Endometrial Ablation???-Comments Please! | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Ablation???-Comments Please! Endometrial Ablation???-Comments Please!

Unread 08-25-2001, 08:43 AM
Endometrial Ablation???-Comments Please!

Hello Ladies,
As of yesterday, I was pretty darn determined that I would go w/ the hysterectomy w/in the next couple of months. Today, now Im trying to gather information about Endometrial Ablation. I read a post yesterday, where a women had this done and had relief for 2 years??? HMMMM?? Could this be for me? I just started taking Pilates classes, and enjoy them so much. I start taking a ballet class in a couple of weeks too! Im excited about dancing again, and if I have the hyst, I will be back to square one again! My questions are....Are there major side affects to this? Is this done in the hospital and how long of a recovery for it? If anyone has any links could you please let me know! I received some wonderful posts from some women, most of them said that the hyst would be a good idea, and others said to check out all my options first! Any help would be appreciated. If I could get a couple years of relief, I would be really happy! Of course, wouldn't we all! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2001, 10:33 AM
Depends on your pain level and diagnosis

Hi Mary,
Well I have looked up Thermachoice the new type of treatment. This is a minimally invasive option which spares the patient's anatomy, allowing acceptable results and rapid recovery. You may want to do a search on it. I did find this link.
http://www.centerforendo.com/news/ad...s/ablation.htm

Depending on your pain level though the article states that Failures of the procedure have been due to adenomyosis (see Dr. Albee’s article on adenomyosis). Also, patients with significant pain should be counseled against ablation.
Unread 08-25-2001, 10:14 PM

Dear Mary,

This is major surgery, and you owe it to yourself to check out all the options before making a decision. Use www.aj.com or www.google.com to find more info about ablation. Get 2 or 3 medical opinions.

Get smart about your symptoms & your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2001, 09:24 AM

Hi Mary,

I'm the one who posted about getting 2 years of relief from my ablation. I couldn't have a repeat ablation after problems resurfaced, because fibroids had appeared, and that means an ablation can't be done. Some women are able to have repeat ablations, if necessary.

I was very comfortable during the procedure. The recovery time after the ablation was just a couple of days. As far as I know, there are no side effects, or none that I experienced. I was so happy to get relief from uncontrollable bleeding that I was shouting from the rooftops! Even though I only got the two years of relief, other women do get permanent relief from the procedure. For me, it was well worth trying to know that I had done everything I could to avoid a hysterectomy.

I agree that you should fully research this option and avoid major surgery if it is possible.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 08-28-2001, 05:40 AM
Linda's right...

The goal is to postpone hysterectomy as long as possible. The older you are the less it supposedly impacts your life when you go thru sudden menopause (with removal of ovaries) and hysterectomy even without the BSO is still radical surgery. Do what's right for you. If postponing a hyst is what you want, I say go for it! I did everything possible to relieve endometriosis before having a hyst. I'm glad I did.
Unread 08-28-2001, 08:30 AM

I really wanted to post pone it, and the ablation really seemed like the way to go for me, BUT one thing I am dead set against is LUPRON! To the best of my knowlege, I think you need to do Lupron for some time before the ablation. So, I guess Im closer to the Hysterectomy than I thought!!!! Thanks for the reply! Take Care!
Unread 08-28-2001, 10:16 AM
Hmmm...

You might consider a second opinion. I think the lupron is optional with ablation depending on your condition.
Unread 08-28-2001, 03:10 PM

Hi I got an endometral ablation in May 2001, but alas it didn't work and I go for my pre-op appt 9/12/01. I don't regret trying it though, I did a lot of research and it does help the majority of women. For me I just had to try it first, then if I had to get the hysterectomy at least I knew that I tried other things first. Its a very personal decision and you have to chose what is right for you. I still hate it that it didn't work for me, but I don't regret it.
Unread 09-05-2001, 12:23 AM

Hi there. I had very positive results from an endometrial ablation I had some 7 years ago. It reduced my periods from unmanageable to something like 'normal' for about 5 years. It was also done when I had a small fibroid which complicated the procedure but still didn't prevent it. I feel it gave me much needed 'breathing space' before the need for a hyster nearer to menopause.

I'd certainly recommend you give it a go before going for the major, irreversible op.

Good luck!
Unread 09-06-2001, 07:53 AM

Mary,

I had an ablation done in January. The procedure itself is easy. I went back to work 2 days later. I had minimal pain or cramping. I did not have to take Lupron. The ablation seems to especially work for women in their 40's. Though I am now having a hysterctomy I am glad that I tried the ablation. A hysterctomy is a big surgery. My Dr would not do a hysterctomy until he tried the ablation first.

Take Care

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register