVinci because I've read horror stories about it. I'm also obese and wondering if open surgery is better and safer for me. I know I am anxious and I also have PTSD from my first c section and recovery- so I am micromanaging which I know is not helpful.

How did you know which doctor to proceed with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Re: Choosing a surgeon

"I'm now afraid of the fact that he does DaVinci because I've read horror stories about it. I'm also obese and wondering if open surgery is better and safer for me. I know I am anxious and I also have PTSD from my first c section and recovery- so I am micromanaging which I know is not helpful. "

I talked to 2 surgeons, and picked the one I did because 1) I liked her and her approach so much better and 2)she is part of the medical practice I use for pretty much everything else. She started out asking what I knew about what was going on, and a little later she asked what my fears were. She treated me as whole person, not just a uterus!

From what I've read, the DavVinci system usually has good outcomes. I know nothing is perfect, and if you are one of the bad ones, it doesn't help that most are fine, but both surgeons I talked to use it.

I am obese as well, and she thinks she will be able to do laprospcic as well, she said open surgery is riskier overall, and that fat doesn't heal well often. For what it's worth.
Unread 02-22-2016, 01:14 PM

THANK you. That helps so much. I just spoke to him again today because he called to tell me what my hemoglobin was from Friday. It's 11.3!!!

That's the highest it's been in over 2 years. No wonder I feel better.

I was reminded today of how kind this doctor is and why I felt so great when I met him last week. I think I will proceed with him and get this overwith. Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2016, 03:14 PM

That's awesome news about your blood count. Having had a blood transfusion 2 weeks ago (prior to hysterectomy 3 days later!), I know how awful it can feel to have low blood counts.

Absolutely follow your gut and your head, which is sounds like you're doing. And try and opt for a surgery that is as minimally invasive as possible. An abdominal wound is just something else that has to be healed. I didn't have DaVinci but it sounds pretty cool to say a robot assisted in your surgery! And remember, all surgery carries with it the risk of complication.

Lastly, if you're going to be tempted to Google DaVinci, add 'positive stories' to the search term. You'll probably find a huge number of them there as well. I find that the more positive stories I expose myself to, the more positive I become, and then the smoother life actually is. Glass half full/glass half empty!
Unread 02-22-2016, 03:27 PM

Thank you so much. I had a transfusion back in December, when my hgb was 6.8. I couldn't walk down the hall without getting out of breath. So I totally get it.

I'm trying to go with my gut and know that no matter which doctor I choose, they are the ones with the experience and the knowledge and I have to just accept that i'm going to be ok
Unread 02-22-2016, 03:54 PM

You have been given great advice so all I wish to add us a link you may find interesting:

Considerations for Overweight Patients

Please try to select the doctor that listens to you and that you feel the most comfortable with in terms of professionalism, compassion and skill.

Hugs and best of luck.
Unread 02-22-2016, 04:26 PM

I did have lunch with a friend who had the DaVinci surgery when it was new, and did just fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register