Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 30, 2015 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 30, 2015 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 30, 2015

Unread 08-30-2015, 01:01 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 30, 2015

Welcome!

This special Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread is for YOU if you are having surgery this week. This thread chat will help you meet others who are having surgery the same week as you, calm your anxiousness, and help answer your last minute questions.

To get started, please introduce yourself, sharing a few things about yourself and your upcoming hysterectomy. Tell us what concerns you have as you prepare for your surgery.

Have patience! Because this is a "COME AND GO" event, check back here during the day for replies with answers, support and hugs from new friends. Our post-op members will be stopping by, too!

As you get to know the other members having surgery this week - you will be meeting up again, after your hysterectomy, in a special thread created just for this week's surgeries in the Post Op Hysterectomy forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2015, 01:41 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 30, 2015

Hi I'm 32. I had a 12cm ovarian cyst removed in March along with the affected ovary and tube. 4 months later there was found to be a 10cm mass between my uterus and my colon. Also two spots on my liver. A liver biopsy was unsuccessful. So here I am, scheduled for a total hysterectomy, removal of my remaining ovary, and possibly part of my liver depending on the biopsy results while I'm on the table.
I'm scared about surgical menopause at 32. I'm worried about the possible risks associated with taking HRT and not taking HRT. I'm also concerned about having a normal, enjoyable sex life because I've had sex once and I'd like to do it again lol.
Good luck to everyone.
And let me say that having had abdominal surgery from the first cyst, it's scary. But ladies, you can do this. I'm a wimp, and I see the lovely lady in the next post is afraid of needles as I was. It's ok. I hated IVs but after a little bit, it's the least of your worries.
Two big tips. Drink drink drink water leading up to surgery. Hydrate!!!! You will have to fast before surgery and you might not get as dehydrated like I did the first surgery. And the day after surgery(if you have it towards evening) or later the same day( if you have it in morning) get up and walk! It sucks! It hurts like a *****! But the sooner you move, the sooner it stops hurting. Breathe through the hurt. Push up and out of bed with your legs, not your core. Trust me on this. Get moving. No offense to the wonderful forums here, but a lot of the info talks about taking it easy. Don't lounge around in the hospital. You have to move so you don't get blood clots, don't get pneumonia, and so you get those muscles back to fighting shape. Of course I'm speaking about abdominal hysterectomy.
Ok I've blabbed enough! Onward!!!
Unread 08-30-2015, 01:42 AM

Morning. I‘m Caro and I‘m having a laproscopic hysterectomy on Thursday. I‘m very very scared. My pre-op appt didn‘t go well as they couldn‘t get the bloods they needed: my veins kept collapsing due, I think, to my anxiety. Took them 6 goes to get two samples! I‘m phobic about needles and canulas esp because they have to stay in my body for any longer than it takes to have an injection. I can‘t bear the idea of my body being messed with and this is exactly what‘s planned for me this week. Ulp. Add to this that I‘ve been off HRT for 10 days and my mood is dipping and my partner is away setting up a sound system at Notting Hill Carnival. It‘s his passion but I feel anything but grown up about it: I want him here with me. I‘m seeing friends though and my best friend, who‘s coming over this afternoon, had a successful hysterectomy in April so she‘s a big comfort.

Any advice or soothing words welcome.

And good luck to everyone who‘s going in this week.

Love

Caro x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2015, 02:59 AM

Hello ladies
I'm having a TAH on Wednesday and I'm an absolute nervous wreck ! I'm having it for heavy bleeding and I'm at the stage now where I'm convincing myself that I'm ok really and surgery is unnecessary but deep down I know it is ! I feel so desperately for you Caro not having your man around at this worrying time. I'm in the UK too so it's nice to think we are on the same island ! I'm worried my op may be cancelled as it's the good old NHS! But I keep on thinking about the op and how embarrassing my body is and I don't want anyone looking at me as I'm a mess ! I know I'll be asleep but I can't stand the thought of being laughed at whilst I'm not in control! I'm also scared about what they'll find! I've been having seriously bad ovarian pain recently but haven't told my consultant ! Idiot I know but I am so I scared . I can take pain and once it's done there's nothing I can do about it but I'm scared about orgasms and sex! And I know I'm not gonna feel like a woman anymore when the baby bag goes! It's been life having had 4 children for which I am greatful everyday but I'm gonna feel like pooh! I'm already depressed so this is gonna finish me off ! I'm sick of my husband kids and consultant telling me to get rid of my ovaries coz I'm 48 but I want to keep them ! I wish some people would just keep quiet !im so sorry to rant especially since all of us on here are in the same boat but if my husband doesn't pin me down I'm going to do a runner from the hospital !i am so thinking of everyone on here and send my biggest hugs and kisses but I am absolutely petrified so I'm about as useful as a chocolate teapot for any support ! Good luck everyone ! x
  Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroXXX View Post
Morning. I‘m Caro and I‘m having a laproscopic hysterectomy on Thursday. I‘m very very scared. My pre-op appt didn‘t go well as they couldn‘t get the bloods they needed: my veins kept collapsing due, I think, to my anxiety. Took them 6 goes to get two samples! I‘m phobic about needles and canulas esp because they have to stay in my body for any longer than it takes to have an injection. I can‘t bear the idea of my body being messed with and this is exactly what‘s planned for me this week. Ulp. Add to this that I‘ve been off HRT for 10 days and my mood is dipping and my partner is away setting up a sound system at Notting Hill Carnival. It‘s his passion but I feel anything but grown up about it: I want him here with me. I‘m seeing friends though and my best friend, who‘s coming over this afternoon, had a successful hysterectomy in April so she‘s a big comfort.

Any advice or soothing words welcome.

And good luck to everyone who‘s going in this week.

Love

Caro x
Unread 08-30-2015, 03:02 AM

Hi there,
I am scheduled to have total laparoscopic hysterectomy keeping the most normal ovary. I have severe adhesions due to endo and not looking forward to the pain! Actually the pain idea is freaking me out as I am allergic to mostly all painkillers and anti inflams. Been told they will be administering fentanyl hope it is powerful enough. If anyone has any experience with fentanyl I would love to hear from. You'd think that after so many surgeries you should be ok well not when it is that drastic and when you're body and immune system are at their weakest.
Good luck to all of you ladies having it this week!!
Unread 08-30-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie-Claire View Post
Hi there,
I am scheduled to have total laparoscopic hysterectomy keeping the most normal ovary. I have severe adhesions due to endo and not looking forward to the pain! Actually the pain idea is freaking me out as I am allergic to mostly all painkillers and anti inflams. Been told they will be administering fentanyl hope it is powerful enough. If anyone has any experience with fentanyl I would love to hear from. You'd think that after so many surgeries you should be ok well not when it is that drastic and when you're body and immune system are at their weakest.
Good luck to all of you ladies having it this week!!
Darling, breathe I've been through the abdominal surgery process before. It's not a walk in the park, but it's not a horror show either. In fact, it doesn't hurt as much as you'd think it would.
It's gonna be ok. And to the lovely lady who said she would run in her hubby didn't pin here down: don't run. You can't run from your own body. Be brave, love. Without the bits that make you miserable, you can feel like a wonderful, sexy, lively woman!!!
Now for a tip I forgot: use the incentivspirometer (sp ?) the gadget they will have you blow into. It helps to keep your lungs strengthened after surgery. Just do what they tell you. It will be a little sore at first go blow really hard, but it will keep you from getting pneumonia, which makes you cough, which isn't pleasant.
another tip I forgot, and I'm not sure how it goes in the UK, but in the USA I highly reccomend requesting scopalamine. I have a reaction to anesthesia; it makes me vomit. And you don't want to be wretching with an abdominal incision. Ask for it or tell your anesthesiologist that you get nauseous, if you do like me. Last time I had surgery I asked for the good stuff that keeps you from throwing up. They hooked me up, literally and figuratively! Lol
I'm just full of pearls of wisdom.
Unread 08-30-2015, 04:22 AM

Hi all

I am in the UK also and am scheduled to have a TAH and RSO on Friday this week . Having already had two lots of laparoscopic surgery to remove the left ovary completely and drain a cyst on the right ovary , I am quite apprehensive about having a bigger incision and about losing my remaining ovary. Although I am 45 and have my two children .. I am feeling quite emotional with regard to the op and I have huge concerns about menopause symptoms afterwards too .. Lots going round in my head at the minute . I have also been given the advice to keep moving after the op as much as possible ..taking short walks around the house etc . Also i have been told to drink more water than usual as I have low blood pressure but also to keep hydrated ... . I usually need extra fluids after an anaesthetic because of my blood pressure ...anyway enough about me .. Sending Love and best wishes to everyone on here and good luck for this week .
Unread 08-30-2015, 05:14 AM

Hi all, I'm 29 and I'm going in on Wednesday for TAH. My emotions have been all over the place this week but I have a lot of support. Hardest thing for me now is gonna b doing as I'm told to help me recover. I'm not one for sitting around n taking it easy. Even though my children's dad is deployed over seas he is in regular contact with them and also me which I think is really good of him. He feels bad that he can't help look after the kids but my new partner and my family have stepped up to do that all and he is very grateful for that. I hope my children can cope with all this, but I have been totally honest with them about the op n recovery so they r aware of what's to come. Massive hugs going to everyone who is in the same boat this week, I'm sure we will all do great xxxxz
Unread 08-30-2015, 05:20 AM

Hi I'm triciaand I'm having surgery Wednesday
Unread 08-30-2015, 06:46 AM

Hi ladies,

I'm having robotic assisted surgery tomorrow (Monday) for a total hysterectomy including cervix and my 10 cm fibroid. I will try to keep my ovaries. I'm in pretty good spirits and relaxed mindset but a little sad (I am 45 and my husband and I have no children), but dealing with it. I am a little concerned about the pain, remembering my endometrial surgery from 15 years ago. But I am feeling strong and I know I can do this. I'm focusing on the positive and treating it like a Rite of Passage.... I will come out stronger, wiser on the other side. Like a mythological heroine. Haha. It helps.

Good luck to everyone who is going in this week. We got this

Much love,

Cat
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register