Surgery tomorrow -- feeling bad | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow -- feeling bad Surgery tomorrow -- feeling bad

Unread 07-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Surgery tomorrow -- feeling bad

Surgery is tomorrow. I'm not feeling very well. Terrible headache. Exhausted. It was a busy week -- in a good way. Good friends were staying with us -- spent late hours up talking. Found out I got a new position at the college where I work. But now I feel lousy.

Oh geez...the magnesium citrate just kicked in. I was beginning to wonder what the point was -- I haven't eaten anything.

I guess the headache is the result of allergies/not eating.

Arrgghhh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Re: Surgery tomorrow -- feeling bad

I will be praying for you tomorrow!!!! Best wishes that everything goes well!!!
Unread 07-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your headache - my guess is it is from not eating and stress.

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts your way for tomorrow's surgery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM

Hang in there, it's tough to visit with everyone before and fill everyone in as you can.....

Just think this time tomorrow you'll be in a pain free glaze from the magic button! Best of luck at the castle!
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Best of luck tomorrow!
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks.

I had to stay an extra day because I was just in too much pain. I felt like I had been in labor for 36 hours. And I am now anemic. And my blood pressure was something like 80/40 during the first 24 hours.

All I can say is Wow.

A lot of my pain was digestive -- just couldn't get comfortable, hurt to move. But that has improved. I still don't want to eat much, but the digestive track has woken up now and I am definitely feeling better.

I went home with the catheter, but that's ok....will revisit that on Wed.

One good thing -- went into surgery with that bad headache. After surgery -- gone. I didn't cough either. Curious. I wonder if it is all the drugs they gave me or if I'm allergic to something that is not at the hospital.

Jeanne
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM

Now rest and heal!!! Your body has been through a lot!!! Give yourself the time it needs. I will be praying for a unadventful recovery!!!
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Welcome to the Post-Op side Jeanne. Glad to hear you made it and delighted you didn't cough! That would have hurt so much!!
I too think that lots of my post-op pain was to do with the gut. I also had very little appetite for weeks after and lost 3 kg on small serves of the vegetable soup I made and froze in catering quantities before surgery. Hope the cough doesn't come back now you are home and that you have a really boring, uneventful recovery, reading all those books, watching movies, etc.
Judy
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks.

I got the catheter out yesterday. In the voiding trial, 250 (whatever measurement) went in, 250 came out, about half an hour later. It's kind of a mixed blessing I guess. It's good to be liberated, but now all I can think about is peeing and having BMs. Pathetic, but I know you both get it.

I find myself really anxious about peeing -- it takes so long and so much effort. I stay in the bathroom for probably 20 min waiting for things to happen. Thankfully, thus far, something eventually happens, but the trickle is very slow, and even when done, I don't feel comfortable. I can't ever tell if I"ve really emptied my bladder or not. An hour and a half later, I start all over again.

This will get better, yes???

Jeanne
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:27 PM

This WILL get better. The next few weeks are all about letting the bladder and bowel settle down, so you are right on track if that is all you are thinking about. I took quite a bit longer to work that out and even thought I was spending productive time on editing a video for a while.
Once my bladder started to work, the trickle was slow and all over the place. I imagined it as a wave at the high point of the tide breaking onto a grassy cliff top. The water soaks into the grass, through the layer of sand below and into porous weathered rock. It eventually finds gaps between rocks, fissures within rocks, cracks made by tree roots and follows them down. Finally, many separate trickles emerge at the base of the cliff.
Peeing is almost normal now. I can feel when it is full, especially when it is very full as in first thing in the morning and I only occasionally feel that it isn't empty. When I go to the toilet, the stream starts quite promptly. The end of it is still a bit messy - there might be several apparent ends to the stream or if I change my position, suddenly more will come out.
Where else could I say this and who else would be interested?
Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register