Heavy bleeding, cysts, but no insurance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heavy bleeding, cysts, but no insurance Heavy bleeding, cysts, but no insurance

Unread 02-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Heavy bleeding, cysts, but no insurance

I could really use some opinions from those that know more about having a hysterectomy than I do.

For several years, I have dealt with extremely heavy, non-stop periods. They come with large clots and lots of painful cramping. My doctor tried different bc pills to regulate me, none worked...the periods didn't even stop on them. About 2 years ago, I went to the ER with a different kind of pain, and I ended up being told that I had a cyst on my right ovary. Over the last two years, I developed another cyst on my left ovary. Both continue to regularly increase in size. I have also been very anemic.

In the last couple of months, I have had relief from the non-stop periods, but they are still bad when I do have them. Three weeks ago I had one and it lasted for 7 days and I used approximately 50-60 super plus tampons, plus pads in that time. Often times, I had to change them every 15 minutes.

On Sunday night, I began having the pain which I associate with my ovarian cyst. I tried my best to deal with it and finally yesterday (Wednesday) I went to the ER. I had lots of tests done...cat scan, U/S, x-rays, bloodwork and the end result was being told that they see a large "mass" in my pelvic area, which is probably my ovarian cysts (I now have them on both ovaries), but they can't be 100% sure. They believe the "mass" to be causing my pain. They called a ob/gyn in and he has recommended that I have a total hysterectomy. He feels that with my pain (which is AWFUL when an attack comes on) and the heavy periods he sees this as the only option at this point.

I used to want a hysterectomy so this could end. And I I still do (for the most part), but I don't have health insurance at this point so this will hurt us financially. The doctor has agreed to do his part for $1000 upfront, so pending my payment to him, I will have my hysterectomy on February 27. I just wonder if anyone else here has been in my position (my symptoms). I wonder if I should wait...and cope with the pain and heavy bleeding...or if I am hurting myself worse by doing that. Can these things go away? Is there something else I could do? The doctors say no. Anyone been here?

BTW, I am 32, with 3 children and no desire to have anymore children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2006, 04:10 PM

WOW! I am not sure what to tell you! I think that you should be able to contact the hospital and work out some sort of payment plan. Even just a few dollars a month. I hope you don't have to forgo this surgery since it sounds like it will really help your quality of life!!!! Sending huge hugs to you! Raymo
Unread 02-17-2006, 09:02 AM

You might do a search on the forums for cost of hysterectomy. I know I had seen a thread somewhere where women shared their final bills. I did not have insurance for many years, and I really sympathize with you. Our health care system in the US just *****. In my case, there were literally no options for me other than to take out individual insurance, which I can hardly afford. It's costing me $437 per month. There are plans for less called EPO's, but they tend to cut out laboratory and radiology testing, only covering about $500 worth per year. Plus, even if you take out insurance now, you might have to wait the full period (12 months in my plan) for the pre-existing condition clause to run out. Still, I would go to www.ehealthinsurance.com and actually call them and tell them your situation and try to find out if there is a plan that would work for you and ultimately save you money. Also check your state's website and look up health insurance at http://www.state.tn.us/commerce/insu...insurance.html. FInally, also talk to the hospital about the total cost and a payment plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2006, 09:12 AM

I am afraid it never went away for me, it only got worse to the point where it almost cost me my life. You will never be able to ignore this and it will go away. You will just have to trust that the financial aspect of it will all work out and concentrate on y-o-u getting better. There is only one of you and I know how sacrificing we Mom's are, but what good are you for your children if you lose your health? Please don't delay in getting the help that you need, it sounds like time is of the essence. God bless- prayers and hugs-Cath
Unread 02-18-2006, 07:17 PM

My dad had no insurance and had to have hernia surg. He paid his aneth., surg, and hosp room upfront. The hospital sent him a bill for $12,000 after all these fees. It was an outpatient procedure. He had gotten an original quote of $8,000 total for EVERYTHING. He has now contacted a lawyer b/c of things they charged him that he did not use and they had already quoted him a lower price. I am not trying to scare you but wanted you to know how some hospitals do. My mom said when she was paying for the other stuff up front, that the office people there did not even know how to act! :confuse:
My SIL works for a drs office and they do charity cases. She said many drs will write it off at the end of the yr for tax purposes. You may want to see if this is a possibility. Ask the hospital or dr office and see if anything like this is available for you.
Hope you find out something soon so you don't have to go through this pain and bleeding anymore. I will be for you. GOOD LUCK
Unread 02-20-2006, 12:23 AM

dabdb1990
Sounds like we are in the same boat here. I only have one cyst on my right ovary but it's really big and covers my entire pelvic area. It's taken me 6 months of trying to get some sort of insurance to even find out what was wrong with me. All I can reccomend to you is this : First check out the state funded insurance (medicaid) no harm in at least applying and seeing if they will approve you. That will take at least 30 days to find out if your approved and Second: call the local hospitals around you and specifically ask to speak to the finical dept. The hospital here in Jax,FL offered income based insurance but I never knew it until a nurse from another hospital's ER room told me. This one requires that I be recently denied by Medcaid so I had to try for that anyway. I'm still struggling with both agencies about the insurance but things are moving forward now and I can finally get this horrible problem and the constant pain and uncomfort relieved. I wish you the best of luck and will be thinking of you!
Unread 02-20-2006, 05:27 AM

I had to go on state aid for a little while right after my hyst due to the girls being so little. I would look into seeing if you don't qualify for medipass. They pro rate it back about three months. If you are under a certain income for your number of family members you are good. It is just an idea. Don't be ashamed for me suggesting it. I was. I hated the idea. But it really helped. Especially when my older dd had 6 cavities al at one time. She was on bottled water with the formula when she was a baby and it didn't have flouride in it. Now I know better.
Unread 02-20-2006, 06:18 PM

This is one of the reasons "why" we flew to India
to have mine done. 10 days in "suite" marble floors,
queen beds, marble sit in shower, fridge, micro, flat
screen tv, computer w/internet in room (like a suite)
Total 10 cost was $ 2,357 included a complete health
check for hubby (including colonostomy & prostrate)
would of cost 4 grand here to have all that was done
to my husband alone. I also had a complete mammogram
$7.50 No need for either pain med's or anitbiotics. And we
put the whole trip/surgery on a credit card. In fact
when I got out of the hospital (10 days later) we had the
taxi take us to the shopping mall. Healed right up, and
felt fantastic afterwards. In fact we plan to head back
over to India this fall for dental work (crownes $ 80 bucks)
Those doctors over there are simply brilliant!!! And I've
never known a surgeon to give you his "private" cell phone
and home phone numbers, hold your hand, and tell you to
call if any type of discomfort or questions. Those folks over
there trip over themselves to "serve you" will we go back???
Absolutely!!!
God Bless
Ronda
Unread 02-20-2006, 10:30 PM

I am so sorry abour your situation. I know money may be an issue, but I would still suggest at least a second opinion before having a hyst. Have you asked the dr if you can wait awhile or if you absolutely need a hyst now? There are times when a hyst can be post poned for a time, but not always. Mine was within 2 weeks of my dr saying I needed one.
I wish you the best for your health and financial situation. in there!
Unread 02-21-2006, 01:27 AM

I agree with your getting a second opinion. Have not experienced your symptoms, but know others who have.

If all you had to do was to endure pain and bleeding until you could save enough money, or.......better yet........get into a job, just for the insurance (This would take much less time than saving the total amount needed...), you could probably "buck up" and do it. HOWEVER, the mass....even if it proves to be persistant ovarian cysts.....absolutely needs to be dealt with. Simple ovarian cysts can be reduced by special drugs, but yours do not sound simple. Of course, you should get a second opinion before having any surgery, but..........from the little you've told us here, it sounds like surgery is inevitable. It sounds like, if you wait much longer, you could have a real mess in your abdomen, which means that....by the time you do have surgery.......recovery could definitely be more complicated.

Am so sorry you have such complicated decisions to make.

Money comes, and money goes.........and there is likely opportunity to get more. We are issued only one body in this lifetime, however.........the better we care for it, the more potential we have for survival.

Take care......................s.......Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register