I think I'm going to Die! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I think I'm going to Die! I think I'm going to Die!

Unread 10-13-2000, 06:05 PM
I think I'm going to Die!

I sympathize with you about your asthma, I also have it,and am worried about the pain too. My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 1, and I am very nervous. I try to keep a positive attitude but sometimed that is hard. Glad you're here with the same concern. I am new to the site and finding alot of great info. I'll be rooting for you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2000, 07:03 PM

Sonyia,

I can totally relate to your fears. My TAH is scheduled 11/29. For the most part, I am trying to remain optimistic, but those nagging fears do creep up. I keep reminding myself that I wouldn't even be having the hyst if I wasn't ALREADY putting up with pain. I do know that after having 3 cesarean sections, that as women, we are suprisingly resilient. I know the procedures are not the same, but they are similar. I felt the pain, but used the pain meds and kept reminding myself that "this too shall pass." And it did. You may actually suprise yourself. Sometimes I think our bad thoughts can be worse than reality. Go easy on yourself and think about the positive! That's what I am trying to do and it's helpful. I'll keep you in my prayers!
Unread 10-13-2000, 08:48 PM

Okay Sweetie-
I am not all that afraid of pain, but I am no superwoman either. I am 2 days post-op, home, and feeling well enough to sit at this computer and answer your post.
I had morphine pump for first 18 hours post op. They also gave me tegretol (is that the right spelling?) ontop of the morphine. I felt NO PAIN whatsoever from after my surgery Weds. until they had me get out of the bed yesterday. Then I had Percoset orally which I am still taking.
I went in with what turned out to be a horrendous sinus and throat infection. Although I am stuffy and when I blow my nose I have blood (can't get treated for my infections till Monday by my regular Dr.), I do not have pain.
I am uncomfortable. Lots of gas, swelly belly, and pressure in my abdomen. But I am not IN PAIN. I had a TAH by the way.
Tell your Dr. your fears at your pre-op exam. He/She will have meds onboard to keep you comfortable. I was anticipating alot of pain due to the nature of this surgery, and I have yet to feel it.
The two weeks before my surgery I was feeling all kinds of emotions and going through all sorts of fears. The worst part of this surgery is the waiting.
I was actually sick to my stomach on Weds. in the OR before they put me to sleep cuz I was anticipating what you are now. But I had no reason to have myself upset.
Other than being REALLY tired and a little sore (all over from the anesthesia, which was general anesthesia) I feel good.
Try not to worry too much, or you will run yourself down and end up going in with a cold like me.
Unread 10-14-2000, 12:03 AM
Pain control and anxiety

I had my surgery in June and was a wreck like you pre-op. Actually the pain prior to surgery was worse. I had severe cramping because of hyperplasia. The pain after surgery was helped immediately by medication. I did not have the pump. My doctor gave me two percocet every 4-6 hours in the hospital. Then, after I went home, I was on one every 4-6 hours for the first day or two and then tapered off. I starting using Motrin because the doctor told me the percocet could cause constipation and to try and use it sparingly.
I also have asthma and this may be the reason my doctor used percocet rather than the pump. He said it was better for me than the pump.
If you are concerned about your asthma, talk to your doctor. Also, the anesthesiologist will have this information and you will be in good hands. Don't worry. Look forward to not having to make that trip to the drug store for tampons or pads. The feeling is great. I now laugh inside when someone talks about having to get to the drug store for "personal products."
Take care and treat yourself to a bubble bath. It will be at least a few weeks or a month after surgery before you can do it again.
AND, YOUR POST-OP TIME SHOULD BE SPENT TAKING IT EASY. A lot of ladies feel "great" and then hit the wall (figure of speech). If you do too much, you will feel it later. I was off work for 7 weeks and got lazy. I watched TV and walked when I got tired of TV. You will need some exercise, but don't overdo it. The first few times you go out, make sure someone else is with you for support in case you feel weak. I have a great neighbor. She offered to go with me for walks around the apartment complex.
You will do fine. Now stop worrying and think about your future vacations without worrying about the drug store. LOL.
Unread 10-14-2000, 12:19 AM
Don't worry!

I am 3 weeks post-op from a vaginal hys & bladder repair. I was AMAZED how painless the whole thing was! I too was scared stiff of being in unbearable pain - I think I was remembering my two very difficult labors - but I never had anything bothersome. When I awoke from general anesthesia, I had two shots of morphine 4 hours apart-that is IT. Not even a Tylenol since! I was in the hospital for 3 days and the only discomfort was turning in bed, since I had a Foley catheter the whole time, or slight gas pain when walking. Please don't worry, I know you'll do great.

This board was my salvation. The girls here really LISTEN and understand all your fears and concerns. You can literally ask them anything!

Take care and good luck to you.

Grace
TVH and bladder repair 9/20/00 for fibroids

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register