had my pre-op today and... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

had my pre-op today and... had my pre-op today and...

Unread 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
had my pre-op today and...

Call me dumb but I didn't realize pre-op included being stuck with needles! Argh, i hate needles.
The basic appointment with the Dr. went well. I was happy to hear no bowel prep stuff, LOL.
Then he gave me papers and told me to check in at the hospital for pre-registration. I filled out tons of papers there and they handed me more papers and pointed the way to the lab.
I faint after I'm stuck but gals, you'd be proud. I used breathing techniques and got through it. I had to sit for 5 minutes afterwards but I didn't pass out.

Today I'm finishing getting the house ready, trying to make some more frozen meals, etc.

Op is Friday and I feel like I can't focus cause there's so much to think about.

My latest worry is the position I'll be in and having no control over what happens to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM

I think u will make it ok.(I Hope).JUST KIDDING! I also am very afraid of needles,and get very sick with geting my blood taken.When i had my preop and had to get blood drawn i got sick and the poor nurse had to rush me to the bathroom and put a wet cloth on my forehead and put me in front of the toilet,then when i was ok ,we went back to the lab and another nurse came in to see if the first nurse was ok from taking my blood and not having a nervous breakdown.lol yes i am that bad!!!!
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:59 PM

I am a military wife who lives in Japan at a very small base with no hospital. Anyway, I had to fly to a larger base for my surgery. My surgery was scheduled on a monday. I arrived on Thursday and had to show up at the hospital on Friday and Saturday for lab work. I was not a happy camper on saturday. The poor lab tech. Needless to say I am in week 5 after my surgery and feeling wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 09:06 PM

I have trouble with needles...not the pain, or the poke, just the sight of them makes me a bit crazy I just warn the one with the weapon beforehand, and they have me look the other way. NOT looking forward to my pre-op on the 17th, I just had one in February for my cone biopsy & elbow surgery, they said I'd have to do it again because of the time in between.
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:09 PM

to you as you make your final preparations for the castle. Just think -- soon you'll be on the road to recovery.

Enjoy the pampering of a new when you're home!
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:56 PM

I'm trying to feel like a pampered princess but with the scatterbrain thing going all I can think about is cleaning and having to take care of 4 kids when I get back! They try hard, they're good kids, but you know...
Unread 04-03-2008, 03:52 PM

Libertyadademy, ask your anesthesiologist about the position and your concerns about control. My anesthesiologist met with me just before the surgery as there was a cancellation and my surgery was moved up two weeks, thank goodness! He asked me many questions, but I think he was doing his best to be thorough. For example, I found out that in his opinion, my colonoscopies counted as "surgeries" - since I was anesthesized for them.

He preferred to put my arms in "sleds," which sounded like rain gutters, on either side of the operating table. I figured he was the expert and it would not make a difference to me since I would be out.

As far as the position goes, I have not had vertigo or any other side effects from the position. The anesthesiologist did ask if I have arthritis (I am 57), and I told him I do have it in my lower back. He said he would do his best to position me to minimize the effects on my arthritis, and I had no problems with my back after the surgery, either.

Please try to take care of yourself and not do too much when you return. I am the oldest of five and we survived just fine for a week on pb&j sandwiches as children when my mother was hospitalized.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register