tvh 3 year old ds | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tvh 3 year old ds tvh 3 year old ds

Unread 07-15-2004, 10:46 AM
tvh 3 year old ds

can anyone give me any hints as to how long they think that i will need someone with me after a tvh as i have a 3year ds who is very active dh has about 10 days off work
any suggestions about lifting him( or not as he is heavy) but is it ok to bend down and cuddle him who let him sit on my lap

any help will be great

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 11:23 AM
tvh 3 year old ds

I haven't had my surgery yet But my pre-op was yesterday the doctor said to lift nothing over 10 pounds about 1 grocery bag was the limit...However he did say that I would have to judge my bending and sitting levels but both were fine to do ..If I felt comfortable doing it .., It was ok to do....and everyone is different but I bet snuggling the little darling would be just fine as long as he wasn't bouncing on you..

Probally not much help here but I'm sure other ladies will be along shortly..

Take care
Unread 07-15-2004, 11:27 AM
tvh 3 year old ds

I know the feeling. I have a 3 year old little girl. She will be 4 two weeks after my surgery. I don't think we can pick them up. My Doc said no lifting for two weeks over 2 lbs. Then I can go up to 10 pounds for 4 weeks... So I guess if he can gently climb into your lap that would be ok..... Hope that helps and good luck!!!

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 11:38 AM
tvh 3 year old ds

Had my TVH 2 1/2 weeks ago and my dh stayed home for the first 10 day's, too. That was great! I have a 4 yr. old dd who is fairly active. We bought the BIG Costco pool ahead of time and had it set up for the kids (10,9,4). It has been the biggest blessing! Maybe something smaller for your ds with some fun pool toys from Wallmart and it should help keep him entertained for awhile. Things I made accessable for my 4 yr. old.: playdough, crayons, child safe sicorrs (sp?), plain paper, computer games, movies and books. And let the mess go! If you get up to make PB&J sandwich for him make 3 of them and cut them in quarters and put them in the fridge where he can get to them. Save you from constantly getting snacks for him. Other snacks at hand, too will help. Pretzles, popcorn, raisins, jello and pudding. Juice pouches that he can bring to you to put the straw in. Just some ideas. Maybe set up some play dates for him to go to a friends house 1 or 2 x a week. Will help. Just some ideas.

One of the best things you can do for yourself is stay on top of the pain. Take your meds religiously weather you feel you need them or not. I got behind my pain and it took me 2 days to get past it. It was awful. Drink, drink, drink and rest, rest, rest. Get movies in ahead of time for you and something to read. My recovery wasn't as bad as I had imagined. But it looks like it will take the full 6-8 weeks.

Just my 2cents.

Blessings to you,

Wildflowers
Unread 07-15-2004, 12:11 PM
tvh 3 year old ds

Hi

No lifting your 4yr old! Bending to cuddle, etc. is fine as long as you're comfortable doing it. Your body will tell you!

He could sit with you on the sofa, bed, etc., or even climb on your lap for cuddle, etc., but no lifting for you!

I told my 5yr old that I had an operation and that my tummy hurt very much and that I had to be careful, but that if he wanted/needed a cuddle, etc. he could very carefully climb on my lab to get one.
He understood and was fine with that. He still is and every so often will ask me if things are better. Now that I can lift him a little (still, personally, don't want to try to much too soon), I tell him, that yes, things are better but that I still have to be very carefull. Again he is fine with that.

Explain as much as you can, to a 4 yr old, kids understand more then you think and it's better for them to know a little then to be guessing, getting it wrong, and getting upset.

I also had snacks, etc. ready for him at a level he could get to and that worked fine. Of course, it was a little easier for me as he was at school (9:00am till 3:00pm) all day, so just had to deal with a couple of hours in the PM, until DH came home. And also, the first couple of weeks he went home with a friend from school.

Like the other ladies said - have as much ready for him (them) as you can, so they can get to things himself(themselves).

Good luck!

Loekie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register