LSH CT revealed a Normal Uterus after a 2010 Hysterectomy.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CT revealed a Normal Uterus after a 2010 Hysterectomy.. CT revealed a Normal Uterus after a 2010 Hysterectomy..

Unread 09-08-2012, 12:05 AM
CT revealed a Normal Uterus after a 2010 Hysterectomy..

My first mistake was a uterine ablation in April of 2010 that left me in tremendous pain and I had started bleeding again. So I changed Dr's and then I had a hysterectomy in July of 2010. He did it laprascopically and said that he took all of the uterus, left the ovaries and cervix as well, but he cauterized it. I healed well and the pain from the ablation went away and no more bleeding. I was good for about 6 weeks and then my stomach started hurting and I became nauseated did throw up, but it was the bloating that was so bad. My stomach would blow out so far that my clothes size would go up 3 sizes. When I did leave the house I took bigger clothes with me just in case. Two months after the hysterectomy I had my first appt with the Gastroenterologist. An endoscopy revealed 6 to 7 stomach ulcers with a stomach that he said, "looked like it had been scraped with a fork"!!! A colonoscopy wasn't significant for anything. I was treated with some meds and the ulcers healed, but the bloating and vomiting got worse. My stomach still hurt but still no period. I had a Hiata scan which was normal, and a Gastric emptying test which showed severe delayed gastric emptying and was diagnosed with Gastroparesis. I refused to take the reglan and tried doperdome with no success. I am not diabetic and have only taken opioids a handful of times. He said he felt that the Gastroparesis resulted from the hysterectomy. He also ordered a CT and the Dr read it out as having a kidney stone in the left kidney and a Cyst on my right ovary and recommended for me to have a pelvic ultrasound. I had the ultrasound and was told that it was normal. Over the next 3 months I gained 75 pounds and was admitted to the hospital and presented to the ER several times with Vomiting and stomach pain. This pattern of being sick went on and I isolated myself in my house. I started acupuncture in October of 2011 and I went 3 times a week for four months and got better. The bloating stopped and so did the pain and the throwing up. In February of 2012 I started hurting again and was diagnosed through another CT with a 7 mn Kidney Stone and a normal uterus. I actually went and got a copy of this report from the hospital and saw where he said the uterus was normal and kind of shook my head. I am an RN and I thought that the Radiologist had made a mistake. Over the last few months I have had a small amount of right sided pelvic pain... Nothing big when I compared it to all of the pain I had endured over the past two years. However, over the last two weeks my right lower pelvic has hurt and I have had pain on my right lower back. Excruciating pain that came and went like a kidney stone. It also began to feel like I was passing glass on my right pelvic region when I urinated. I have also been nauseated and have thrown up. Two days ago I presented to the Urgent Care and begged for a CT... I knew I had a kidney stone. I had the CT done this morning and it did show a stone in the left kidney but nothing on the right. A cyst was on the right ovary and once again, the Radiologist said there was a normal uterus. I had already warned the urgent care Dr that the last CT showed a normal uterus. So the Dr went and spoke to the radiologist and explained about the Hyst. Still said, normal uterus behind the bladder. I had a melt down on the phone. I have been through so much and I just don't know. Who would lie and say they removed my uterus?? I did have a tubal ligation in 2001 when I had a C-section. The only blood I have had since the Hyst was after I had kidney stone surgery last Feb... I have a friend in the radiology dept that pulled all three of my CT's and looked at them and made me copies of the actual film. She showed me the films and on the CT I had 2 months after the Hyst, there clearly is a uterus or something. I am in shock and really don't know what to do at this point. Is this a mass, or is it my uterus ??? Who do I turn to for help?? I feel so helpless and when I think about all I have been thru these past two years.... All of the stress I have had on myself, my husband and my kids.. My kids ask me all the time how I feel... That has really started making me feel bad because Mommy should be healthy.. I am getting my medical records together so so can go see a new Gynecologist... I found this site today and I so wish I would have found it before I had the ablation. I hope that someone on here can offer up some good advice to me.. The biggest lesson I have learned thru this is that you don't mess with mother nature!!! What about the Radiologists that have read out these CT's.. I only had to sign 50 forms stating I couldn't be pregnant because I had a hysterectomy... Shouldn't they have questioned the uterus, if in fact that is what it is?? Or are they excused like so many others and allowed to be complacent?? For those of you that may stumble across this in your reading and are thinking about getting a hysterectomy, I'm just saying that if it could happen to me, it could certainly happen to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Re: CT revealed a Normal Uterus after a 2010 Hysterectomy..

I'm so sorry for everything you've gone through. I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. I can give you some info re: the radiologist. I used to be a CT technologist at a few different hospitals. The radiologists never see the paperwork you sign, unless there is something grossly wrong, like they see a fetus on the scan. Then all hell breaks lose. It's up to the tech to type in patient history when they send the images to the radiologist. Like - patient complains of right side pain for 3 days, history of kidney stones and hysterectomy. That's the only thing that might raise a flag to the radiologist, but not every CT department requires that info to be sent with the images. It varies with the radiologist's policy. Sometimes they don't ever have background - they just report what they see to the ordering MD.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:48 AM

I am so sorry you have been going through all of this I would definetly be asking questions If you or your insurance paid for a hysterectomy and it wasn't actually done that is fraud. Once you find out for sure what is showing up on the CT if it still is your uterus you need to report the doctor to the medical board in your state and find an attorney. If an insurance company paid for it you should report it to them also they may hire an attorney on your behalf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2012, 10:17 AM

i would of thought the doctor would seen this in a scan before the hyst, but there is a possible of two uterus called didelphys uterues may want to check that out there are web sites about this. Dr. Oz had a women on his show one time who had this.
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:53 AM

I can't imagine going through all of this. I am sorry that you are still having pain. I would explain that you had a hyst and now they say you have a normal uterus. Are they sure this is a uterus and not something else? Not quite sure what it would be. I guess they need to check this out and figure this out.
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM

I am sorry for all you are going through. You are not the first woman we have had share that a "uterus" was seen on an imagining test following her hysterectomy. Without fail, the issue has always been that the woman had a supracervical/partial hysterectomy and what was seen was later determined to be the cervix. So right now, don't panic!

Because the cervix is the bottom of the uterus and there is no dotted lined telling the surgeon where to cut leave only the cervical portion of the uterus, each surgeon can leave a different amount of the uterus when attempting to leave only the cervical portion. Thus, on a scan later it can look like there seemingly is a uterus if the surgeon left a larger portion than a radiologist would expect. It is not that the surgeon did anything wrong or that your uterus was actually left.

Hopefully you and your doctors will soon figure out what is going on and how to help you feel your best! in there!

Unread 09-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Wow. I'm sorry you went through all of this. I've been reading the site for a few months, and while some of us have had complications (like me - cellulitis and a wound problem that required weeks of packing), yours is the about the first I've seen with your issue.
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Thank you for all of your support and kind words. I do have an appointment this Friday with a GYN & I have appt with a different GYN in Monday. I have gotten the actual CTs and have viewed them on my computer and you can definitely see something behind the bladder. If I had two uterus, the DR who did my c section should have seen it.. I will keep u informed of what I find out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register