I'm back - what to do next? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm back - what to do next? I'm back - what to do next?

Unread 03-09-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm back - what to do next?

Hello!

I'm almost a year out from myomectomy, d&c, ablation and mirena. While I saw significant improvement right after the procedures (thank goodness no more flooding) I am now having bleeding for more days per month than without. Over the last couple months I have also had increasing cramping and migraines again.

The last time I had a mirena, I loved it and had only a day or two of spotting each month but that was pre-fibroids. I am still happy that I tried since it has given me the time to learn more.

So what's next? I have received a few opinions and I am blessed to have basically every option. I am a few years away from 40 which is also a consideration.

Meds until menopause? Not really an option for me. I did this prior to the last surgery and it helped but thew off other systems and gave me acne, weight gain and hot flashes.

Try the ablation again? I've been told that if I was older this might be a viable option. At my age it may or may not work.

Hysterectomy? I am a good candidate for minimally invasive but I am nervous of complications and side effects.

Challenge is how to make the decision. How bad is bad enough for a hysterectomy. I appreciate any perspectives. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Re: I'm back - what to do next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurryWaitWatch View Post
...How bad is bad enough for a hysterectomy. I appreciate any perspectives. Thank you.
When your pain begins to impact the quality of your life, it is time. It was bad enough when my pain began to impact my job (needing to leave early and/or call in sick), plan events around my cycle because I new my pain was at its worst 3-8 days before my period, and finally I just became reclusive during treatment because my pain increased from a few days a month to nearly everyday. This was excruciating pain that no OTC, codeine, vicodin/hydrocodone/Norco, Percocet or Dilaudid could touch.

You are a strong woman and have taken a strong, open-minded approach to your condition by trying all of the alternative treatments that you have experimented with...some of which had positive results for you for some time. AND, you are very wise to be weighing your options and gathering as much information as possible.

I encourage you to begin writing down your questions as you gain information so that you may ask them at future appointments with your doctor. This appears to be something you are not going to rush into so you should have ample time to ask as many questions of your doctor as necessary to help you make your decision.

Good luck with your decision making
Unread 03-13-2016, 07:23 PM

Thank you Desilu. Reading through all the different threads is helpful to see that the decision is hard to make and all the questions we should be asking.

I am thankful to have some time to make the decision and weigh my options. The fear of the hysterectomy surgery and possible challenges is just so real. Having already had an ablation, it seems like an easy decision. I just don't want to be in the same place a year from now.

I'm glad that no women in my family have had to deal with this before but there are times I wish I knew some one with first hand experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2016, 10:36 PM

Have any of your doctors been able to tell you why your symptoms are returning? What is causing the bleeding? Are there any options you haven't tired?
Unread 03-14-2016, 03:00 AM

I had fibroids and bleed like I cut an artery some times, plus the pain. I tried the alternatives UFE and Lupron shots. I live on ibuprofen to help with the pain. The company had pain zappers packets in the meds cabinet and I took them also.

I was in pain after my period came back. It took 4 years for me to say enough was enough. I develop a bump on my left side which made it hard to tie my show or bend over.

It had to go. Thats when I knew I needed the hysterectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register