Very frustrated with MD | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very frustrated with MD Very frustrated with MD

Unread 08-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Very frustrated with MD

I just need to vent and get some feedback, so please just bear with me. I am 9 days post-op and suffering really crazy mood swings. I was fortunate enough to have both of my ovaries, so you would think that this is not hormonal related, right? But it could be, right? I am so confused!

After 3 days of off and on crazy crying spells, I finally called my MD yesterday morning. I dont know if I bothered him, or what , but he was very unsympathetic. He told me that these symptoms were very unusual. What? How many of these operations has he done? He is not a young man, surely he has heard of this before.

He told me that I seemed like I was not emotionally prepared for this operation. Hmm.....I had been cramping and spotting for months, I made an appt. with him on a Thursday. The next Friday, I was in surgery because of a severe prolapsed uterus. Okay, it did need to be done....I felt it between my legs at times (yuk!)

My next thought, well, who was supposed to prepare me? Wouldn't that have been his job?? And it sounds like he would have said there are no side effects anyway.

He basicly told me that I must have had an underlying psychiatric disorder that pushed me into a depression after the surgery. What?? I am a 41 year old, very education medical professional (I am a Pharmacist). Don't you think I would have shown signs of an emotional problem before now?

He ended up calling in 10mg of Prozac for me. Gee...I took one yesterday anyway. I guess it can't hurt. But what am I to do? I am so angry right now.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Very frustrated with MD

I'm sorry your Dr is not sympathetic. My Dr is an older gentleman too. I have been told that after the surgery your ovaries can take awhile to kick back in(how long I don't know). It sounds like you may need to get your hormones checked and go on ERT until your ovaries kick in. You may need to tell your Dr what to do lol. Best of luck
Unread 08-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Very frustrated with MD

I think he is very unsimpathetic. I dont think it matters if its hormonal or psychiatric. You are entitled to have feelings and even anatheisia (rotten speller) can give mood swings. I am due to go in on 11 Sept and I am not fully prepared and I dont know if I had a year to prepare if it would help. I think you will get far more understanding here and do not agree with your Dr. I think any loss and how we handle that grief is personal and there is no "normal" its all individual and your feelings are yours and OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Very frustrated with MD

I think you need a different Doctor.
Unread 08-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Very frustrated with MD

Hey there! I can totally relate. I was very very "mood swingy" for I would say a good month after my hyster. I also kept my ovaries. I was to the point where I wanted to rip someone's head off - especially a doctor. I was having sleep problems and neither my GP or OB would prescribe anything for me! As time has gone by (I'm about 8 weeks post) I seem to have levelled off and feel like my old self again. I had even posted a few weeks back about wicked PMS I was having. From what I've learned, this is all normal. I would give that Prozac a try for a few months just to get you over this time period (although you're a pharmacists you should know - LOL .) Hang in there girl it will get better!!!
Unread 08-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Very frustrated with MD

Hey, sister...give yourself a break! You are only a week postop! I definitely have felt the same way as you and my husband is happy that 3 weeks post op I am doing much better with my mood swings! I feel very good and I'm thrilled I had this done. We all heal at a different rate and I've heard the mood swings can last for months BUT that doesn't mean they will for you!

Please feel free to PM me anytime if you'd like to talk some more!
Unread 08-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Very frustrated with MD

I experienced the same ups & downs after surgery & I kept ovaries, too. This is not unusual after this kind of surgery. The ovaries can go into a temporary shock. As far as your Dr., mail the prozac to him & tell him to take it, maybe it will make him more human! You should consider finding a new Gyn. They get paid for their services & then treat us like this! I left my Gyn. 10 days post op. I found a new Dr & what a difference. I went into surgery totally unprepared for what exactly was going to happen afterwards. When I would ?? different things he would say," oh you won't have to worry about that." Everything I have learned, I have gotten from this website. I thank God everyday for this site. Good luck to you & I hope you feel better.
Unread 08-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Very frustrated with MD

It looks as if you have two issues here: your very real mood swings and a clod for a doctor. I think being only one week out, the previous posts have a good wait it out approach. Give yourself a little time to adjust. On the other issue, your doctor, I would be frustrated enough to consider a different doctor. These older guys have seen so many patients with similar conditions that when someone presents with a unique set of symptoms they don't want to deal with it, they just want their nice little routine. The thing is, this isn't so unique. Do you suppose he's blown off all his patients who've gone through this?
Unread 08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Very frustrated with MD

Get a new doctor, take care and good luck.
Unread 08-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Very frustrated with MD

I agree, get a new doctor. I have also had many up's and downs with my surgery. I have also had problems with depression in the past. It seems like your doctor was giving you a simple soluation by giving you a pill and not sitting down with you to figure out what is really going on.
Best of luck in the future.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register