Rollar Coaster Ride Has Begun! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rollar Coaster Ride Has Begun! Rollar Coaster Ride Has Begun!

Unread 07-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Rollar Coaster Ride Has Begun!

Finally have my surgery date set - Monday, July 25. It will be done with the Davinci robot and they are taking everything - uterus, cervix (have had abnormal paps in the past and a leep procedure), as well as my ovaries (am in menopause - no more eggs, very little hormones produced anymore.

Am SO SO SO happy to have been a perfect Davinci candidate. I was first told I would have to have an abdominal hyster. but I questioned that and was referred to a dr. who actually trains others in Davinci. My OR will be a virual party ... my reg. gyne will be there, the Davinci Gyne will be there, a pathologist will be there (in case there may be any cancer ... no one has succeeded in getting any tissue samples from my uterus, even with a D&C attempt!, and a gyne/oncologist also trained in Davinci will be there just in case cancer is found - then she can take over. It just so happens that the entire OR is going to be women for my surgery - my doctor thought was pretty cool - it just worked out that way.

I was supposed to be getting married the day before (Sunday) - but changed everything to Sat. (2 days before the surgery) just so things would be a bit more calm. Fortunately it is a small wedding and the changes were easily made, even the minister was able to change her schedule to accommodate us! Like I said, everything seems to be falling in place nicely.

Now, I am trying to learn all I can about getting ready for the big day! Am reading as much as I can to help me prepare. I plan to order a body pillow and a wedge pillow - both of which I think I can certainly use even after my recovery. Any other ESSENTIALS?

I am a bit afraid of the anesthesia. The gas pains everyone talks about also sounds awful - I do not do pain well. I don't tolerate many of the traditional pain meds.

Other than that I think overall I will be very relieved once the surgery is over.

Thanks in advance for any help/support/thoughts/prayers! I appreciate it all.

Bonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Re: Rollar Coaster Ride Has Begun!

Congratulations on your impending marrage, and on your upcoming dance with DaVinci. It is the easiest way to go! Lucky you!

There are threads about post surgery gas, and many sisters have their favorite remedies. One I was told about was to take 5 deep breaths every hour. You need to do this anyway to get that nasty anesthetic out of your system. Some ladies swear by gas x. I didn't have those issues, even though my Abdominal BSO with repairs started out to be DaVinci. Too many adheisions and scar tissue for me.

There is usually a thread for any question you may have. The sisters are so willing to give you whatever information you need. This site is awesome. Just do a search for whatever question you need answered.

Best wishes for an uncomplicated procedure and recovery. Heal well.
Unread 07-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Hey BleuLady!!

Congrats on being able to get DaVinci'ed too!! I remember your earlier post and everything you had been thru. I'm so happy that you found the doctor(s) that were right for you!! Best wishes for a speedy recovery and good outcomes...and for the pending nuptuals!!

Good luck-
Di
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2011, 05:11 PM

Bleu - I'm 10 days post op davinci. You will be really pleased with this surgery. I kept waiting for the shoulder pain - and it never happened. I had plenty of other gas going on - that's for sure, but not in the shoulder area. The advice I was given by a good friend, CNP and hystersister was to move in recovery. Go from side to back to the other side if possible to break up the gas in the shoulders. I was just really lucky and didn't have it!

Congrats on the wedding and the DaVinci!
Unread 07-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Congrats on both your marriage and surgery! Sounds like there are wonderful plans for your surgery - best of luck to you!!!
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Good luck with your surgery and wedding!!

I am 4 days post op Davinci. My worst pain was immediately after surgery. I hadnt been given anything before I woke in recovery so I woke up with pressure pain everywhere below. It was quickly remedied though, and well managed from there out. I stayed on top of pain meds (tordol and lortab in hospital, lortab at home) every 4 hours for the first couple days. Yesterday I changed over to Aleve twice a day. I wouldnt even say Im having "pain" at this point...more like some pulling and soreness that reminds me to stop when I start doing too much. Like I over did it at the gym.

There really wasnt anything to the anesthesia. I was given a shot to relax me that totally me knocked me out, so I dont really remember much of anything beyond OR holding. I wasnt awake when they started anesthesia..... andI I didnt really have any of the side efffects that I dreaded I would when I woke up.

I have been full of gas. I came out of surgery lookin 9 months pregnant, I am down now to maybe 6 months pregnant...still quite bloated up and full of gas. Strangely enough as full as I am, I havent had any gas pain at all. I started taking 2 gasx about 2 hours after surgery and did so several times a day for 3 days. I also started requesting black coffee as soon as I was up -warm liquids seem to help. Ive eaten light, and tried to avoid anything gassy. I have continued to slowly but surely toot it out.
I got myself up a few hours after surgery, and got up out of bed every couple of hours. I didnt lay flat for 2 days. Kept myself inclined and rotated sides regularly and I never got gas in my shoulders.
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Wow getting married and a hysterectomy in the same week- YOU GO GIRL!! Had my TAH July 6th and doing great. I have a little gas but more swelly belly. As suggested, I got ducolax and gasx and it has helped. Be sure to drink lots of water and walk-walk-walk!
Congratulations!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register