Scheduled TLH 19 days to surgery and counting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

19 days to surgery and counting 19 days to surgery and counting

Unread 09-15-2012, 08:04 PM
19 days to surgery and counting

I just introduced myself in the new members forum but I figured I'd give a quick summary here, too.

TLH scheduled for October 4, losing cervix and uterus but keeping both ovaries. Single, no kids, live alone, have fantastically helpful friends, but I'm feeling anxious about recovery. I've also never spent the night in hospital before and am worried about being able to sleep, although I guess I'll be in the right place to ask for something to help with that.

To be honest, this has been a long time coming and now that it's nearly here, I can't wait to be done with it and get on with the rest of my life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Re: 19 days to surgery and counting

Hi lpazia to HysterSisters!

I am sorry you have to have a hysterectomy, but glad you found this site. There is a lot of information on this site - so explore around. And it is full of wonderful, supportive women.

All of your feelings are very normal. Sleeping in the hospital is not too bad. You are fairly drugged up at that point still, and the nurses are pretty good about not disturbing you unless they have to.

For me after surgery, since I was running a bit of a temperature and my white count had spiked, they were taking blood every two hours or so. But they would just slip in and take it out of the port in my IV tubing so it always went pretty quick. Also, since I did not get much sleep the night before, I was pretty tired.

Unread 09-16-2012, 06:30 AM

Hi, there and welcome! You are definitely in the right place. I wouldn't have made it through my recovery without these ladies.

I understand the anxiety. I had spent so many nights awake in pain that I was one raw nerve, but the iv meds will help lull you right to sleep. Plus, you're allowed to nap! Yippee!

And I couldn't agree with you more about getting on with the rest of your life. After coming to "the other side" (post-op), I'm feeling more like my old self every day. People look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I had more pain before surgery than any time afterwards, but it's true.

The best advice I can offer is to thoroughly communicate with your surgeon and gyn, if they aren't the same. Ask what to expect at different stages of your recovery and how best to contact them with any questions.

Keep in touch!
Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2012, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome! My gyn is my surgeon and she's been great about answering my questions -- we've spent a lot of time together over the past few years, if you know what I mean. I'm making a list of all the things I want to ask her at my pre-op next week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register