dVH/RALH Spinal pain from epidural? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spinal pain from epidural? Spinal pain from epidural?

Unread 12-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Spinal pain from epidural?

I had my DvH on 11/29. My spine hurt while laying on the epidural in the hospital. I hoped after it was removed it would feel better, but my spine still hurts. There is no visible bruising, etc, but it is extrememly sore if I push on my spine, twist, bend, or lay on it wrong. I get some numbness and tingling around it too. Anyone else have this? I am scared that this is not going to go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Re: Spinal pain from epidural?

Hi there! I had an epidural as well and I recall having lower back pain for quite some time. It may not have been just from the epidural but possibly just from being on the table so long.

It hasn't been long since you had your surgery so I'd give it some more time unless there is redness or other signs of infection.

When in doubt, always call your doctor.

I wish you the best!
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM

I am one month out today from my surgery, and I am healing well from the hysterectomy, but the pain in and around my spine is still a constant issue. My surgeon was no help. He told me to take Aleve twice a day for two weeks to take the swelling down, but it was not helping. I have pain and burning in and around the epidural injection site and numbness and tingling that radiate out several inches from that spot. It is hard to lay down, sit or do anything. While I have had minor improvement since week one, it is still bad enough that I cannot resume my regular daily activities. So I decided to make an appointment with my family doctor today. He was very comforting, said he had seen this before and that it will take 3 to 6 months to heal. He explained what can happen during an epidural and why I have inflammation and pain now. He thoroughly examined my spine and checked my reflexes and assured me that my spine looked fine, it is the area (tendons and ligaments?) around the spine that are inflamed. He prescribed Celebrex, Ultram, Tylenol, Xanax, Elavil, and Prilosec. I am to take these for 1 week and follow up with him. I hope this works. The thought of being in this pain from here on out was really upsetting me (hence the Xanax.) I hope this gives encouragement to others who might be looking for answers on the same kind of pain. I will follow up with how the treatment goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM

I just wanted to post a follow up in case anyone else encounters this same problem. I ended up only taking the Celebrex out of all the drugs I listed and was prescribed. It really helped take the swelling down around my spine and I started to see improvement after being on it a couple of weeks. I took it for about a month in total, with the last week only taking it every other day. It has been over three months since my surgery and I still have bouts of mild numbness and pain, but while it is annoying and uncomfortable, it is tolerable. Nothing like the severe pain and numbness I had in those first 6 - 8 weeks. I find that proper posture and streching exercises have helped when I start to feel the numbness and pain coming on. My Doctor also recommended I take the Celebrex as needed for any flare ups. I hope this info may help if someone else encounters the same problem. I know how terrified I was the first month after surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register