rapid heart beat anyone???????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rapid heart beat anyone???????? rapid heart beat anyone????????

Unread 10-25-2006, 12:50 PM
rapid heart beat anyone????????

I am getting concerned here. If you see me today, you would never guess that I was athletic at all. I am 6 days post-op.
I am fatigued all the time. A small walk will make my heart race like if I had just went thru 2 hours of full impact aerobics. What is up with that?????
Ok, so I cheated and went down the stairs last night to have dinner at the table like a normal person, I thought I was going to faint, I could not catch my breath. Any small movement make my heart race so fast it feels it is going to POP out of my chest and short of breath.
I went to the doctors yesterday to get the Foley catheter out and the nurse noticed that I was fatigued from moving on the chair. By the time she took my vitals, I was ok...
Has this happened to anyone??? Is this something expected??? I was fine before surgery and use to be very active, as a matter of fact I went quading and did crazy stuff, enough to make my daughters think that I was suicidal. So you see, I am a bit scared... enlighten me please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2006, 01:03 PM

Please, phone your doctor and let them know - especially about the being short of breath. It could be one of the meds having a side effect or something else.
Please, do call or go to the ER.
I was dizzy for a couple of weeks and off balance but never did I have problems breathing.
Let us know how you are K?
Unread 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM

Check your heart beats a minute. The normal bpm is anywhere from 60-100, anything over that is considered high. You may feel like it is beating fast but be surprised to find it beating normal. You may just be more sensitive when it comes to feeling your heart rate since surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2006, 01:28 PM

Nancy,
At every step of my recovery when I would EXERT myself, it felt like I had run a mile. I can sometimes even feel my heart flutter, but it's probably just that it's beating faster. And you are only a few days out... you will rebuild your stamina... you will be athletic again. I try to console myself with "just think how hard it'd be if I hadn't been athletic before this surgery!"
Marianne
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:57 PM

Hi Nancy,
I too had the severe heart palpitations and racing heart after my surgery. I told the doc in the hospital and they ran all sorts of tests. Nothing came out, but as soon as the morphine pump meds came out of my body after a week or two it stopped happening. Your surgery was less than a week ago. It could be that. Also I just noticed you had a BSO. Are you on HRT? Sometimes it can be a symptom of menopause.
Hope it goes away on its own,
Tara
Unread 10-25-2006, 03:00 PM

I had that for about a week-I think mine was due to anemia from my blood loss-My pulse was between 100-120 in the hospital and they sent me home-I would check with the Drs. office thought just to make them aware-Good Luck-Lynette
Unread 10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Me too!

I had rapid heart beat too- 100-120 beat per minute about a month after surgery. I was having complications, so it was attributed to anxiety. My internist put me thru many heart tests, and ened up changing my high blood pressure medicine from a diuretic to a beta blocker. I feel so much better! My heart rate is back in the 70's to 80's. Be sure to get this checked out-fast heart rate can be so exhausting-you never feel like you can rest!
Unread 10-25-2006, 07:38 PM

I agree with the other Sisters. You need to call your doc ASAP.

I too had some issues after my hyster and ended up having Open Heart Surgery only 16 weeks after my hyster. So I am again recovering.

Don't let anyone tell you that you don't hurt or have another problem, you know your body. I bounced from doc to doc trying to find an answer and low and behold it was very serious and I was in surgery ASAP, once the real problem was found.

Please keep us posted.
Unread 10-26-2006, 02:03 AM

Thank you Girls!!! Thank you all. I know that you have all given me something different. You are right, when we talk about the heart, it is not a game. I am hoping that it is only anxiety, I guess we all go thru that, (you should see what the kitchen looks like
I will be calling the doctor and DH is scared too... he has seen too many heart attacks.
I will let you know when I have news, more than likely he will put me back on Xanax

Bless all my sisters...
Unread 10-26-2006, 10:36 AM

Please keep us posted on what you find out. I too had an elevated heart rate right after surgery. They even did a CT to rule out a pulmonary embolism. (scared me so bad) No clots but finally agreed with me and the Resp. Therapist that it was the Albuterol Breathing treatments they were giving me every 4 hours. Once those stopped my heart rate went back to normal. And once I was off the IV my blood sugars were normal. They weren't overly high between 120-140 but still they gave me insulin. I spoke with a nurse friend yesterday and she was telling me it is now protocol to check sugars on all post-op patients as surgery tends to elevate sugars and the body heals better when they are normal. My hubby's grandpa wasn't a diabetic but each time he had an IV for anything his sugars would be over 300 until they removed the IV. Our bodies handle things so differently. But the heart is nothing to ignore neither is SOB.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register