Am I making the right decision?? HELP - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I making the right decision?? HELP Am I making the right decision?? HELP

Unread 11-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Am I making the right decision?? HELP

I think it is completely normal to have second thoughts going into this. This is a very large decision for us to make. It sounds like you are doing all of your research and have talked with different doctors to make sure that this is the correct path. The main thing is to make sure that you are comfortable with your decision. Best of luck to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Thanks Jessie, I see you are not scheduled until 12/4. How easy was it for you to make this decision? Thanks Marcie
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:49 AM

Marcie
I have been stuggling with this for a long time. I have had two laps trying to clean endo, treatment on bcp and lurpon. I am now excited to live a life pain free. I am very nervous about the amount of pain for recovery but just keep thinking of a life with no more bleeding and pain. I had my appt on Nov 12 and doc and I both said it was just time to go for it. Dec 4 was best for dh and for work. So here I am. Plus I will be off Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Unread 11-21-2007, 08:42 AM

Tispiggliot - I know it feels like you are going crazy with indecision but it's sounds like your surgery is warranted. You said you "only have pain", but that is a good reason to consider it. I had less issues than you did and do not regret my surgery even though I was undecided up until the day of the surgery. I still have my ovaries and I think that keeping the ovaries would be the biggest decision. I agree with the last person that replied - talk to your family doctor about your apprehension.
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:34 AM

Marcie,

I too had a TVH and I was able to keep my ovaries. My recovery has been incredible. I suffered for about 10 years with EXTREMELY HEAVY periods. Cramping started within maybe the last 6 months or so. My sister had a hysterectomy 3 years ago (at age 36) and kept encouraging me to go in for my own. I felt that mine was more of a nuisance than anything. For 3 years I have been listening to her RAVE about the surgery. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Then I just got sick of the extremely heavy periods EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!! I also found (by way of coughing because of a cold) that I had a prolapsed uterus (basically it was starting to fall out). My doctor gave me several options. All ultimately ending with a hysterectomy in 10 to 15 years anyways. I'm 41 and figured I was far enough off from menopause. The hysterectomy seemed to be the best choice for me.

I found this site about one month before my surgery. The sisters here have been AWESOME! My first post was that I was "freaking out". Everyone told me that the waiting is the hardest part. I must say that I TOTALLY AGREE with them.

Ten days before my surgery, I starting FREAKING OUT again. Then I sat back and remembered what had brought me to the doctor's office in the first place. Unlike you, this was my very first surgery (excluding my tonsils when I was 5), and needless to say I WAS SO SCARED. The Anesthesiologist came in just before surgery and I told him that I was FREAKING OUT. He gave me something that knocked me out in less than a minute.
After my surgery was done, the doctor confirmed that I too had adenomyosis.

Basically what I'm saying, you deserve the best quality of life possible. You need to decide what that is. I know for me, I totally made the right choice.

Take care and know that the sisters on this site have been an AWESOME support to me. There's always someone there to talk to.

Good luck with everything!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register