TAH Any direct care nurses out there who have returned to work? How are you doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any direct care nurses out there who have returned to work?  How are you doing? Any direct care nurses out there who have returned to work? How are you doing?

Unread 01-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Any direct care nurses out there who have returned to work? How are you doing?

Hi gals I am an RN in a busy NICU. You know the drill....bending, squatting, pushing, pulling, lifting, running to codes, giving CPR. dealing with life's greatest joy and heart wrenching sadness. For those sweet caregivers out there who have returned to the bedside to give care again, is six weeks off enough? Are you able to handle the pace? Are you in pain? Have you had any complications that you think may be related to surgery and going back to work and doing to much? Bless your hands and hearts and hope you are all well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Re: Any direct care nurses out there who have returned to work? How are you doing?

I understand the demands of nursing. I work in a small hospital lab, but since we are so small, we all wear many hats. Couldn't tell you how many times I've been in on codes, bagged a patient in the ER till my forearms felt like Popeye...lol. I am just three weeks post op and planning to return to my 12 hour shifts next week. My coworkers understand that I am not going to be lifting anything...another great advantage to small places, everyone picks up where someone else can't. But you know that just about anywhere not everyone is sympathetic. The biggest and best advice I have gotten and am trying to stick to is...listen to your body. It tells you when you are overdoing. It's hard to hold yourself back, especially when someone else (like a critical patient) needs you, but you have to listen. I know well the adrenaline rush you get in the heat of a critical situation and how you do the wipe your brow and come down after. It will be hard to listen to the signs your body is giving you in an intense situation like that, but you can do it!! I wish you the best of luck returning to work and thank you for what you do. I LOVE my nurses and our whole health care team....don't even get me started on the way health care regulations are going...lol. But I do know from the inside how hard everyone really works and what it means to work in the field.
Unread 01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Re: Any direct care nurses out there who have returned to work? How are you doing?

I work in a minor injury unit in the UK and I am very hands on from lifting to suturing, plastering, wound care etc. I have been advised to have 3 months off following my TAH as did colleagues previously. I am now 7 weeks post op and while I could possibly do some of my job I am nowhere near ready to return to a full on busy shift! Neither physically nor mentally, I am still so tired and unable to concentrate for long periods. Besides I have not even driven yet! I do have a rather large wound though, bigger than normal due to size of fibroids and widespread endometriosis with adhesions. But there is no right or wrong, we are all different, listen to your body and you will know when you are ready to return. Good luck and keep up the good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Yesterday was my first day back, I work in a busy clinic, 12 hours on my feet. Belly felt sore and heavy at the end of the day, but overall it went well. And I slept like a baby last night! Working in a hospital I think is certainly more taxing on your body, not sure I would be wanting to go back to my ICU days right now, too much physical labor involved. Good luck to all my fellow nurses, take care of yourselves.
Unread 01-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetansour View Post
I understand the demands of nursing. I work in a small hospital lab, but since we are so small, we all wear many hats. Couldn't tell you how many times I've been in on codes, bagged a patient in the ER till my forearms felt like Popeye...lol. I am just three weeks post op and planning to return to my 12 hour shifts next week. My coworkers understand that I am not going to be lifting anything...another great advantage to small places, everyone picks up where someone else can't. But you know that just about anywhere not everyone is sympathetic. The biggest and best advice I have gotten and am trying to stick to is...listen to your body. It tells you when you are overdoing. It's hard to hold yourself back, especially when someone else (like a critical patient) needs you, but you have to listen. I know well the adrenaline rush you get in the heat of a critical situation and how you do the wipe your brow and come down after. It will be hard to listen to the signs your body is giving you in an intense situation like that, but you can do it!! I wish you the best of luck returning to work and thank you for what you do. I LOVE my nurses and our whole health care team....don't even get me started on the way health care regulations are going...lol. But I do know from the inside how hard everyone really works and what it means to work in the field.
Wow, you are much braver than I am, going back 4 weeks to 12 hour shifts after TAH. I will be off 6 weeks when I go back and am debating cutting my hours back when I do. I work with a great group and we help each other all the time. I think if I can't lift or have other troubles I will stay off for awhile. I work at a large hospital so I can be replaced as long as they know I need to be out. No sense In going back too soon and doing harm to myself. I guess my doc and will be having an honest discussion regarding my duties and who is taking responsibility if something's happens because I went back to soon. Good luck to you next week!
Unread 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamas View Post
I work in a minor injury unit in the UK and I am very hands on from lifting to suturing, plastering, wound care etc. I have been advised to have 3 months off following my TAH as did colleagues previously. I am now 7 weeks post op and while I could possibly do some of my job I am nowhere near ready to return to a full on busy shift! Neither physically nor mentally, I am still so tired and unable to concentrate for long periods. Besides I have not even driven yet! I do have a rather large wound though, bigger than normal due to size of fibroids and widespread endometriosis with adhesions. But there is no right or wrong, we are all different, listen to your body and you will know when you are ready to return. Good luck and keep up the good work.
Is feel like I could handle parts but not all of my job too. Or, all of it for short periods but not 12 hour shifts. I just started driving last week. I have 2 weeks to go and will see how I feel. Good luck on your recovery!
Unread 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM

I work in a nursing home and only work 8 hour shifts. Just went back on Tuesday (not quite 7 weeks off) and worked 3 days in a row. Everyone has been helpful so I haven't had a "normal" shift yet, but I'm sore and exhausted. I have the weekend off to recover. I'm happy to be back, was going a little stir crazy! Glad my coworkers are there to pick up the slack and understand I'm still recovering. Like my dr said, you must listen to your body! Good luck! Make sure you take breaks!
Unread 01-04-2014, 01:57 AM

I'm in nursing school and my semester starts Thursday...I'll only be 3 weeks post-op!! I'm not sure if I can handle clinicals at 5 weeks post -op! Yikes!!
Unread 01-04-2014, 03:46 AM

I can't imagine work ... Pushing 300 lb stretchers? I can't even have a BM without pain ...
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Hi ladies.. Now I'm starting to get a bit concerned reading these entries. I am a community nurse, drive frm pt to pt and provide care in their homes. Not personal care, but drsg changes,i v's ,catheter care, etc. and am planning on returning at six weeks post op. I am three weeks post op tmrw, and have only been out once. Just so fatigued but weakness which was insane earlier is slowly improving. Any nurses out there doing something similar and am I right in thinking I can return to the trenches full time in three weeks?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register