OK, Next questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK, Next questions OK, Next questions

Unread 08-01-2006, 04:15 AM
OK, Next questions

Ok, I have heard that insommia is a systom of menopause, is that true? If it is then I am ready for that. It is 5 am and I am wiped out but wide awake. I woke with this nightmare that they would make an insion in my belly like they do for a lapopscopy and go in with a laser scape, cut everything out and then use a hoover to suck everything out the bottom. Mind you I already have a good iminagation and that was the thought my husband put in my head before I went to bed becuase he thought it was funny. Am I loosing my mind also? Sorry, Rambling agian, I do that. Anyway. What questions should I be asking my doctor. I really cant think of any that pertain to the medical part. I just want everything to hurry up and get out so I wont hurt anymore. I have my pre op appt at 920 the morning of the surgery on the 8th and then I check into the hospital at 1230 with the surgery at 230. My questions that I have already have were how long would I be out of work and he said a week, as in I could go back to work (I am a manager at a restraunt). There is one person at hubbys work that had it done and it has been a month and she is STILL out. Others have said two weeks. My Mother in Law (who I love dearly with the upmost respect-hope that is not too sarcastic) Told me she has gone thru hell the last 15 years and said that I would become a bad mother becuase I would have to worry so much about getting my meds at the right level that I would not be able to think straight when It came to the kids. (Did I mention she was the wicked witch of the North of me) I am afriad that I am missing something important to ask the doc. What kinds of drugs are there for this (they are taking absoluty everything) is there any reccomdations? I am a reader so are there any books you would suggest other than the one I already ordered from this site? Am i going to be in the middle of walmart have someone run into me and burst into tears? Could it have the opposite effect and me not be emotional at all. Can someone come hold my hand for the surgery, lol. Did I mention that my hubby is not even going to be there because he is more worried about working. Now that I have written a small book I am going to go read more posts and try to not have a panic attack. Thanks so much for reading, those who have read this far lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2006, 04:45 AM
OK, Next questions

Whew! First take a big breath. I hope it helps that there isn't anyone reading your post that doesn't know exactly where your head is at right now. I won't hit all your questions but hope this helps:

1. This site is 'the best book' I have found. That being said, the site has its own book in its online store that you might look into.

2. The is a list of questions under the header of 'Check Points' that will cover a lot of what you want to ask. The other thing I would suggest is carry a peice of paper and pen at all times, when a question 'pops in' write it down. There are also many mnay questions asked on these boards, some answered directly and some not.

3. Recovery time is very personal. It depends on many variables such the the type of Hyst, other issues you might have (some people have other organs involved), and just you as an individual. If I understand you correctly, you are having a TLH and while this doesn't have 'the big cut' it still is invasive and the body needs to heal. Whether you will actually return in one week is yet to be seen. One thing to keep in mind, even if you can return, you will be on major major restrictions with regards to lifting and maybe standing. I am having a LSH and the paperwork my Dr filled out yesterday allows me 6 weeks, she says if we want me back earlier 'we'll talk'. I think she is very nervous about allowing me to return, after being out, for the last big push for our year end.

3. MIL's are either our greatest assets or a reminder that you take the good with the bad. You just have to find a way to tune her out and that might require involving your DH or maybe FIL. You don't need her crap and you might just have to tell her (heck, with her mindset you can blame it on the hormones later!) There are many people on here who can tell you about the challenges of getting their HRT balanced but I think for the most part, you will find they managed.

4. 'Crying in Walmart', heck I had an absolute meltdown at work one day (Thank God only one) and that was just the stress of the upcoming surgery.

5. Insomnia. Don't be real surprised if your sleeping is off from now until several months after your surgery. I haven't slept 'right' since I was advised of the need for surgery. I am just used to getting up at 1:30 for maybe 45 to 50 minutes and then going back to bed. The first week or so, I fought it, laid in bed, tossed and generally aggravated myself. I have found, I can't force it, so I might as well make the best of it.

6. Husbands. Many have said it on these boards. They have a hard time with this. Really though? He isn't coming to the hospital? Have you said you want him there? Is he taking the next day or two off? You really might need help the first couple days. Can a friend come stay/drop in during the day?

Julie - Feel free to e-mail me anytime.
Unread 08-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Thank you so much!

As I sit here bawling becuase someone knows what I am going thru, I know I am new but I love you all!. In response to the hubby issue. Yes i told him I want him there but his reasoning is 1 I have had surgery before (all outpainet) gallbladder remover and a lump for right breast) and 2 he hates hospitals and 3 I am going to be sleeping anyway, why does he need to be there. I have a week to work on him but my best friend and co worker has said she would take me if needed and help with what she can but I am afraid to ask because she has serious family issues (getting ready to kick her hubby out) and I dont want to burden anyone and my hubby would drive me up the wall if he knew that someone else knew how "loving" he was. Thanks for the deap breath part, did not realise until I read that, that I had been holding my breath lol Thanks again. Leah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2006, 05:40 AM
OK, Next questions

There can be a lot of reasons for insomnia, not just menopause. Stress can raise your blood pressure, and that can definitely keep you awake!(I speak from experience) I am sorry your husband is letting you down, right when you need him most! If your friend can come, have her stay with you~I believe it is important to have someone, especially in those first hours after surgery. (You are vulnerable and all groggy from the medication) I read books by doctors prior to my hyst- a good one was by Dr. Lauren Streicher sp? about Hysterectomy. Go to your library and type in the word "Hysterectomy" and you should find some good resources-avoid those books against hysts-you've already made your decision. It's really going to be okay-waiting is the most stressful part of this!
Unread 08-01-2006, 06:50 AM
OK, Next questions

I suffered with insomnia too before my hyst. I could go to sleep easily - I just couldn't stay asleep. It does take it's toll after awhile. My dr prescribed a sleep aid for the first couple of weeks after my tah/bso. After we got my hrt to the correct dosage, I've been sleeping much better. Being rested sure does help

I printed the "FAQ's for Family and Friends" ( Click here ) and gave it to my DH. He read it and it helped him understand more of what I was going through and how to better help me. Maybe it would be helpful to you and your hubby too.
I agree that one week sounds a bit soon to return to work. Listen to your own body, let your dr know if you don't feel well enough to return then. And, maybe at first, you can try short days.

Best wishes, I'll pray that all goes well for you - and that you can get some rest.

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register