New and op date for VH & Posterior repair 15/4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and op date for VH & Posterior repair 15/4 New and op date for VH & Posterior repair 15/4

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:33 AM
New and op date for VH & Posterior repair 15/4

Hi all, I'm new to this site and have been reading post op stories.
I'm 33 and UK based. I'm due for VH & posterior repair on 15th April.
I've 2 children (7 & nearly 4). I've had a vaginal wall prolapse since my 1st child was born and multiple prolapse since the very quick birth of my 2nd child weighing in at 8lb 9.
I first saw my gynaecologist 18mth ago after a discussion with a friend who is a practice nurse ( we are both nurses just in different areas), I went for Physio for 12 mths but my symptoms have worsened (cobstant dragging, aching, pain, nit able to urinate properly, having difficulty with bowels, loss of sensation) and my relationship is suffering.
Saw gynae again on 2nd march who suggested that surgery would prob be best option despite my age as she felt my symptoms would continue to worsen and if she tried peasantry I'd need the surgery anyway within 2 yr.
The posterior prolapse is the worst so she could repair this alone but again the womb would need doing within a few years. So as my hubby and I have decided no more children I have made the decision to go ahead with the surgery. I got a date quickly due to holidays and commitments over the summer.
I've got to admit I'm frightened, anxious, worried about recovery but hopeful things improve afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Re: New and op date for VH & Posterior repair 15/4

Well, at least you know you'll be doing something to make a positive change soon! I'm also doing hyst. for prolapses, and i have 3 kiddos (11,10,4). I'm not sure yet how to tell them, or when. But I know it's time to do this. Like you, I want to be mostly recovered before school is out for the summer. So I have been cramming in information for the last couple of weeks trying to decide my fate on the spot. I still won't get a confirmed surgery date until next week, but I know it will be in the 1st week or two of april. I think it helps to know that things will NOT improve without intervention. My doc had me do Physical thereapy to strengthen pelvic floor for 5 weeks, and tried a pessary. The pessary - NO good for me. So uncomfortable b/c of tilted/retroflexed uterus, and just not practical for my lifestyle (sexually active and married). And the Phys. therapy has helped with SUI, but it will never be able to make my uterus or bladder lift up into their original positions. I've decided not to "just live with it". I'm nervous but it's time to get this thing done.
So...here we go, right? I expect that rollercoaster of emotions to continue until we're recovered (or as one Hyster sIster said, "tossed salad" of emotions). Hoping our families will be ready to get on board and take care of mom for a bit.
Hey, if you haven't been doing PT, i highly reccomend it! Instead of "rehab" they're calling it "pre-hab" for me now that I am pre-op. Healing is said to be much faster if the muscles are already toned. I'll continue going back in for pt around 4-6 wks. when doctor approves. Blessings to you!
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Pt??
I went to Physio for 12 mth and am still doing my exercises but prolapses are too low for the pelvic floor to help lift them up. I do feel better now the decision is made and I'm not just living with it....I'm too young! I want my life and my intimacy with hubby back. We decided pessary wasn't going to work for me so surgery was the option. It's just come round so quickly as they're squeezing me in so I'm sorted for all the stuff we have planned.
Wishing you the very best of luck with your surgery. Ill explain to the kids that I'm going to hospital for a few days because I've got a poorly tummy and then ill come home to rest. I work in hospital so they know its somewhere to make people better.
I'm hoping I feel up to them visiting me the day after surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM

LSH- (I have the same initials!) I had a total hysterectomy done 3 years ago @ age 49. I had polyps, cysts and nodules growing in me and since my mom had died at age 49 of Ovarian Cancer, I told the dr. to just take it ALL out! At the same time, I had a mesh sling inserted to lift my bladder up and some rectal repairwork done as well. Three procedures in one operation! I have to tell you this was the BEST decision I ever made! You can imagine the worry and fear I had. I did not take any HRT afterwards because I had already been in menopause so was used to it. I felt so much relief not having to worry about getting Ovarian Cancer and it's great not having my period!!

Now, unfortunately, I have another prolapse which I believe is rectal where I can feel the outer wall thru my vagina! It's quite uncomfortable so I'm consulting with a colo-rectal surgeon this Friday. I also have rhoids or polyps, externally, with blood, so I can't put it off any longer. This will be my 4th vaginal/rectal surgery since my rough childbirth 21 years ago (8'10" baby; 4th degree tare, despite episiotomy). I was told by a female urogyno that if you can avoid surgery, do so because after each surgery the body forms scar tissue and things just don't seem to work right. But the choice is personal. I've been living with my symptoms for a few years now but they've gotten worse so I'm expecting the dr. to tell me I need another surgery. Getting old sucks. But it doesn't have to ruin your sex drive. And once you're "fixed," you can put it behind you (no pun intended) and get on with your life. And take advantage of having people care for you while you relax for 6 weeks! (or less, if you're having the robotic surgery!) Best wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register