Failed Ablation - Repeat or TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Failed Ablation - Repeat or TAH? Failed Ablation - Repeat or TAH?

Unread 07-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Failed Ablation - Repeat or TAH?

Good morning everyone,

This past spring, I had a roller ball ablation and tubal ligation done. The ablation was done to help with heavy bleeding and anemia that I have been battling for almost 10 years. The surgery was supposed to last under 1 hour, but was 2.5 hours in length due to the time the Dr. took for the rollerball. Upon waking up in the recovery room, she told me that my uterine lining was excessively thick and she tried her best but wasn't confident that the ablation would be effective. Even if it did work and lighten the periods she thought that becuase I am only 35, I would need a repeat in time as the lining does sometimes grow back. At my 6 week follow up, I had had one heavy period and spotting every day. My Dr. told me that she is recommending either a repeat ablation with thinning of the lining before or a TAH. She was cautious to tell me that the ablation may not be successful and I may end up with a TAH in the end.

So, I am sitting here, with 3 weeks to go before I have to make a decision, having the worst period of my life with horrible cramping and excessive bleeding and the choice seems quite clear but bery scary.

I quite throughly enjoy my sex life, when I am not cramping, spotting or bleeding. I don't want to ability to enjoy an orgasm to change....nor do I want to become incontinent, not do I want to be a hormonal wreck....I just want a manageable period (or none at all) and good iron levels so that I can have some energy.

Decisions, decision, decisions.....

Thanks for reading and any advice that you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Re: Failed Ablation - Repeat or TAH?

Hi saucey:

Have you had a chance to get a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion? Here is a link to a website with info & message boards about ablation: http://www.endometrialablationdiscussion.com/

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register