how long does it take for bowels and peeing to settle back to normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long does it take for bowels and peeing to settle back to normal? how long does it take for bowels and peeing to settle back to normal?

Unread 04-28-2012, 11:52 AM
how long does it take for bowels and peeing to settle back to normal?

Hi April 12 Laproscopic hysterectomy, SBO, coplosususpension, colpopexy and posterior repair. Bowels and peeing still tricky. when should expect them to return to normal (ie pre-op -bowels fine, peeing fine but slight urgency)? Surgery went fine. Exhausted - hard to know how active I should be. Might need HRT even though 58 and had good menopause few years ago. Are phytoestrogens adequate - can I avoid HRT or is it impossible to take in enough estrogen? Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Re: how long does it take for bowels and peeing to settle back to normal?

I had surgeries similar to yours on March 28th and I can't say that I'm back to normal yet.

I'm going and all without problems, but it still doesn't feel "normal" to me and if this is my new normal then I'm definitely not used to it.

When I have to pee then I really have to pee. I can hold it and don't have any leakage, but the urge is so strong that I head to the potty right away. Same with the BMs. And the feelings I get when I have to go are completely in different places and feel completely different.

I am starting to get used to this new normal, but at 16 days like you are I definitely was NOT.
Unread 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM

While I only had a partial hysterectomy (uterus and cervix removed) and not those types of surgeries, I can tell you that those functions returned to normal in about a week and a half.

Hope it starts sorting itself out soon for you! Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2012, 01:38 PM

I didn't have your type of surgery, but mine took about 4 weeks.
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM

Day 12 was my first bowel movement. No issues with peeing. Still 4 weeks on Monday my bowels are still adjusting. I am on meds for boweel infection and have IBS so I may not be the best judge. Be patient. I took Colace - stool softeners or try senokot. I'll be on HRT for 10 years till I turn 52. Apparantely once closer to menopausal age I will stop. Hopefully you will not need it. check wth doc.
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Thanks girls - I guess we have to wait and see what the new "normal" is in a few weeks time. Sure hope it is better than this as I don't feel I can be far from home! X
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
I didn't have your type of surgery, but mine took about 4 weeks.
Total hysterectomy, uterus, cervix, both ovaries April 2.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM

The nurse on duty when I was discharged told me it would take about 6 weeks for the bowels to return to normal. I think I did better than that, but it takes a little while for them to get back on an even keel just from the bowel prep and pre-surgery fasting. Be patient. Drink lots of fluids. The same nurse told me to eat comfort foods and avoid gassy foods. This seemed to help. At first I stuck to comfort foods and my veggies were mostly well-cooked in soups or stews. Only gradually did I start eating salads or crunchy-cooked veggies, or gassy veggies such as broccoli.
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM

It's been a little over 5 weeks for me. Peeing hasn't really been an issue. Prior to surgery I was peeing ever hour and half because of all the fibroids pressing on my bladder so, really, it's been a nice relief. As far as BMs, though, that's a totally different story. I'm nowhere near "normal".
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:45 PM

It took a full six weeks before bowels and bladder felt anywhere near normal. then as each week passed after that things got more normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register