This may be a dumb question, but..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This may be a dumb question, but..... This may be a dumb question, but.....

Unread 01-03-2002, 05:09 PM
This may be a dumb question, but.....

.... where did most of you have your I.V. put in? I mean, lol, what part of your body? I have had 3 surgeries already(2 c-secs, one with a tubal and a lap. DnC +tissue removal), so you would think I wouldn't be nervous about the needles, but I am...*sigh* I think it might be because with this last operation(DnC,tissue removal)my vein on the inside of my right wrist kept collapsing. The nurse tried 4 times to get that sucker in there, but nope. It hurt like the dickens, too. They ended up putting it in the vein on the inside of my arm/elbow(where they normally take blood)and that didn't really hurt, but it sure felt wierd. I was terrified to move my arm or God forbid, bend it... I guess I'm also wondering if I have to have the I.V. put in this vein again, will it be safe? One hour with it that way is one thing, but 2 or 3 days?!?! Ack! I just can't picture trying to potty or shower with it in that spot... Any suggestions? Is there anything they can give me(or I can ask for)to make it not hurt, or better yet not feel the needle going in, so I can ask them to put it in my hand or something.... Ewwwww I feel faint just thinking about this! It's the worst part of all my surgeries.. I can handle the rest. I do really hate the catheter, too. Although my doctor says it will be put in while I'm asleep. Thank the Lord! hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 05:18 PM

Hi Julie,
There are no dumb questions!! Ask anything you like, and we will all be here to support you! This is a really good question as there are different places they do put the IV.
Mine for the morphine I had for pain for the first 24 hours was in my left arm, in the upper part right below my vaccination mark. It was a very small fine needle, and it didn't bother me at all. It was already in place by the time I woke up, and it didn't hurt coming out the next day at all either.

I have had many IV's in my hands in the past year, and I have to say I was blessed with good raised veins, and never had any problems, but I do understand and have seen the hardship some go through. I think sometimes the nurses feel worse than the patient when they have problems getting them started.

Let the hospital know of your concerns the morning of your surgery or at your pre-op and they will take that all into consideration for you.
I did just think of one thing Julie. I know that before they would do the IV's in my hand, they would get me to soak my hands in warm water for 5 minutes or so. It helps with the blood flow and its much easier that way to get it going.

The catheter is really a God send...I didnt' even feel it there, and it really is a blessing to save you from having to get up often that first day.
Best of luck to you, and big hugs!!
Maria
Unread 01-03-2002, 05:19 PM

Ick...IVs are so disturbing, aren't they? The thought can give me the heebyjeebies (sp?).

For this surgery, my IV went into the back of my left hand. It sounds gross, but once the tape was secure, I never felt it at all, and it didn't interfere with my arm movements in any way. When you think about it, the back of your hand doesn't really move, and it's a nice big (ick) vein.

Maybe try it there? Also, once you are no longer getting fluids or meds through it, REQUEST that they remove the lock. (that's the hook up before they attach anything to it.) They like to keep in there "in case" you need meds through it later, but I made them take mine out once the fluids were done with. They won't volunteer, but definitely ask. No reason to have it there making you uncomfortable if they're not using it.

Good luck!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 05:23 PM

Actually Julie, there is something that can numb the location that they're going to put the IV...my son had it once. Can't remember what it was called but it was a cream type substance that he had to leave on for about 15 minutes before they stuck the iv in. You might ask your pre-op nurse about that.

My iv was put in the top of my hand...and taped carefully. When I went for walks in the hall...my little iv bag and pole rolled right along side me. I was glad to have it removed..but couldn't really feel it since my morphine pump was controlling all pain.

I know what you mean about veins...I'm a hard stick...and sometimes it takes a couple of times to find a vein...OWEEEE.
Unread 01-03-2002, 05:56 PM
I.V

Thank you all! You have given me some great suggestions and lots of reassurance! I think I will be asking them to put it in my hand, like you ladies had, and I will bring this up at my pre/op. I'll also ask my doctor what that cream is called for numbing. That sounds like a Godsend... I have little veins in my hands, so this cream would really come in handy... lol Thanks again, so very much ladies! You girls are the best!!

Unread 01-03-2002, 06:26 PM

When I had my surgery they put the IV in the back of my hand.They did give me a little shot of something to numb the area and that did help.All went fine with that till it sliped and my hand blew up like a balloon.They then removed it and the nurse had someone come and give me a new one that just does IV starts.They were good and very gentel.You might want to see if your hospital also does that if you need one outside of the oproom.

Good Luck and remember the wait is the worst of all..
Unread 01-03-2002, 07:38 PM

The other thing to be aware of is that they use a needle to GET the IV into the arm, but then I think the tube they leave in there is really plastic. You're not going to break it if you bend your arm. You might kink it a little, which can stop the fluids from getting in and makes that annoying little alarm on the IV stand go off. But if you have visions of breaking it, I don' t think that can happen.

Do be sure to tell the nurse in preop about any concerns you have about IV, which veins experience has told you they shouldn't bother with, etcetera. They deal with nervous people and small-veined people every day and should be able to make you reasonably comfortable. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 01-03-2002, 07:59 PM
IV

Hi,
They can also put a spare in while you are still in surgery. They put a back-up in while I was under. I can't stand needles either. The one spot that worked best for me, was just below the wrist on the outside of my arm. If they tape it down the way they are suppose to it won't bend. It really is a plastic peice.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 01-03-2002, 08:06 PM

PS Julie - They also have a little butterfly needle thingy (think that's what it's called) they can use to start iv's on small veined people. They work well too.

Start making your list of questions to ask at preop
Unread 01-03-2002, 08:12 PM

Hi
I asked them to put the IV in my left arm as I am right handed. It sure made things easier being able to freely use the hand I was used to. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register