Hysterectomy scheduled 4/15, mass on uterine wall and weight loss, scared...everything moving fast | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy scheduled 4/15, mass on uterine wall and weight loss, scared...everything moving fast Hysterectomy scheduled 4/15, mass on uterine wall and weight loss, scared...everything moving fast

Unread 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Hysterectomy scheduled 4/15, mass on uterine wall and weight loss, scared...everything moving fast

I went in for my 3rd opinion because my insurance no longer allowed me to go to my 2nd opinion dr and well insurance has been stressful enough making me wait since my dr first did my laparoscopy in dec and advised hysterectomy due to 'unknown bump on fundus' Went in on this Mon to see new doc and hoped he would say I was fine, but after my 2 hrs of history he said he agreed with my reg gyn. Then after my exam he said he wanted more diagnostics and sent me immediately for CT, ultrasound and labs. Yesterday, nurse called and told me that the doc confirmed what the first dr had mentioned in surgical notes....abnormality in the uterine wall. Dr told me that he was hoping it was a benign mass but a small chance it is a sarcoma and that was also the concern of my main gyn. Due to my weight loss...14lbs since dec without trying and other symptoms my new doc said there is more pressing concern to do the hysterectomy. I got scheduled today and I am terrified. I don't know what to expect or what to do....advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Re: Surgery scheduled 4/15...scared...everything moving fast

Hi Roshka,

I am also scheduled for April 15th. For me, the hardest part is acceptance. I still do not want it, but I am preparing for it.

I've started organizing my space so that I am comfortable (as comfortable as I can be) when I return home. I am having a total abdominal hysterectomy with a vertical incision. Since my last two operations left vertical incisions, I have an idea of the pain levels and what to do and not do in terms of movement.

Buy large cotton underwear, pillows, soup, soft foods for the first week post-up, stool softeners, and gas-X.

Talk with your doctor about pain management post-op.

If you have a support system, ask for help now.

I had to learn the hard way to reach out since most of my friends cannot relate to what I am going through.

Most of all, visit this site often. I've know about this operation since Christmas, but I have been through lots of emotional ups and downs.

The women on this site understand what you are feeling and can help you process this surreal experience.

I wish you the best and will be thinking of you as our surgery date approaches.
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Re: Hysterectomy scheduled 4/15, mass on uterine wall and weight loss, scared...everything moving fast

Hi roshka to HysterSisters!

I am sorry you are dealing with so much. I know it is very scary having something unknown growing inside of you. Your mind just races, and you do not know what to do.

Is your surgeon an gyn onc? If not, can one be made available for you? They are very adept at doing the more complicated surgeries, and can check more if needed.

Recovery from this surgery can take a while - think weeks and not days. You will need to take time off work - how much depends on how quick you recover and what your job entails. But again, think weeks and not days. You will need help around the house with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc.

Since your time frame is short, focus on the important things for prepping your household for downtime.
-Get meals in the freezer so you can just pop those in the microwave.
-Get loose fitting clothes - I spent 12 weeks in sweat pants and old shorts.
-Prepare a recovery corner with blankets and pillows and have favorite DVDs on hand
-Have a small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs, sneezes, and pet visits.

Always know that you are not alone in this. We understand what you are going through, and are here to help and support you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Re: Hysterectomy scheduled 4/15, mass on uterine wall and weight loss, scared...everything moving fast

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, but it's definitely better than the worst alternative! You can do this, I promise. It will take a little while, but I bet you'll feel worlds better after, too!

Plan for 6-8 weeks recovery. I'm at 2 weeks now. Feeling much better, but definitely still recovering! Try to get as much done ahead of time as you can. Clean, prep some meals, arrange for someone to help you, especially the first two weeks. You have to be very careful what you do in that timeframe. Very little bending, reaching, carrying. But movement is good! Required, actually.

For purchases:
Stool softener
Gas reliever
Advil / ibuprofen
Pillows, lots (I nest with 6-7, lol)
Blankets for snuggling
Loose nighties
Robe
Loose cotton undies
Loose pants

My Bubba water glass thingy has been awesome, too. I bought it as a treat before surgery, and keep it filled with ice water so I stay nice and hydrated. They are big and have a lid, built in straw, and handle, and are easy to clean. No, I'm not a salesperson!! :P

Most of all? Try to stay calm. Walk or exercise to keep your mood elevated. Talk to your friends and family if you're scared, depressed, or just need a hug. Let people be there for you, if you can. And let us be there for you! This site is a huge help, and everyone here has been incredibly kind. We know what you're going through (some of it, anyway), and we'll help however we can! <3
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Oh! And Netflix or DVDs for the first week, books or video games later. I couldn't focus on crap for a week or two. Pain pills were a big part of that, I suspect.
Unread 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the help. I am so scared right now and feel so alone. Unfortunately, while I have been dealing with all of this and trying to figure out results, 2nd opinions, insurance and ultimately the fast decision after this 3rd dr's findings...I have been dealing with my husband just deciding to up and leave me in the middle of all this without any reason except he "needs time to himself". So I am super emotional too boot I do not know if my physician is an gyn oncologist but I know there are a few in his office. At this point, I am not even thinking about the "what if's". Just scared in general. I have my kids, they are 16 and 19 so both drive and both cook. I have already had friends and co-workers offering to come help and bring meals and yes I am most definitely accepting. As this is happening so fast now, I am trying to figure it all out and keep my emotions down, yet every time I go to see what I need or what to expect I just feel super sick and scared.
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:48 PM

roshka -

I am so sorry DH left so he could have "time to himself". That is terrible. I am reaching through my computer over the internet back through your computer and giving you a big HysterSister

Let your emotions flow, they are okay and very appropriate to what you are going though. Be very gentle with yourself. It is okay to be sad, angry, frightened, nervous, scared, and whatever else you are feeling.

And I understand the fast track surgery. I experienced that as well. It really makes your .

I am glad your kids are older and can help out during your recovery, and you have lovely co-workers and friends.

Always know that you are not alone. We are here for you, and are only a few mouse clicks away.

Unread 04-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Thank you so much marestail :'( I really needed to hear all of that right now. Today has been a really rough day and I keep finding myself in tears.
Unread 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Oh Roshka, that's horrible. I'll never understand the selfishness that possesses some people. Thankfully you seem to have good family and friends, and that's all we really need. You will come through this stronger and healthier than before. It will suck at times, but the results are worth it! Sending you so much love and hugs.
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Roska had a complete Hysterectomy large tumor, 2 Hernias, torn bladder, large fibroids I was so scared I had didnt even have a week to get ready. I had 0 information before my surgery. I knew nothing about this website until after surgery so u are very lucky to have foundit. Just listen to everyone we alk have through it. Just go in with positive attitude talk to the nurse s asj them questions cause u wont even have time to talk to the doctor. Just as god to please get u through this before u go in and u will be fine. Its the after to worry about when u go home do nothing, I mean it no matter how bored u are. I cleaned the 2nd day, I opened a window big mistake. I drove after a week DO NOT DO ON ANYTHING for at least 4 weeks but just lay there and u will be fine. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register